What Documents To Carry While Driving?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to driving and have a new car. I'm not sure what docs I should be carrying while driving.
1. Is RC important? I have temp RC, but I carry a photocopy
2. I have a Driving licence, but I heard you can get a duplicate copy (which looks like orignal) and you should always carry that.

Re: Documents to carry while driving

Hi,

I'm new to driving and have a new car. I'm not sure what docs I should be carrying while driving.
1. Is RC important? I have temp RC, but I carry a photocopy
2. I have a Driving licence, but I heard you can get a duplicate copy (which looks like orignal) and you should always carry that.
As far as I know one has to carry following documents in original while driving:-
1. Driving License
2. Registration Certificate
3. Insurance Document
4. No Pollution Certificate

As far as I know one has to carry following documents in original while driving:-
1. Driving License
3. Insurance Document
Within the city photocopy of the docs mentioned is sufficient if car is also registered in the same city. Out of city all originals are needed.

An attestation expires with six months,
A gusseted officer attested photocopies copies(with the designation seal and the office seal and the date the copy is attested) of the RC,insurance and Driving licence is enough to travel any where in india.
But as mentioned on the above posts the checking officers may demand originals while travelling outer state.
which in a way or another offending/insulting the official who officially attested the copies which he had personally checked with the originals while attesting it.

1. Driving License
3. Insurance Document
You forgot the most important document. One with Gandhiji's photo and the number 100.

Jokes apart, it is advisable to carry originals. My friend had an experience, he used to carry photocopies only. Once police caught him and he had to park the car there, go home get the originals and show them. It may be an exception, but you can't argue with them.

You forgot the most important document. One with Gandhiji's photo and the number 100.

Jokes apart, it is advisable to carry originals. My friend had an experience, he used to carry photocopies only. Once police caught him and he had to park the car there, go home get the originals and show them. It may be an exception, but you can't argue with them.
Not sure how true it is but, last week I was at the RTO I asked them do I need to carry orginals, they said if the RC and DL are card type then no need as they can check it on the computer, they said the old type handwritten are easy to forge.

Not sure how true it is but, last week I was at the RTO I asked them do I need to carry orginals, they said if the RC and DL are card type then no need as they can check it on the computer, they said the old type handwritten are easy to forge.
John, what you say is right. That's the rule. But convincing the cops during a road block is not easy, especially in the night or in the rains.

You must produce following valid document in original if demanded by police officer in uniform or an officer from motor vehicle dept.
I. Driving licence
II. Registration certificate
III. Taxation certificate
IV. Insurance certificate
V. PUC certificate
VI. Road permit and fitness certificate
From Mahatrans

2, 3 and 6 comes in Registration Certificate . You need not carry separate tax paid receipt which you got initially. That is only till you get your RC book/card.
PUC - Pollution Under Control should be in original for sure (I have heard that even if you carry other documents copy, you need to keep Emission Test Certificate original).

They(Police) may start asking original as they can verify the details with the chip attached in the card.

Better to carry all original while driving. When you park at home/outside, carry along with you. Do not leave it in vehicle.

Last edited:
Traffic Rules Clarifications

Hi All,

Delhi Traffic Police website indicates:

"Documents one should always carry while driving on the road

I. Driving Licence.
II. Certificate of Registration. (Photocopy)
III. Certificate of Taxation. (Photocopy)
IV. Certificate of Insurance. (Photocopy)
V. Permit and Fitness Certificate (in case of Commercial Vehilce).
VI. Pollution Under Control Certificate.

In case of non-availability of any/all such documents or attested copies thereof, the same can be sent by registered post within 15 days from the date of demand."

Does that mean the traffic police cannot challan even if we do not have the required documents?

Hello Guys,
Just waking up a old thread..
Is it ok if i carry Photo copy of the following documents:
1) RC BOOK
2) Insurance
3) PUC
4) Driving Licence (Original)

People from Mumbai please help,i am new to driving & have my first car.
Not been caught by Traffic Police yet, but carrying Originals everywhere is also Risk.
Will the copies have to be Attested or just a Photo Copy will do?

Hello Guys,
Is it ok if i carry Photo copy of the following documents:
1) RC BOOK
2) Insurance
3) PUC
4) Driving Licence (Original)
Now license and RC book are in card format, size similar to a credit card. You can carry this in your wallet together with credit cards etc.

PUC - you can keep the original. Even if it is lost, you can do another 'test' for Rs 60-80
and get a new one.

Insurance - you can keep a copy or the original. Don't worry if lost. Today all you need is the insurance policy/coverage number. The insurance company would be happy to send you a soft copy, you can take printouts.

Top Bottom