What is a Temporary Registration Number?

Excellent information 350Z
In Mumbai Pune region couple of times I have seen number plate in Black with Yellow numbers.
I wonder what significance of this color combination is in number plate.
Sure that it may not be mistake or user preference of having such number plate.

I know White number plate with black numbers means private vehicles
Yellow number plate with black numbers is tourist vehicle
Black number plate with yellow numbers is puzzle .
My friend had bought some octavias & had given it for taxi use to 5 star hotels,his cars had black with yellow letterings,usually this means car is reg under a private person & given away to the hospitality industry as they do not have to pay duty or other taxes for the car,I remember seeing a RR Phantom with such numb plates they are usually cars which are used in hospitality industry.

And as for the temp reg having validity of one month if you got your car on 20th the end of the month 31st it is considered expired,you have to pay a small sum as penalty when you reg the this is what I have heard(& experienced).

Temporary Registration number validity

Hey Guys,

First of all sorry If I happen to post this question in the wrong section.

I was just curious to know the validity of the Temporary Registration number that is provided by the dealer for your new car. I heard, in Mumbai its only valid for 1 day any one from Mumbai/Thane confirm that please ?

Thanks in Advance [:)]

Thread Starter #18

350Z

Core Team
I was just curious to know the validity of the Temporary Registration number that is provided by the dealer for your new car. I heard, in Mumbai its only valid for 1 day any one from Mumbai/Thane confirm that please ?
Normally temporary registration number is valid for atleast one month. Please check with the dealership for more details.

Drive Safe,
350Z

350z
is the temp reg number given by dealer when we make the final payment

because I have read through threads that its not wise thing to leave car with dealer after making full payment

The temporary regn number is also allotted by the RTO office.
In Tamil Nadu, you need to take the vehicle to the RTO office for temporary regn also and also it is compulsory to get temp regn if you want to register under another RTO office.
Where as in Andhra Pradesh, once the showroom person pays the tax for the vehicle, the temporary number is allotted and regn certificate is issues and it is valid for ONE month.

Little surprized to see this thread not growing to the level it would ideally have been expected.

Anyways I would request for information on few of my questions:

1. What does a "A/F" in case of new vehicle stands for and communicates. I have seen these paper stickers a lot in Noida /Ghaziabad regions

2. Does it cost Dealer to get a TEMP number for new vehicles they sell? If Yes I can understand why my SA says "TEMP number are issues for interstate registrations only and not for same state" i.e. if I am buying from Ghaziabad and registering it in Delhi, then only this would be required.

3. He says I can drive around for a month with A/F till the permanent numbers are available. What are my options to have a number before I hit the roads.

Thanks

Thread Starter #22

350Z

Core Team
1. What does a "A/F" in case of new vehicle stands for and communicates. I have seen these paper stickers a lot in Noida /Ghaziabad regions
A/F means ‘Applied For’. i.e. The permanent registration has been applied but not yet received.

2. Does it cost Dealer to get a TEMP number for new vehicles they sell? If Yes I can understand why my SA says "TEMP number are issues for interstate registrations only and not for same state" i.e. if I am buying from Ghaziabad and registering it in Delhi, then only this would be required.
Your dealer is correct.

3. He says I can drive around for a month with A/F till the permanent numbers are available. What are my options to have a number before I hit the roads.
How long is he asking to wait for the permanent registration number?

Drive Safe,
350Z

How long is he asking to wait for the permanent registration number?

Drive Safe,
350Z
He originally asked for one week to a fortnight time but his assurance of no issues with A/F for a month makes me little suspicious.

Do you suggest anyway (process /Step) by which I can make sure the I have registration number with me at the time of delivery, I am fine waiting for a couple of day. However I don't want to make full payment before I have the delivery.

Hi guys,

My wife recently purchased a nano genx amt from Concord Motors, Patparganj.

We took delivery on August 31,2015 with a Tem Regn No., however the dealer didn't given me the Temp Regn Cert. which I know is valid for a month. The car has been temporarily registered in Delhi because the car will be permanently registered in Noida.

Today I have received a copy of the temp regn certificate by e-mail. Can I safely drive the car with a COPY of the temp certificate?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Yes it is stamped by Motor Licensing and Registering Authority, Mall Road and I can see a scribbled sign.
As it clearly states the validity buddy and has been duly authenticated so there should not be any issues in driving with it. Though at all times, valid Driving License has to be carried by driver.

Regards

Akash

As it clearly states the validity buddy and has been duly authenticated so there should not be any issues in driving with it. Though at all times, valid Driving License has to be carried by driver.

Regards

Akash
Thanks Akash. Do we have to display the Temp Regn No. in a different colour? "(9)An authority issuing a temporary certificate of registration shall at the same time assign to the vehicle distinguishing mark, to be displayed on in the manner prescribed for distinguishing marks assigned under section 43 of the Act, the letters and figures composing the marks being in red on yellow ground." Do the cops usually enforce this provision?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Do we have to display the Temp Regn No. in a different colour? ......in red on yellow ground[/B][/U]." Do the cops usually enforce this provision?
Buddy it can be either red/yellow or as you may have often seen plate with digits like "UCF" "HR 99 TEMP". From police's end no problem should be there till you have that authentic temp. registration certificate.

By Yellow/Red you mean as shown in pic below right??

temporary_number_plate.jpg

Regards

Akash

Buddy it can be either red/yellow or as you may have often seen plate with digits like "UCF" "HR 99 TEMP". From police's end no problem should be there till you have that authentic temp. registration certificate.

By Yellow/Red you mean as shown in pic below right??

View attachment 178673

Regards

Akash
Yes I am referring to that picture and the way in which the number is written! I guess I will take a chance in black and white and produce the copy of the temp. regn. cert if stopped.

BR

Top Bottom