What Should Be First Step To Start Car In Winters?

Since all the cars now come with an advanced and computerised system unlike the ones earlier. Its recommended by Car manufaturers to wait for atleast 15 Seconds before starting the car.
Insert the key, Turn it to "Acc" (Accessories) Position, Count 1-15 and then completely switch ON the engine. There are many people who immediately start their cars, Which isn't a good practice.

As far as the winter issues are concerned, There shouldn't be any other problems, Just keep in check the oil, Fuel levels, Tyre Pressures and follow the above mentioned point.

Drive Safe!
350Z
Same thing is mentioned in Punto's manual, that key should be kept ar ACC (or MAR in punto diesel) for sometime. They didn't mention to count, but it has mentioned to wait till all the functionality are activated (you can see on the MID) and then start and move.

But its mentioned in my manual the engine should be turned on within 10 seconds after all the functionality are activated in IGNITION position!! That is only max 10 secs in ignition position!! If it exceeds that then i switch it OFF and switch ON again!!!

usually, wait for 5 seconds after inserting key to ACC mode, and wait for another 5-10 seconds before moving, also make sure while putting off, wait for few seconds and let the turbo settle down, else would harm it.Just let the turbo settle down and put off the ignition.Gives longer life to diesel engines.

I think idling for sometime (say 30 sec) at the start, helps for Turbo Diesel engines. I don't think Petrol engine needs to be done this way.
Yeah RSM!! you are correct!! it will be mentioned clearly in the manual to idle the car for 30 seconds before starting and also stopping!! this is the case with turbo-charged engines!!

But i dont think we have to wait till the engine temp reaches the normal level!! it takes around3-5 mins in my car!! don know about the others!!
But here temperatures don go too low like that so 30 seconds is enough as prescribed by the manufacturers!!

But anyways thanks for the info!! i don know much about petrol cars as i have not owned one till now!!!
usually, wait for 5 seconds after inserting key to ACC mode, and wait for another 5-10 seconds before moving, also make sure while putting off, wait for few seconds and let the turbo settle down, else would harm it.Just let the turbo settle down and put off the ignition.Gives longer life to diesel engines.
Turbo charged engines say in their manual to idle the car before starting and stopping. THe reason is not engine temperature, but turbo temperature. The Turbo needs a good supply of oil before it starts spooling, else the turbo bearings and oil seals are gonna get abeating due to insufficient oil supply.
Same case while stopping. The heated turbo must cool down before oil supply to it is cut off.

As to regarding invertal between Acc and On, can someone explain the reason for this??[confused]

Its all told in details by TAINZ AUTOGURUS about diesel automobiles.I would like to throw some light on petrol vehicles.I am considering environment temperature 10> celsius till sub-zero temperatures.I am just mentioning from the moment after checking oil levels,etc.

For Carburator Engines:-

First press your accelerator pedal 3-times,keeping your gear in neutral.Then pull up the choke knob and turn the ignition key on and then crank.If the engine dont start press down the choke knob immediately.Then again after 5-7seconds pull up the choke knob and turn the ignition key and crank.it will start.Keep it in idle for 5-10mins depending on the temperature.The lower the temperature the more you have to keep the engine in idle.After the specified idle time period,press down the choke knob down and hold your accelerator and press gradually to check whether the increase in rpm is gradual or not.If there is sluggishness in gradual increment of the rpm then again pull the choke and leave it for few more moment.But please dont move your vehicle just after the first ignition without idling cause if your acceleration is sluggish, you wont get best performance from your car till it overcome the sluggishness, which will be totally gone after idling.

For MPFI engine:-

Dont press the accelerator(as usual) and turn the ignition to on position and wait for around 3-5 seconds until the fuel reaches the injectors.Then start the engine.and keep it in idle for 5-10mins depending on the temperature.The lower the temperature the more you have to keep the engine in idle.Then after the specified idle time period,press the accelerator and check whether the increment in rpm is gradual or sluggishness is there,keeping the gear in neutral.If there is still some sluggishness then again keep the engine on idle for few more seconds or else you can move the vehicle gradually.Hope it help petrol vehicle owners/drivers.

Last edited:
I was thinking pressing accelerator before switching-on engine for safety purpose, i never knew that so much things happen behind.
Well, if you press the accelerator more than once during the day and more than 3 times before cold start in a carb engine before starting during your drive, excess fuel will get in the chamber which will prevent the engine from starting.

The same way, for an mpfi engine if you press the accelerator before starting the engine, excess fuel will accumulate and engine will not start.

Hi!

Winters has now commenced. My question is that when taking the car in the Morning, what should be the first step.

Should we start the car and immediately drive? will it not effect the engine.

The best is to keep the engine idle for quite some time till the temp is reached to a normal level so that the engine is not effected and oil reaches all parts.

If we will start the car immediately it will effect the engine and will put more pressure and FE will reduce.

Please comment.
Start your car,race a little & you are ready to move. The engine is not at all effected & you don't need to worry about the oil reaching all parts too.

It will also affect the engine life and will give the low FE.
This is another wrong statement.If your engine is built to handle so much of heat why do you think the cold will affect it ? If you are still in a doubt,people from the north side (Kashmir,Punjab,etc) have similar engines as on your car & the temp there is way to low. So stop worrying & enjoy driving.

The car's run fast in the morning as the air temp is low.So just floor the throttle.[:)]

For Carburator Engines:-

First press your accelerator pedal 3-times,keeping your gear in neutral.Then pull up the choke knob and turn the ignition key on and then crank.If the engine dont start press down the choke knob immediately.Then again after 5-7seconds pull up the choke knob and turn the ignition key and crank.it will start.Keep it in idle for 5-10mins depending on the temperature.The lower the temperature the more you have to keep the engine in idle.After the specified idle time period,press down the choke knob down and hold your accelerator and press gradually to check whether the increase in rpm is gradual or not.If there is sluggishness in gradual increment of the rpm then again pull the choke and leave it for few more moment.But please dont move your vehicle just after the first ignition without idling cause if your acceleration is sluggish, you wont get best performance from your car till it overcome the sluggishness, which will be totally gone after idling.

For MPFI engine:-

Dont press the accelerator(as usual) and turn the ignition to on position and wait for around 3-5 seconds until the fuel reaches the injectors.Then start the engine.and keep it in idle for 5-10mins depending on the temperature.The lower the temperature the more you have to keep the engine in idle.Then after the specified idle time period,press the accelerator and check whether the increment in rpm is gradual or sluggishness is there,keeping the gear in neutral.If there is still some sluggishness then again keep the engine on idle for few more seconds or else you can move the vehicle gradually.

Hope it help petrol vehicle owners/drivers.

CARB CAR's -

1)There is no need to press the accelerator pedal 3-times.
2) Pleas don't hurt you engine by keeping the choke open for 5-10 min's.
The choke is provided to increase the petrol flow just to start the car.As soon as the car starts,just revv it and push down the choke.Never use the choke for more than 1 or max to max 2 min's.It causes more flow of petrol,nothing else.
3)There is no need to press down the choke if the car doesn't start in first time.The choke is nothing but a small mechanism connected to the carb which on pulling lets more more fuel in the engine.
So if the car doesn't start in the first go no need to push back the choke.Let it remain & try to crank again.

{Have owned a carb zen,used to start it at DOT 7 am (for collg) without choke,did it for 1 sem (6 months) no bad effects.Used to move the car with in 5 seconds of starting & i am sure you can guess my driving style]

MPFi Car's -

Dude you got to be kidding me, 5-10 min's of idling for a MPFI car ? Why ?
Whats wrong ? Just start the car & move it.Don't care about the temp,etc in a MPFi car please.
One's the mpfi cars start they never experience the sluggishness in the RPM thing.(ECU controls it)

MPFI - MULTI POINT FUEL INJECTION - Controlled By ECU (computer) You don't need to worry at all. Start the car & you are read to fly.You drive it in a sane way or like a crazy psycho doesn't matter to the engine at all.

Well, if you press the accelerator more than once during the day and more than 3 times before cold start in a carb engine before starting during your drive, excess fuel will get in the chamber which will prevent the engine from starting.

The same way, for an mpfi engine if you press the accelerator before starting the engine, excess fuel will accumulate and engine will not start.

The engine gives a dam about you pressing the accelerator in a carb or mpfi car before cranking the engine.No matter how many times you do it or nothings gonna happen.Even if you do it after turning the key to acc mode or even further it where all the engine lights glow NOTHING IS GONNA HAPPEN.

Because until the you crank the engine,let the cam shaft revolve which in turn opens the intake valves & THEN THE FUEL AIR ENTER THE ENGINE.

Just make sure you don't press the accelerator during cracking(starting) the engine because the min amount of air & fuel mixture to enter into your engine is decided by the ECU & its perfect taking consideration of the temp,etc.

Where as in a carb car there are no computers checking the temp & the amount of air-fuel that needs to enter the engine during could start so you can press the accelerator while cranking (Starting) so that you put in more fuel & air mixture.

Last edited:
Whats wrong ? Just start the car & move it.Don't care about the temp,etc in a MPFi car please.
One's the mpfi cars start they never experience the sluggishness in the RPM thing.(ECU controls it)
I think Neil is correct here, even manual says start engine and move slowly, no need to wait. (Its for my MJD diesel though).

CARB CAR's -

1)There is no need to press the accelerator pedal 3-times.

2) Pleas don't hurt you engine by keeping the choke open for 5-10 min's.
The choke is provided to increase the petrol flow just to start the car.As soon as the car starts,just revv it and push down the choke.Never use the choke for more than 1 or max to max 2 min's.It causes more flow of petrol,nothing else.

3)There is no need to press down the choke if the car doesn't start in first time.The choke is nothing but a small mechanism connected to the carb which on pulling lets more more fuel in the engine.
So if the car doesn't start in the first go no need to push back the choke.Let it remain & try to crank again.

{Have owned a carb zen,used to start it at DOT 7 am (for collg) without choke,did it for 1 sem (6 months) no bad effects.Used to move the car with in 5 seconds of starting & i am sure you can guess my driving style]
I have mentioned to press accelerator pedal 3-times because on a cold winter morning, say on Vibhor's birthday(25th dec),when the temperature is around 4 or 5 degree celsius(in Aizawl),even you pull the choke, the engine wont start on the first crank.To initiate a start on first crank itself,this has to be done , because by this sufficient fuel including fuel with application of choke,will be there and also for repeated crank ,self-starter unit and battery experiences heavy stress and in extreme cases after 2-3 attempts it may fail also.

Yes I agree with you that choke is provided to increase the fuel during cold start.But it is also required to keep it on for 4-5mins (even 5-10mins in extreme conditions not generally) on cold mornings I mentioned above.Because I have experienced myself,when the engine is cranked with choke on, the engine get started, and if immediately the choke fully closed and the engine is revved with accelerator pedal, the engine shuts down immediately after you press it.But I would like to mention precisely that the choke should not be opened totally after the first 2-3 mins , it should be half open or less than half, depending on the rpm of the engine you listen,it goes on increasing after 3-4mins, so the choke should be reduced and closed asap, as soon as the normal engine rpm is reached, and then the engine should be on idling without any accelerator or choke.Then you can move your vehicle or shut down, as you wish.

In the third point, as you said, it is not needed to put off the choke,I dont agree.Because as you said application of choke increases flow of fuel into the engine,then when there is excess fuel in the engine the engine wont start.Even you will smell petrol inside the cabin also at the same time.Then you have to wait for few seconds or even 1 or 2 mins depending on how long it takes to normalize, then you can crank again.So I suggest to put off the choke while not cranking.You can put the choke on just 1sec before you crank. And there should be a gap of 4-5 seconds between two successive cranks if the engine dont start,as if it is not maintained then the battery and self-starter unit will fail as the power required for the next crank will not match the power provided by the battery and the self-starter at a quick-crank situation.

Well,may I know the six months mentioned by you ,belong to which six months of the year and in which place you drove for those 6months?

MPFi Car's -

MPFI - MULTI POINT FUEL INJECTION - Controlled By ECU (computer) You don't need to worry at all. Start the car & you are read to fly.You drive it in a sane way or like a crazy psycho doesn't matter to the engine at all.
I agree that MPFI engines can be moved as soon as they are started in any morning, but after cold start and mostly on severe cold mornings, if you press the accelerator and want to run the car at 50-60km/h speed or may be 40km/h also, the seconds in which it is achieved in the morning after first crank, is much more than any other part of the day.I experienced it and even some of clients who live in such places face the same consequences.Its normal.

The ECU controls the injection of the fuel inside the engine,mixing of the air with fuel,cooling of the engine,but the temperature of the engine is increased by the burning of fuel inside the engine,it is not controlled directly by ECU.So during the cold start the minimum threshold temperature of the engine cannot be reached by ECU--(a mere computer but not a heating coil) , unless it is reached by the continuous combustion of the fuel inside the engine, which takes time say a few mins generally.And if the temperature mentioned is not reached then even you press down the accelerator to the floor the momentum you need for your vehicle cant be achieved so easily in few seconds as achieved in other parts of the from the same vehicle, and it will unnecessarily impart stress on the ECU and the engine.

-----------Next Post-----------

even manual says start engine and move slowly, no need to wait. (Its for my MJD diesel though).
Dear RSM,
its good to follow manufacturer's owner's manual in most of the cases, but in cases like driving techniques and behaviors one should follow what is needed at his own city,terrain,environment and weather.Because manufacturer's suggestions are based on their vehicle's trial and tests which were done on very standard conditions in a well maintained manner which does not match the vast diversified environment,terrain,environment,weather,temperature,etc of the automobile buyer's place.So take the useful tips from the manual but follow what ever is applicable to your place and ammend them which best suit your place and help you to maintain the best health of your loved vehicle.[:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that MPFI engines can be moved as soon as they are started in any morning, but after cold start and mostly on severe cold mornings, if you press the accelerator and want to run the car at 50-60km/h speed or may be 40km/h also, the seconds in which it is achieved in the morning after first crank, is much more than any other part of the day.I experienced it and even some of clients who live in such places face the same consequences.Its normal.
This is absolutely same as written in Manual. They have mentioned that you can move the car immediatley, but it takes sometime to reach to its performance.
This is the reason, every manual suggest avoid driving a car for short duration in heavy traffic.

Again you are wrong.Mpfi & carb cars/bikes actually are fastest in the morning because the temperatures of air & engine are low.Who told you they are slow in 0 to 60 or 40 in the morning ?
This is correct, but it takes 3-5 mins. in morning for your engine to give performance.

The idea is the engine needs heat-up in morning, but driving slowly gives better heat than start and idling.

Top Bottom