What Should Be First Step To Start Car In Winters?

Thread Starter #1
Hi!

Winters has now commenced. My question is that when taking the car in the Morning, what should be the first step.

Should we start the car and immediately drive? will it not effect the engine.

The best is to keep the engine idle for quite some time till the temp is reached to a normal level so that the engine is not effected and oil reaches all parts.

If we will start the car immediately it will effect the engine and will put more pressure and FE will reduce.

Please comment.

I think idling for sometime (say 30 sec) at the start, helps for Turbo Diesel engines. I don't think Petrol engine needs to be done this way.

Yeah RSM!! you are correct!! it will be mentioned clearly in the manual to idle the car for 30 seconds before starting and also stopping!! this is the case with turbo-charged engines!!

But i dont think we have to wait till the engine temp reaches the normal level!! it takes around3-5 mins in my car!! don know about the others!!

Thread Starter #4
Petrol also requires idling for 3-5 minutes.

When I was in Russia I used to idle the engine for full 5-10 minutes in the morning as in Winters the temp there is -25 to -35

But here temperatures don go too low like that so 30 seconds is enough as prescribed by the manufacturers!!

But anyways thanks for the info!! i don know much about petrol cars as i have not owned one till now!!!

Yeah RSM!! you are correct!! it will be mentioned clearly in the manual to idle the car for 30 seconds before starting and also stopping!! this is the case with turbo-charged engines!!

But i dont think we have to wait till the engine temp reaches the normal level!! it takes around3-5 mins in my car!! don know about the others!!
In Punto's manual it is clearly mention, no need to keep idle at start. They recommended just start and move the vehicle slowly for few minutes. But i keep it idle for around 30 sec. (most of the time).

In Punto's manual it is clearly mention, no need to keep idle at start. They recommended just start and move the vehicle slowly for few minutes. But i keep it idle for around 30 sec. (most of the time).
Thats strange!!! in mine its given just the opposite!!! yours is also a turbo charged diesel diesel rite???

In manual, they didn't mention there is any harm for keeping idling for sometime. They mentioned its not required and after engine start, you can start moving slowly.

Thread Starter #11
Yes if your start immediately then you will have to move slowly. The car will not accelerate much even if you will try to do it. It might get stalled.

350Z

Core Team
Hi!

Winters has now commenced. My question is that when taking the car in the Morning, what should be the first step.

Should we start the car and immediately drive? will it not effect the engine.

The best is to keep the engine idle for quite some time till the temp is reached to a normal level so that the engine is not effected and oil reaches all parts.

If we will start the car immediately it will effect the engine and will put more pressure and FE will reduce.

Please comment.
Since all the cars now come with an advanced and computerised system unlike the ones earlier. Its recommended by Car manufaturers to wait for atleast 15 Seconds before starting the car.
Insert the key, Turn it to "Acc" (Accessories) Position, Count 1-15 and then completely switch ON the engine. There are many people who immediately start their cars, Which isn't a good practice.

As far as the winter issues are concerned, There shouldn't be any other problems, Just keep in check the oil, Fuel levels, Tyre Pressures and follow the above mentioned point.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Top Bottom