Weekend Trip to Kollur via Chikmagalur

Thread Starter #1
Hi, my first post to the elite members of this forum.

Planning a weekend trip (Sept 9-11, 2011) to Kollur via Chikmagalur. Return will be Kollur-Mangalore-Bangalore. How are the roads from:

1. Chikmagalur to Kollur and approx time
2. Mangalore- Bangalore (pls suggest best route)

Driving with our 15 month old son. I understand from various posts across Internet that there are bad patches. Travelling by my Jetta, the GC is low, so little skeptical.

Please help me out with the above 2 points.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Routes from Bangalore as follows:
Route 1:
Bangalore - Shimoga- Ayanur - Ripponpet - Hosanagara - Nagara - Kollur.
From BLR to Shimoga the roads are pretty decent single lane road. From Ayanur take left towards Ripponpet. Roads around Hosanagara and Nagara are not good. Due to monsoon rains you can expect bad roads.

Jetta should be able manage those stretches. Nagara to Kollur is a ghat section again single road. But, you will love the serene nature. Keep looking for these mini-buses during the Nagara - Kollur road. They are very awkward to deal with. Allow opp vehicle to pass by but dont get down the shoulders. Kollur ghat roads are very narrow.

Route 2:
Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shirdi - Mangalore - Udupi - Kundapur - Kollur
Again, shiradi road is in its worst situation due to heavy rain.

Route 3:
You may also think of going through Chikmaglur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Koppa - Thirthahalli - Nagara - Kollur. But, this is too long and expect roads after koppa to be bad.

Best route is Route 1. Eatouts are available near Kadur and Shimoga/sagara.
After Ayanur, you wont get any eatouts.

If you are going for Kollur, please also plan for Sigandur. Its around 70kms. Roads are decent. From Sigandur, you need to take a steamer which travels across Linganamakki reservoir in 10-15mins. Of course, with the car in it. They charge some nominal fees.
You will reach the other end and touch Sagara. From there its just NH 206 back to Bangalore. Phew!!

Now its the best time to travel in Western ghats. Happy journey.

Hope this helps.

Thread Starter #4
Many thanks White-rhino. That's really helpful.

I need to go via Chikmagalur as we are staying there one night. I know it's a longer route. Can I go to Shimoga from Chikmagalur and get on to the route suggested by you?

Thanks once again.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Thanks Umang, will post the pics.

In fact I got our Jetta last July, have not taken pics of her yet :)

@KRISCAR:
Yes, you can take Chikmagalur - Sakkrepatna - Kadur - and Touch NH 206 to Shimoga.
Some 8 months ago I drove back from Kollur - nagara-Thirthahalli - Sringeri - Balehonnur - Aldur - CkM. The bad roads were indeed from Nagara - Thirthahalli - Koppa. After that it was good roads. But, please check their with the locals about this route. Its one of the good scenic routes i drove.

Thread Starter #7
Many thanks guys for all the inputs. Sp thanks to White-rhino. Appreciate the inputs.

We did travel to Kollur last weekend via Chikmagalur. A short summary.

Day1, we reached Chikmagalur in good time. Left Bangalore at 10am. Travel time was exactly 4 hrs. Stayed there at the Chikmagalur Golf Club. Beautiful place. Good roads all thru from Bangalore, except the traffic at Yeshwantpur and 1km stretch of bad road near Chikmagalur.

Day2, left for Kollur at 6am. Reached Sringeri at 830. After breakfast, left for Kollur at 10am to reach by 1230pm. Took the Agumbe ghat. Roads from Chikmagalur to Sringeri and then to Kollur are not that great but motorable. While some patches were really good, some patches were bad.

The Goddess gave us good darshan. Left Kollur at 4pm and reached back Chikmagalur a little late in the night due to few stops for the baby.

Day3, left Chikmagalur at 2 pm to reach Hebbal, Bangalore by 6pm.

Once again, many thanks for all the help.

I hope you had a good drive all through. I am particularly interested in below route:
Kollur - nagara-Thirthahalli - Sringeri - Balehonnur - Aldur - CkM.
OR
Did you take a different route?

Please post some pictures as well.

Thread Starter #9
White-rhino, we returned to CKM via Udupi-Karkala-Kalasa-Mudigere-CKM. It's a longer route. There was an accident on the Agumbe ghat while we were driving to Kollur and we just managed to get thru. A truck had turned to one side at one of the hairpin and the crane was on the way. We were suggested to take the above route and was wrongly guided to state it was only 25kms more. By the time it was dark and we missed the turn to Sringeri. The entire stretch was horrible. The only thing that made us go is the stay at CKM. We travelled an additional 98kms due to wrong guidance given!
In the morning, we were focussed on reaching the temple before it closes and in the night, we were lost. Sorry, we don't have any pics. But, roads are just motorable and will take time.

White-rhino, we returned to CKM via Udupi-Karkala-Kalasa-Mudigere-CKM. It's a longer route. There was an accident on the Agumbe ghat while we were driving to Kollur and we just managed to get thru. A truck had turned to one side at one of the hairpin and the crane was on the way. We were suggested to take the above route and was wrongly guided to state it was only 25kms more. By the time it was dark and we missed the turn to Sringeri. The entire stretch was horrible. The only thing that made us go is the stay at CKM. We travelled an additional 98kms due to wrong guidance given!
In the morning, we were focussed on reaching the temple before it closes and in the night, we were lost. Sorry, we don't have any pics. But, roads are just motorable and will take time.
Hi Kriscar, did you visit Horanadu Annapoorneshwari?
Kudremukh roads would have been amazing to drive, and where did youich stay in Sringeri?
While our visit to Sringeri we stayed in temples room.
And hope you had collected the pass in the S.K.Border to pass through the forest.
Even i had been to a route which was showing left to Sringeri, but it was a horrible route with potholes & single lane.

Thread Starter #11
Mukeshus, we did not stay at Sringeri. We stayed at Chikmagalur and did to & fro to Kollur the same day.
Yes, we did collect the forest pass and then handed it over on exit at the Kudremukh road. From what you mentioned, it's then Providence that made us miss the turn to Sringeri [:)]
Cheers!

Thread Starter #12
Umang, as promised here are some pics of our Jetta. Its a 2.0 TDI Comfortline version which we got 14 months ago. All these were shot at the Chikmagalur Golf Club on our recent trip.

Let me know if this is the correct forum to post pictures

Attachments

Top Bottom