What’s the Connection of Seatbelts with ABS / Airbags?

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have heared some where that in case of an accident if a person has not fastened his seat belt, his airbag will not pop out. Is this true?

Second thing, I also have heared that ABS will not work untill and unless both front passengers have fastened their seat belt. Is this true?

[confused][confused]

Re: Connection of air bags and seat belts; seat belt and ABS

hi sumit,
i had an accident in march 2012 and at that time i was wearing seat belt and the air bags worked fine and i was saved.
one of my friend also had an accident nearly 6 mths back and at that time he and his brother both were heavily drunk and had not fastened their seat belts but still the air bags worked and both of them had minor injuries only.
so,though it is not written anywhere but probably i think the air bags work irrespective of seat belts.
about ABS no ideas.

Thread Starter #3

Sir, Thank you very much for the reply. Hope you were not hurt in the accident.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

i also think there's no relation between ABS and seat belts whatsoever. ABS should work every time irrespective of seat belts engaged or not.

Cars equipped with ABS works inspirte of one wearing seatbelts or not.
Only thing is the driver must press the brake pedal, for ABS to work and assess that it's intervention is needed, when brakes are pressed hard.

Generally airbag has no connection with the seat belt. Though airbags can hurt if you are not wearing seat belt, very often it is less than the damage caused by the impact of the accident. So that kind of a mechanism doesn't make much sense.

But, in some cars the passenger seat has sensors in it which measures the weight of the passenger. If the weight is below a certain point ie.if the occupant is not an adult, the airbag will not deploy because it can result in serious injuries to the young occupants.

ABS and seat belts are not interrelated.

Top Bottom