What’s Wrong with Tata Motors? An Open Letter To the MD

Re: Tata Motors Aspires For Top 3 Position in Indian Market

Tata Motors are rather over ambitious in their aspirations, if I should say. They would be lucky to retain 5th position in the next couple of years ( for passenger car segment). Instead of implying a causal attribution to external factors , they need to look at their core operations and change it from there- perhaps that's what they are planning to do.

Tata's need to make what people want to buy but they have so far given us what they want to sell -
100% agree on your words.They are just lucky to stay at 5th place.They can stay in this position, if they relaunch their products(except zest & Bolt) or launch new products. they are dead slow in understand their failures and update their models. Yes,they have to make what custmers want, not what they want to sell.

Nano- Still this car doesnt have a good dashboard and rear opening.
Indica/Indigo- they are not intersted to sell
Vista/Indigo CS- They have no idea what they gona do with this model after bolt & Zest
Manza-They have no idea what they gona do with this model after bolt.They are not intersted to sell
Venture/Grande(move us)- they just killed capable products.
Safari storme- Where is the update version?
Arya - They accepted It is a failure and May offer more additional discounts. They try to push sales as taxi ( That is their last plan for all their models.)

Though the aspirations are too high for the current times, one must admit that TATA has taken the right foot forward probably little too late, neverthless better late than never.
The point is "we want to buy a car, the are not selling one".
T
I Agree.If Tata not interested, then how dealers? Most of their products are half baked ones, when comparing market requirement.

Last edited:

TATA MOTORS catapulted one position above displacing TOYOTA from its fifth position. in the Dec '14 sales figures.

Tata M - 12040
Toyota -11,740

One step up ladder towards Top 3.

Cars have made a sales figure of around 9900 that means it ZEST has done a sales of around 4500. But ZEST still is in the 3rd position as AMAZE has sold around 5200. So Xcent moves to the 4th spot.

NANO too seems to have played a magic figure as the non-PS models are unplugged and NANA TWIST XC makes a debut.

Last edited:

@KC thats the only area where TATA has to really work now. The Dealership is where your customers would land and if that experience is not good, no matter what you offer thats going to reflect on your product. Right now TATA has good product lineup . sales also has rose to some extent to keep this momentum going TATA needs to focus on 2 key things customer satisfaction at the point of sale and customer satisfaction at the time of service. If these two are concentrated may be they can be no-2

From my opinion, I know TML gets more bashing than praise due to the "expectation" from Indian public when it comes to "TATA" group.

I was trying to understand the last 10 years strategy what was employed by TML and one can understand that they have been doing well as an organization but could not fulfill the "expectation" from Indian customers (Well, don't we indians' expect too much with desi products?)

I'm trying to list some of the "understanding" (Might miss many points as i have no connection with TATA in any way expect for purchasing two cars from them)

- They have given Indian middle-class with joy of traveling in cars (Indica was a revolution in the taxi sector and hats off to that)
- They had in-roads with passenger vehicle but could not focus on the branding as "premium" provider. (In my opinion, that was a well thought strategy since that was nitche and "premium" segment was already filled with competition)
- TML listened to customers feedback and came up with refreshed/updated versions (Well, that's opinionated since consumer felt cheated with updates as new version rather than retrofitted with their existing product - In my opinion, they have to do business and can't run on charity just because they are Indian manufacturer)
- TML after 10 years is extending the service wing to cater "taxi" + "premium" customers.
Following is my understanding
* Sumo, Indigo, Indica & Vista - Taxi segment
* Zest & Bolt - Premium Segment (please read it as non-taxi customer)
- TML is improving their dealership and they are becoming pro-active to cater customer (For the last 10 years, TML has been doing a good job but for the dealership.)

On the contrary, I'm seeing the "premium" auto companies are looking at cost cutting and could not cater to the needs/demands of "indian" customers. So to say, TATA is definitely listing to the needs of customer and acting on it (As the saying goes, "you can not satisfy everyone")

My question to you folks - Why not "no # 1" when a company is manufacturing and improving their ASS through dealership?
Waiting to hear from you all!

Cheers

@KC thats the only area where TATA has to really work now. The Dealership is where your customers would land and if that experience is not good, no matter what you offer thats going to reflect on your product. Right now TATA has good product lineup . sales also has rose to some extent to keep this momentum going TATA needs to focus on 2 key things customer satisfaction at the point of sale and customer satisfaction at the time of service. If these two are concentrated may be they can be no-2
I agree with you to a large extent.

But in contrast if you have a wonderful product in hand then even if customer experience is bad people will buy it. For example, FORD ECOSPORT, RENAULT DUSTER, SKODA OCTAVIA/LAURA, many more to quote.

Especially, our experience with Renault. During the time in demand, The guy at the customer desk refused to entertain us as soon as we said DUSTER. The guys stood in front of us but just chit chatting with his colleagues and acted as if he did not hear us. But as it was a nice product, in turn we had to run after it.

@ Vista Addict I'm one of the biggest fans of TATA cars. having said that i would stick to my statement and most of the people here would agree that, TATA dealership at some-places are not customer oriented. revert time is not kept as promised. i mean they lack the vision Mr.TATA carries with him. also if you read through new shoppers feedback here, you will come to know what kind of responses they have got from the TATA Dealerships. so this definitely is an area of improvement for TATA. I agree with you when you say TATA can be No 1. No Doubt IMO it is No 1 , It is the only company catering to automotive requirement of India in various segments. it has vehicles in each and every segment except 2 wheelers.

I agree with you to a large extent.

But in contrast if you have a wonderful product in hand then even if customer experience is bad people will buy it. For example, FORD ECOSPORT, RENAULT DUSTER, SKODA OCTAVIA/LAURA, many more to quote.

Especially, our experience with Renault. During the time in demand, The guy at the customer desk refused to entertain us as soon as we said DUSTER. The guys stood in front of us but just chit chatting with his colleagues and acted as if he did not hear us. But as it was a nice product, in turn we had to run after it.
Point taken @ TC. However TATA gave Indians a car better than Duster a Decade Before Duster was launched the SAFARI. cheaper than Duster with Bigger Engine. But we Indians are over smart you see. we don't value our home production. Ecosport Cross segment ( the segment which is confused whether to call it a suv or to be called a pimped hatch ) I think TATA is Launching NEXON though this is a segment that i hate. Skoda is altogether a different story My dear. Do you know how skoda has , is struggling to get the sales numbers.

Head honchos at TATA Motors seem to take the market seriously, really seriously!

More and more tech all set to trickle into TATA Cars. Heard of E-Clutch developed by Bosch is one such adoption ahead of other manufacturers for the Kite twins. Now from 2016 TATA cars will have Keyless entry, Start-stop ignition systems. All this will be supplied from a German component supplier called Marquardt from 2016.

Here is the news:
Motorbeam said:
Tata Cars To Get Keyless Entry From 2016

All Tata cars will be getting ‘Passive Entry Passive Start Systems’ from a German component supplier called Marquardt from 2016.

Tata Motors has received a very positive response to their recently launched models – Zest and Bolt. Both the vehicles are leaps and bounds better than its predecessors and Tata seems to have finally got the right formula for our country. As a result of this, sales have also improved and so has Tata’s market image from a taxi to more of a personal vehicle manufacturer. The Tata Zest diesel with the AMT box also happens to be the cheapest diesel automatic car in the country at the moment. Tata is considering to further bolster its offerings by providing more features as standard across its range and in a new front, all Tata vehicles will sport keyless entry systems from 2016.
Various new car models from Tata Motors will soon sport the new ‘Passive Entry Passive Start Systems’ from Marquardt, which is a mechatronics component supplier based out of Germany. This will be the first time that any Indian car manufacturer will be offering a complete keyless entry system for all their vehicles. Marquardt Group, CEO, Harald Marquardt said that the new entry systems will be found in Tata models from Q3 of 2016. The German company is also planning to set up an R&D centre in Pune and may even come up with a production facility in the future depending on the response they receive in the Indian subcontinent.
Marquardt is a family owned business which specializes in intelligent driver authorization systems and anti-theft security systems. For Tata Motors, they will be providing a key control unit, antenna, door sensor, electronic steering and a start-stop button. Initial supplies of these components will come from Marquardt’s Chinese facility and the new system will be found in all Tata car models from 2016 onwards. The German company manufactures components for automotive giants like Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Audi and Chrysler as well, so the quality of components that will be found on Tata vehicles is expected to be top notch.
Read more at http://www.motorbeam.com

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
View attachment 165934

View attachment 165935

edit: Dear admin. Uploaded pictures don't show. Please help.
Please re-try attaching pics. It is possible that while uploading the server might have been slow. When 100% upload is done then wait for a few seconds buddy till all the pics get attached on "Paper Clip" icon on message box. I hope this suggestion would help.

Regards

Akash

Finally saw something we were not supposed to see as per TML. A taxi Zest! As per the registration plate it is a Vijayawada registered car which has come to Hyderabad.
:mad:
That is a place where TATA never recovers.Selling cars in Taxi segment after promising they will not sell. [frustration].Dealership experience is another one.

Top Bottom