What’s Wrong with Tata Motors? An Open Letter To the MD

Agree to all of your views Friends

But the competition out there will not let TML have a peaceful sleep even in commercial vehicles

M&M especially has become so aggressive in the last few years that we shud not be surprised to see them giving a good chase to TML even in commercial space

Cant think though how come the makers of TATA ESTATE & SIERRA is lagging behing in the utility vehicle space which they created originally

Come on TATA , you can still do it.Take some BOLD steps [:)]
Tata in CV is untouchable territory I suppose. MM 's Navistar business was total Dud. other than extra large or long convoys where Volvo and other powerfull trucks are the only available options.

Niggles in CV section is not at all a concern for operators as long as the service and spare parts are on Lighter side and Tata is more economical than AL.(though major concern is breakdowns)

I dont see anymore of AL private buses in my hometown more over in Kerala they are getting rarer. Trucks are also shifting to Tata especially due to newer FE technology and better service networks which is associated to Tata only .

Tata in CV is untouchable territory I suppose. MM 's Navistar business was total Dud. other than extra large or long convoys where Volvo and other powerfull trucks are the only available options.

Niggles in CV section is not at all a concern for operators as long as the service and spare parts are on Lighter side and Tata is more economical than AL.(though major concern is breakdowns)

I dont see anymore of AL private buses in my hometown more over in Kerala they are getting rarer. Trucks are also shifting to Tata especially due to newer FE technology and better service networks which is associated to Tata only .
With the ultra series and newer versions of Prima, their cv line up is quite strong.
But when you look at the monthly sales their M&HCV sales are declining.
[I don't know whether it is due to market slow down?][confused]

Mr. karl, please let me know, wheather you are TML chief, or TATA car dept. chief . Sorry for the lack of information.
But in your bussiness (for that matter, any bussiness) the bottomline is profit.
And if cumulatively (pc, cv)TML is in profit, who will bother about sales figures of passeger cars?

In that case, this letter will be a futile exercise.

Please give us the name and address of a proper person.

350Z

Core Team
Mr. karl, please let me know, wheather you are TML chief, or TATA car dept. chief . Sorry for the lack of information.
Karl is Managing Director of Tata Motors. He is heading the operations in India as well as international markets (South Korea, Thailand, Spain, Indonesia, South Africa).

Drive Safe,
350Z

But in your bussiness (for that matter, any bussiness) the bottomline is profit.
And if cumulatively (pc, cv)TML is in profit, who will bother about sales figures of passeger cars?

In that case, this letter will be a futile exercise.

Please give us the name and address of a proper person.
Sales figures does matter man. Profit comes from high margin products like UVs from passenger and M&HCV from commercial vehicle business.
You should also notice that TML standalone profit is dipping quarter after quarter. When we read that TML profit rises, it is due to JLR. Profit's 80% now comes from JLR. Frankly saying TATA motors has actually no use of that profit since they are investing the returns hugely on JLR itself. Hence TML now certainly has to refresh their portfolio.

Karl Slym is the MD of Tata motors.
Tata Motors : Media : Press Releases
More specifically Ranjith Yadav is the President of passenger cars business.
Above is the press release.

Most apt person will be none other than RATAN NAVAL TATA

Last edited:
Since when Mr Ranjith Yadao is looking after passeger cars? What's his profile? any link ?

@Jagrover, RATAN TATA has retired recently from TML.

Some I have a inner feeling that, these new bosses are unable to handle it properly, which was much evident with their Storm strategy and there is nothing exciting from Mr.Karl so far in his interviews as all are with some hypothetical stuff !! I am worried that with these new people in place right from Mr.cyrus Mistry, TATA will be down for some time like change of Senior players with new set of players in a cricket team, that vacuum will be there.

Some I have a inner feeling that, these new bosses are unable to handle it properly, which was much evident with their Storm strategy and there is nothing exciting from Mr.Karl so far in his interviews as all are with some hypothetical stuff !! I am worried that with these new people in place right from Mr.cyrus Mistry, TATA will be down for some time like change of Senior players with new set of players in a cricket team, that vacuum will be there.
its too early to commnet . iam not saying what you are saying is wrong iam just saying give some time and see .

its too early to commnet . iam not saying what you are saying is wrong iam just saying give some time and see .
I agree with you Raja, Being a sales marketing professional for 15 years or so and complete business development head since five years, I dared to write that and there is something called the aggressive marketing strategy which is followed by M&M and others these days and I do not know why TATA is sleeping like this.

Whatever is, but there is nothing early and nothing late, the world is running too fast and if you want to win then catch it up !![:)]

RATAN TATA himself told in an interview with Autocar India that he had special interest in TML just more than as a chairman in comparison with other companies under TATA group.
He also mentioned that JRD TATA was interested in steel & hospitality.It was Sumant Moolgaonkar who looked after the then TELCO and brought it as the largest cv company of India.[Ever green Tata SUMO is named after his name SUmant MOolgaonkar.
He said that "if we had aircraft company I may not have devoted so much time to Tata motors and would have been test-flying planes".
He gave us hints that Cyrus Mistry will not be as active as him with TML. That's why persons like Karl Slym is inducted before his retirement.

i am being told by my friend that Mr. DB is in debug mode of tata motors actively trying to chink out all niggles coming up in the future and and helping them develop new products later.

Thread Starter #45
In fact Karl Slym (who himself is an able leader with tremendous experience in automobile industry) need not look further than this quote from his mentor.

"If you introduce a new vehicle, for example, and the management cannot adequately determine what the market wants, the company is in trouble. Theoretically, the top managers of a company should take up the role of that ideal customer. They should be driving their competitors' vehicles, they should be driving the best-of-breed vehicles, and they should be making cost comparisons. "While a top manager should be the ideal customer, he should also be the greatest critic of his company's products. If the CEO compromises, or is only looking at the margins, then even if he is successful, the company's success will be short lived."
- Ratan Tata

Don't how fast he (Karl Slym) can control and change the attitude of many of those top-middle level managers at Tata Motors.

Top Bottom