What’s Wrong with Tata Motors? An Open Letter To the MD

Both launches Storme and D90 have fared well for TML with the new management at the helm.They are on the right track.Just mark my words they will be out of trouble much sooner than what many people may expect!

Both launches Storme and D90 have fared well for TML with the new management at the helm.They are on the right track.Just mark my words they will be out of trouble much sooner than what many people may expect!
+100, I can see the same thing as you told and even there is a considerable change in TASS approach these days, So I expect TATA is moving quickly on a right path under the new management and very soon will become a bench mark for others I wish[:)]

Just sharing an experience-

One of my friends agreed to give feedback survey for his tata indigo in auto expo 2012. But after initial questioning, they refused to take feedback as they said he was too young. His age was 22.

Tatas didn't realise the difference between customer(his dad) and the actual consumer(my frnd). BTW, they would've been surprised to hear his feedback as he loves the car and his father not so much.
That actually sums up attitude of tata.
Majority of my friends who own swift are the reasons why their family owns a swift, all are between 18-25.

After seeing the nano ads I feel maybe tata is still changing their policy and is on the right track.
I actually liked the vista90 petrol ad. Maybe they should do a similar ad for D90.

Last edited:
Launching vista D90 at the BIC was a nice idea. Normally they organise TD at their Pune facility track.
Importantly 3 models and a dealership was inaugurated under the new team.
They dropped the plan to launch Indica xl.
All these are good signs.
Why can't they start an online forum to recieve complaints about their a.s.s and track the dealers accordingly..

To spruce up the brand image, they should first focus on PR. From my personal experience, email to tata motors customer care were not even acknowledged- so on question of answering.

Guys, the strategy of selling as many cars in a short period of time on a cheaper price has gone against tata.
Indica and sumo at the time of their launch were soldout on bulk,Sumo stopped after qualis took over and indica continued its sales.
As the indica and sumo were a flop product(both engines flopped), the people who owned went against tata and branded tata as a flop maker.
Tata though put the blame on the service management, knows their faults and tried rectifying on change and change of engines,that too lost the belief of the people.
as they sold out the flopp's in a bulk and as they are still in market they, failed to convince people that the product they are producing now are good.
so as far as the flop products are out there in the market it is a herculean task for the new guy.
They have to wait and prove with at least one product to win the hearts of people who had enough from tata cars.
As discussed earlier the Storm launch doesn't create any boom as it was expected because all are fed up with these facelifts, they are waiting for a fair good product from tata from which tata itself can be proud of.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

can you please share some contact information of mr. karl Slym or mr. Cyrus. I have just bought Safari Storme and would like to send some suggestions to them.

I owned Tata Indica Xeta. I found the car was good for its value but the after sales service is more than "pathetic". [frustration] I have sold off the car in 4 years time not because i wanted to go for a new car but because i was bugged up with the poor service. Only 1 service center in central Mumbai and hence always crowded with nano's,indica's..

Last year during the servicing they had damaged the front right side bumper with scratches and initially refuse to accept the liability. Only after a i had to raise the voice and prove, they accepted same and gave me in writing and assured to get same rectified. Believe me ....i had to go there more than 4 times and still same was not done. recently I wanted to change the Plastic Panel besides the a/c which had cracked. I had to visit the service center 3 times to get same replaced.

I sincerely think Tata's should get the after sales services lined up well to the standards.

I owned Tata Indica Xeta. I found the car was good for its value but the after sales service is more than "pathetic". [frustration] I have sold off the car in 4 years time not because i wanted to go for a new car but because i was bugged up with the poor service. Only 1 service center in central Mumbai and hence always crowded with nano's,indica's..

Last year during the servicing they had damaged the front right side bumper with scratches and initially refuse to accept the liability. Only after a i had to raise the voice and prove, they accepted same and gave me in writing and assured to get same rectified. Believe me ....i had to go there more than 4 times and still same was not done. recently I wanted to change the Plastic Panel besides the a/c which had cracked. I had to visit the service center 3 times to get same replaced.

I sincerely think Tata's should get the after sales services lined up well to the standards.
Hi Nadkarni, Welcome to TAI.

If not done already, please can you update your experience in the thread mentioned below.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...motor-s-cars-ultimate-reliability-survey.html

What TATA can do to come up the Ranks in Indian Auto Sector.

Hi everyone,
I am starting a new thread on what can Tata do to make a impact on the Indian car industry.

Now you would question me why TATA? Its because, I am ardent TATA fan, and am not liking the way things are turning out for them. Also, I guess TATA employees would be view these forums closely, hence in an attempt (however miniscule) to help them get their due share in the Indian Auto market can you suggest what needs to be done?

TATA from recent reports mentioned that they are planning slew of launches to grab the No.2 spot in India. Will no. of launches be the way or are there some other areas that they have to look into?

Now what I feel, the main issue with TATA (in that order):
1. Perception (Taxi Image)[frustration]
2. After Sales Service[frustration]
3. Build quality

BUILD QUALITY

Now when it comes to build quality, TML have demonstrated that their products are improving both from specs and features wise(Storme, VistaD90, Manza and Aria)

ASS

However, the ASS is what is still that they need to work upon. I understand it is very difficult to have an overnight revamp of the SALES and SERVICE but,
they need to start implementing policies company wide on actually taking moderate to strict actions on erring Sales/Service centers.

PERCEPTION

With the perception, only an out of the box thinking will help them get rid of that image. The recent March2013, Manza offer is good move, but then there are the Rapids and Fabias of the world.
The best way for them is use the negatives to their advantage and work out a strategy.

May be like:
Customise your car (tie up with DCs of the world or may be the BigDaddyCustoms)
Customer buys the basic variant, chooses from the menu of the customisation, and may be pay a premium of around a Lac, and bingo, you have a car which is like no other car. What say??
It could vary from seats to instrument cluster to lights to wheels, to interior color combination as well.

With low sales this could be a perfect way to get people the car they want and get a following. You can't have this work for a car which sells 25K a month.

DESIGN

Other point I feel that TML should do is do away with the use of similar deisgns in all models, like that of the headlights design in almost all its car models, be it Vista, Manza and to some extent Aria.

The tail light of Indica, Vista, Aria again similar.

"Plain Jane" styling also seems to working against it. Eg: Vista, Manza, Aria. Safari sports a very agressive front and that seems to be working for them, similarly other cars like Fortuners, XUV, City IVTEC, the new Ford Eco sport all IMO seem to be agressively styled.

The Vista car shape (though not bad at all) is still 15 year old shape. Need to give people some thing new to look at.

The Facelift should be a drastic one and one should be able to clearly distinguish between old and new at the very first look and not search for the changes.

TML is trying to Foray in the higher segment. In this they should be providing high feature products with a "Rich Appeal". Mind you here the competition is with the likes of Hondas and Toyotas. Plastics should improve and should have rich and slik feel. Now that, JLR is already been taken over, TML should use the expertise of JLR and improve their car designs. Obviously they should not jeopardize the JLR products. This has to be managed by TML.

This is what I feel, let me know your views as well.

Re: What TATA can do to come up the Ranks in Indian Auto Sector.

I suggest TATA to first fire all their sales marketing guys across the country including the persons at dealers.

Next recruit a fresh team for marketing, young and dynamic people.

Fire all the design team and recruit new with innovative ideas

If car as a manufacturing niggle, fire the boss first !! and warn every body if a niggle then there will be cut in their salaries

Fire all the service personal at dealers and recruit fresh well trained talent [clap]

How is this buddy[;)] looks simple

Re: What TATA can do to come up the Ranks in Indian Auto Sector.

I suggest TATA to first fire all their sales marketing guys across the country including the persons at dealers.

Next recruit a fresh team for marketing, young and dynamic people.

Fire all the design team and recruit new with innovative ideas

If car as a manufacturing niggle, fire the boss first !! and warn every body if a niggle then there will be cut in their salaries

Fire all the service personal at dealers and recruit fresh well trained talent [clap]

How is this buddy[;)] looks simple

Well Hire and fire could be difficult on a national stage. However, they can identify the regions where maximum sale is being done, take that regions customer reviews on TASS, revamp the sales team there and progress to other regions.

This would increase the customer interaction and would also give feeling to the existing customers that TATA are really talking to them, taking their inputs and thus could increase word of mouth sales for TATA products.

So here's a sum up of Karl Sym's mantra for TATA motors:

1. Quality top proirity:
Just as he joined TML, he was in the knowledge about the quality of assembly of parts at TML factory. He visited the assembly lines and spoke to the floor staff about the parts being put together. He noticed the negligence in QC department and the floor staff who put things together.

2. Service centers:
Lots of complaints were received via feed back about the laidback attitute of most service centers. Though there is a stringent check on the service centers by calls from TML call center directly to the customer about the service rendered at the service centers there is some discoordination between the CC and A.S.Ses. Most centers have pulled their act together and have been active and promt to get a better rating, some have never bothered. Sym plans to hive off such centers in the long run.

3. Quality parts
Most of the parts used in TATA vehicles were substandard and were devoid of any checks and were passed on directly to the assembly floor. Parts like starter motors, fan belt-pulley system, bearings and other parts frequently failed. He plans to now have stringent checks before they make onto the floor for final assembly.

5. Sales points:
Sales points have been the most boring and controversial points in TML sales. Staff were always lethargic and showed no interest in selling vehicles as they were really selling well when TML was No 2 in the market. Now they are at no 5 and has compelled to act better to move stocks out of the showrooms. The showroom are now better equipped and plans to upgrade them to cafes are onway, with the first one already opened in Pune. More are to come up soon. Now others are catching up with Nissan and Renault too in the same league in sales satisfaction.

6. Model splashes:
TATA R&D has been the worst interms of getting the concepts to reality within a time frame. TATA's teams have not been able to bring into reality new models. An example Safari Storme which was designated Safari 18/ Merlin to be available with in 18 months but took a whole of 3+ years to a launch, though they already have existing platform and chassis. Now Karl Sym plans to change it all. He plans to get the vehicle to showrooms with in 18-24 months of freezing the model, real and quick, before the design already gets out dated. Also more number of new launches/refreshes to keep the model line young.

4. Products updates:
He plans to to revive TML in 3 stages
a. Short term
b. Medium term
c. Long term

Short term:
Refreshes and updates of current products and revising of prices of models and make them VFM products. Induction of new features to make them more interesting. Also plans to restucture prices of vehicles were planned and have been executed.

Medium term:
Introduce new models already showcased and retire some and realign some and bring in new models as per the market demand.

Long term:
He plans to overhaul the entire line of vehicles in the current showrooms with all new models and retirement of current models. So in the next three years TATA Showrooms will have all new models to display compared to the current line.

Last edited:
Long term:
He plans to overhaul the entire line of vehicles in the current showrooms with all new models and retirement of current models. So in the next three years TATA Showrooms will have all new models to display compared to the current line.
This is what I am waiting for , from TATA. [clap]

I think now is the perfect time to buy TML shares. [clap]

Top Bottom