What is a Potentiometer?

Thread Starter #1
What is a potentiometer in a car and its use.

Check Engine appears everytime when accelerator is released and it goes off when i press the accelerator. For this TASS mechanic said replacement of potentiometer will work and Its apporximate cost is 4k. Please Help.

Re: Potentiometer

Potentiometer[frustration],I have been escaping these bridges like wheat stone bridge,meter bridge etc etc..
And Now potentiometer in cars too..oh God help me..

As much I know,I have never heard of anything called Potentiometer in cars,rest maybe its there and I am short of knowledge..[confused]

The controller takes power from the batteries and delivers it to the motor. The accelerator pedal hooks to a pair of potentiometers (variable resistors), and these potentiometers provide the signal that tells the controller how much power it is supposed to deliver. The controller can deliver zero power (when the car is stopped), full power (when the driver floors the accelerator pedal), or any power level in between.

Source : HowStuffWorks "Inside an Electric Car"

I hope you car is indica or indigo.

they have potentiometer problem and check engine light come on.

Changing them will not only stop the check engine light , but also give /feed proper fuel to engine.

Potentiometer is present in fuel pump , in indica /indigo the blue colour thing you find in the pump.

and the work of potentiometer is explained by "tasuray"

INFO

In crdi units , the accelerator is the potentiometer. That is there is no accl cable in modern cars [thumbsup]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Thanks dear members.
A very clear explanation from TASURAY, and also very usefull info and good prediction from ILANGO.
My car is Indigo CS LS-2008 model.
But is it that much costlier.

Are these potentiometers the same as the ones used in homes to control ceiling fan speed? also they are used in old tape recorders for volume control.

Potentiometer =Variable resistor.

nothing but resistance of a conductor can be varied manually,say an accelerated pedal,light dimmer,fan dimmer,mid intensity dimmer,

------/\/\/\/----
________|

Top Bottom