What do I feel after 8000 kms? Grande Punto 1.3 - Emotion

Thread Starter #1
Actually it is more than 8500 km now. Well, after driving Indica V2 LSi for more than 5 years, it was time for me to look out for a new car for myself. I started looking out for options and with keeping Punto as my first priority. After lot of research and reviews I could not get off Punto on my mind and gifted myself the Red Italian head turner on August 6th 2009 and till date as on 29th Oct 09, I have completed around 8500+ KMs on it.

Here I’m sharing my experience so far on it with all of you.

Driving Comfort: ****
On completing 3700 Km (Navi Mumbai > A’bad > Jaipur > Agra > Delhi > Jaipur > A’bad and back to Navi Mumbai) in a stretch on Punto, I think I can justify my comments towards driving comfort on Punto.

I’m 5’11” and after driving Indica for almost 6 years, I could for sure right away feel the driving comfort on Punto. I was more confident and very relax throughout my journey. I was really impressed and happy to adjust my sitting posture as per my comfort in between my journey, which is really required when you drive a vehicle for longer duration. Although neck support is not that effective, but I guess that’s the case with all cars. I used pillow as per my comfort.

On Road Performance: ****
After completing 8500 KM and after driven it on Expressway, Highways, city roads and even on deep interiors of Rajasthan where there is no roads at all, the ride quality and handling on higher speed and on sluggish bumpy roads is balanced and brilliant.

I have taken it till 145 Km/Hr and I was not losing my confidence until my wife asked me slow down. I don’t deny about it’s the initial lag, but that’s fine with me. I was here to drive it on Indian roads, not in drag race. Cross 2500 RPM and you’ll feel your back pushing towards seat, there you’ll feel the actual power of engine.

The engine can be heard in the cabin on higher speed, but only when your music system is off. Well, I take it this way, when I speed up and hear the engine sound it feels to me like my car is saying …yes I can do it, I can run well and faster. LoL

Breaking:****
ABS is a boon to such car, which tempts you not to take off your feet from accelerator especially on Express/Highways like NH8. Fortunately I got to experience it only once when a street dog came on road from nowhere and I had to hit the brakes, the car didn’t lose its grip on road and came to halt very softly.

Fuel Consumption: ****
3550KMs / 175 Ltrs = 20.2 KMPL (Approx). I guess quite an impressive figure, with an average speed of 110-120 km/hr. I guess, I need not to write on it.

Service Experience: ****
No major issues in the service department so far.

Interiors: ***
Queen size leg room for rear but King size in front. But can be managed if front seats are positioned wisely (not in super comfort position for front sitters). Dashboard is pretty clean and straight, you need to move much your hand all around to have access to control systems. I really miss the ARMREST in Punto.

Air Conditioning:****
AC is really quick and effective, tested in my recent trip to Rajasthan when I drove usually in day and had to park in open sky under sun while my lunch intervals at Dhabhas for 1-2 hrs.

Boot Space:***
Boot space is quite sufficient; I carried one computer monitor (CRT), CPU, two bags and many other small packets in it. (Computer was for my parents at Rajasthan).

Visibility from back view mirror is ok; I wish it should have more. But once you get used to it, it won’t bother you.

I like:
• Looks and Style.
• Extremely comfortable for long drives and so as for city drive as well.
• The steering is awesome.
• Mileage. Gives me around 17-18 in city (Navi Mumbai), and 20-21-odd on highways on around 2000-2500 rpm.

I Wish:
• Little tuned up engine to avoid that initial lag, but I can live with it.
• Armrest
• Music control on steering in Emotion variant.
• A little higher ground clearance.
• And a better music system and speakers. (Currently it comes with Blaupunkt FIAT 199CD SBO5 NEW STYLE CD RADIO)

I’ll totally recommend to those who wants refreshingly new and a car with good build quality, better road handling and for pure driving pleasure.

Friends, this is my first review on car so help me to point out the important things I have missed out.

350Z

Core Team
Hey Grandeur!
First of all a very hearty welcome to you in this Automotive Nirvana - The Automotive India. You are another "Punter" of TAI, We've few members who owns a Punto and few are planning to buy one. You will surely find your company here. Very well written Ownership report, Couple of images will make it more intresting.
Please let us know if you need any help regarding community by using Contact Form, It will be our pleasure to assist you. [:)]
Enjoy your stay!

Drive Safe!
350Z

Hey grandeur welcome to TAI!!! nice report of your vehicle!!! if possible also post some pictures of your ride!!!

350Z

Core Team
Nice car and Nice Photography!
You can add your travel thread in The Travel Experiences Section.
BTW, Our Member RSM owns a red punto as well. [:)]

Drive Safe!
350Z

Thread Starter #7
Thanks Guys :)! I'm just getting myself involve to this forum and I'm glad to be a part of it. Looking forward to know more, about you all.

Last edited:
Hey Grandeur!
Warm welcome to TAI, Why don't you introduce yourself in Introductions Section?
And great report and pics of the read beauty man, Nice to see so many punto owners here. [:D]

350Z

Core Team
Thanks Guys :)! I'm just getting my involve to this forum and I'm glad to be a part of it. Looking forward to know more, about you all.
Glad to know that. [:)]
Try to participate in discussions around and Yes, As Umang said, We would like to read your introduction.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Nice review.Plain and simple.

But the pics are just awesome,specially the second one.

Cloudy weather,greenery around & a bright red Punto [:D]

good precise report!
can be a great help for prospective buyers.

By the way, has the engine noise reduced after the 1st service? also has the engine become more rev free?

Top Bottom