Tiruvannamalai
Pondy
Chidambaram
Velankanni
Rameswaram
Madurai
Palani
Bangalore

Can anyone tell me about the road conditions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bangalore to Thiruvannamalai roads are really good.

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri and turn left to burgur then to Tirupattur -Singarapettai-Chengam-Thiruvannamalai. Superb roads all through barely two are more rough patches (Singarapettai -Chengam) this was the case ,when i went in Jan17. Till Burgur 4lane and afterwards 2lane till Thiruvannamalai.

Try this link to get more info?
Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries - Page 26 - Team-BHP

You have info on other places of your travel too in this site.

Hello TAIgers
I am planning to do a weekend round trip of TN. Route is as follows,
Bangalore
Tiruvannamalai
Pondy
Chidambaram
Velankanni
Rameswaram
Madurai
Palani
Bangalore
Can anyone tell me about the road conditions?
Weekend to cover all this? Sure, you need more than that. Can you describe your itinerary day-wise? or not yet planned?

Bangalore to Thiruvannamalai roads are really good.

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri and turn left to burgur then to Tirupattur -Singarapettai-Chengam-Thiruvannamalai. Superb roads all through barely two are more rough patches (Singarapettai -Chengam) this was the case ,when i went in Jan17. Till Burgur 4lane and afterwards 2lane till Thiruvannamalai.

You have info on other places of your travel too in this site.
Here is the route that he is talking about.
https://goo.gl/maps/a29z26AW85M2

Please note that there are no decent options to break anywhere. Nature's call is in the nature. Don't carry too much speed before Chengam. You can be caught by surprise by the difference in the road levels wherever work is happening (almost 0.5 - 1 ft difference at some places). I can't say road work is happening, because whenever I have seen, partially completed road work is totally stalled.

Thiruvannamalai - Pondy
Thiruvannamalai - Gingee - Tindivanam bypass - Pondy. Tindivanam bypass is a bit tricky.

Don't take the Vettavalam route. Road work going on / not good at many places.

Tindivanam - Pondy is an excellent road. Rest of the route is 2 lane carriageway, mostly wide.

Pondy - Chidhambaram
Dreaded route is Pondy - Cuddalore - Chidhambaram via ECR. Lots of traffic, unruly most times. During late evenings, full of high beam blinding you. Traffic eases post Old town.

2 lane carriageway, all the way. Road condition is quite good.

Chidhambaram - Velankanni
Haven't been on this route. So no idea. If it is directly from Pondy, I would suggest to go Pondy - Vadalur - Sethiyathope - Kumbakonam - Nagapattinam - Velankanni. Since you are starting from Chidhambaram, you can do Chidhambaram - Sirkazhi - Nagapattinam - Velankanni via ECR itself. My BIL did this route last year, he said overall they were good roads, although, we didn't discuss full details of the route conditions.

Velankanni - Rameswaram
No idea. Why itinerary doesn't include Dhanushkodi?

Rameswaram - Madurai
I guess it must be Rameswaram - Paramakudi - Manamadurai - Madurai. No idea of road conditions.

Madurai - Palani - Bangalore
Pretty straightforward. Madurai - Dindugal - Oddanchatram - Palani. Since you are going to Palani, won't recommend eating at Thalapakkati @ Dindugal.

Palani - Oddanchatram - Vedasandur - Karur - Namakkal - Salem - Bangalore. Heard excellent roads.

I guess it must be Rameswaram - Paramakudi - Manamadurai - Madurai. No idea of road conditions.
Just checked with my colleague from Ilayangudi. He travelled in this road last weekend. It is a mix of 2-lane/4-lanes. 4-laning in progress. But you could keep between 90-100 kmph all through it seems, excepting at few places.

Top Bottom