Washing Your Engine Bay - A Step By Step Guide

I agree the amount of effort I put was somewhat unnecessary. But to put in so much effort and not go for the best, then it's a wasted exercise anyway.

2ndly MASS or FNG or any other mechanic won't care for so minute details. They don't go on cleaning every single crevice of the radiator and straightening every single fin. Hence it had to be a DIY. A simple drain or flush won't take so much dirt out which came after 4th and 5th flushes.

3rdly, the DIY proved to be a blessing in disguise as it revealed a rusting front crossmember. It wasnt visible from outside at all. Inside it had all flaked up.

More details here: The love of my life: A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed - Page 21 - Team-BHP
I am surprised to see the rust flakes and wondering how it could be possible, that too you take care of your car even for any minor fault !!!!

May be it is because of your so many thousands of kms run every year. Whereas in my case, though I do check the lower part of car whenever I take the car for any maintenance work, never seen any rusting, except at some points and I did cover up those minor spots as I explained it a couple of months back with photos.

Even when I opened up the Door panels after 19 1/2 yrs, never seen any rust spots except some dust accumulation which was cleaned and I posted the details and photos after getting the underbody anti - rust coating done. Same case with the coolant change, it was very clean. Also my usage is hardly 1000- 1500 kms in a year that too city drive and I clean the car by water spray, practically once in 3-4 days and keep everything open till the moisture vanishes.

When I got the antirust coating done and when the car was on the lift, I saw some rust spots at the bottom channels and got it sanded before applying the primer coat.
However I would again examine for any rust spots from inside of cross member when I take my car for any maintenance work next time to be on the safer side, because as you rightly said, it is not visible from outside.

Dear Shashi,
Could you please see the Engine bay picture of my car on page no 6 and tell me what is that item near Wiper Spray Motor, behind Air Intake Hood, Safron color at top and green color at bottom. What is it and where the tube connected to it goes?
Thanks n Regards

One doubt that popped up while writing this, does coolant change its color with aging, like green into dark green? Whats your take?
Ideally it shouldn't. Mine never turned dark or the level fell down in all these years.

I am surprised to see the rust flakes and wondering how it could be possible, that too you take care of your car even for any minor fault !!!!

May be it is because of your so many thousands of kms run every year. Whereas in my case, though I do check the lower part of car whenever I take the car for any maintenance work, never seen any rusting, except at some points and I did cover up those minor spots as I explained it a couple of months back with photos.
That front crossmember was absolutely fine from outside. Only after I peeled the sticker by mistake, and inserted my endoscope camera, the rust was visible. My mechanic was not ready to change it till the member was out of the body. If you wish to be sure, get the bumper removed and then inspect the member in detail after peeling off the stickers.

Top Bottom