Washing Your Engine Bay - A Step By Step Guide

One more point that comes to my mind. As I remember the holding capacity of coolant including distilled water is 3.6 litres( ? ) for M- 800. If so, we normally add distilled water in the Ratio of 2:1, means 1.2 litres of coolant and 2.4 litres of distilled water, right? so in the 2nd and 3rd flush we need 3.6 + 3.6 litres = 7.2 litres distilled water. Later we fill up 1.2 litres of Coolant and 2.4 litres of distilled water. So 10 litres of distilled water is sufficient for Radiator flushing work.

Hello sumitsinha, could you please tel me Zorrik 88 is a product of Pidilite company? It seems we have to buy 2 units at a time, as I tried to add to the cart by creating my account in the following Link.
http://www.electroncomponents.com/Zorrik-88-pidilite-cleaner-lubricants

Please also tell me which the online link that sells the car shampoo cum polish that you are using?
Thanks and Regards
Shenoy

Last edited:
DIY - Engine Compartment Cleaning of My Maruti 800 DX of 1998 Make on 13th June 2017 at 54,334 Kms
First of all to thank you dear Sumitsinha for his detailed Thread as regards Engine compartment cleaning guide step by step and the thought came to my mind about 20 days ago.
So got from Amazon :
LiquiMoly Engine Compartment Cleaner of 400 ml – Rs 481
3M – Car Shampoo of 500 ml - Rs 289
Safety Goggles - Rs 115

From some shop:
Water Spray Gun - Rs 245
Bottle cleaning Brush - Rs 15
Mask and Head cap - Rs 25
Hand Gloves 10 Nos - Rs 50

Grand Total - Rs 1220

Besides above things, Vacuum cleaner, a Bucket and 2-3 smooth towels and also some plastic sheets are required to cover up Battery, Alternator, Distributor, Ignition coil, Wiper Motor Air Intake to air filter, and all the Relays, so as to avoid any liquid and water getting in to them. Time required for complete work is about 2 hours.

1) When the Engine was cool in the morning, First sprayed LiquiMoly cleaner to the Bonnet Hood, Fire wall, and the entire Engine compartment and finished the 400 ml can to cover up all the areas. Of Course covered up my head with Plastic head cap, Mouth with a Mask, a old glasses to cover the eyes and used hand gloves. The smell of spray was pungent and good that I covered up my face and mouth etc.
2) After an hour, sprayed the water with spray Gun and meantime using the Bottle cleaner Brush and old Tooth Brush to clean the areas.
3) After this water rinse, used 3M Shampoo by diluting in the Bucket and spreading on all the parts and meantime using Brushes to clean up the areas.
4) Again used water spray to rinse everything. Then used dry cloth to wipe the water before taking out the covered plastic sheets.
5) After half an hour, used Vacuum cleaner to blow any left over water from all the areas.
6) After 15 minutes, started the car and kept it on idle for 5 minutes.

1st Photo shows what is needed, 2nd photo shows the Engine Bay before cleaning, 3rd photo shows the covered up areas by plastic sheets, 4th photo shows the Engine compartment after cleaning. 5th Photo shows Air filter Housing after clean up, 6th photo shows Engine side, 7th photo shows Clean Radiator, 8th photo shows Clean Fuel pump, 9th photo shows clean Gear Box.

Though the photos Before and After cleaning looks almost same, I have to say after cleaning, most of the Grease, grit has gone except at some bottom side of Engine/ Fuel pump etc which was not easily reachable. Also I could not make the Fire wall etc whiter as the spray doesn’t have the power to make it white. Of course I used some Thinner a month ago to clean some of the portion of Fire wall and immediately cleaned the same with Shampoo and wiped with clean water.

Seems I have to get another LiquiMoly Spray after Monsoon and keep it clean again.

Attachments

DIY - Engine Compartment Cleaning of My Maruti 800 DX of 1998 Make on 13th June 2017 at 54,334 Kms
First of all to thank you dear Sumitsinha for his detailed Thread as regards Engine compartment cleaning guide step by step and the thought came to my mind about 20 days ago.
So got from Amazon :
LiquiMoly Engine Compartment Cleaner of 400 ml – Rs 481
3M – Car Shampoo of 500 ml - Rs 289
Safety Goggles - Rs 115

From some shop:
Water Spray Gun - Rs 245
Bottle cleaning Brush - Rs 15
Mask and Head cap - Rs 25
Hand Gloves 10 Nos - Rs 50

Grand Total - Rs 1220

Besides above things, Vacuum cleaner, a Bucket and 2-3 smooth towels and also some plastic sheets are required to cover up Battery, Alternator, Distributor, Ignition coil, Wiper Motor Air Intake to air filter, and all the Relays, so as to avoid any liquid and water getting in to them. Time required for complete work is about 2 hours.

1) When the Engine was cool in the morning, First sprayed LiquiMoly cleaner to the Bonnet Hood, Fire wall, and the entire Engine compartment and finished the 400 ml can to cover up all the areas. Of Course covered up my head with Plastic head cap, Mouth with a Mask, a old glasses to cover the eyes and used hand gloves. The smell of spray was pungent and good that I covered up my face and mouth etc.
2) After an hour, sprayed the water with spray Gun and meantime using the Bottle cleaner Brush and old Tooth Brush to clean the areas.
3) After this water rinse, used 3M Shampoo by diluting in the Bucket and spreading on all the parts and meantime using Brushes to clean up the areas.
4) Again used water spray to rinse everything. Then used dry cloth to wipe the water before taking out the covered plastic sheets.
5) After half an hour, used Vacuum cleaner to blow any left over water from all the areas.
6) After 15 minutes, started the car and kept it on idle for 5 minutes.

1st Photo shows what is needed, 2nd photo shows the Engine Bay before cleaning, 3rd photo shows the covered up areas by plastic sheets, 4th photo shows the Engine compartment after cleaning. 5th Photo shows Air filter Housing after clean up, 6th photo shows Engine side, 7th photo shows Clean Radiator, 8th photo shows Clean Fuel pump, 9th photo shows clean Gear Box.

Though the photos Before and After cleaning looks almost same, I have to say after cleaning, most of the Grease, grit has gone except at some bottom side of Engine/ Fuel pump etc which was not easily reachable. Also I could not make the Fire wall etc whiter as the spray doesn’t have the power to make it white. Of course I used some Thinner a month ago to clean some of the portion of Fire wall and immediately cleaned the same with Shampoo and wiped with clean water.

Seems I have to get another LiquiMoly Spray after Monsoon and keep it clean again.
Good Job Sir, Just maintain it by regular cleaning.

Regards

Harsh

Thank you Harsh.
Not bad but it is the beginning. May be I have to slowly clean the Fire wall bit by bit daily to make it whiter. There was no chance to remove grit from the bottom of Engine and Bottom of Gear box, Fuel pump etc. May be one more flushing is required after Monsoon.
Regards

Hi Guys,
Finally, I tried my hands on cleaning my engine bay and shine it up a bit. Though cannot match with the earlier pics in this thread. But still not bad.
[:D]

Detached the Air filter assembly from the throttle body and cleaned thoroughly
Thoroughly scrubbed the engine head area with scrubber, sand paper, toothbrush and cleaned with wet cloth and dried
Removed small hoses and scrubbed them too
Cleaned big hoses and other areas, there itself, with plain water and dry cloth
Couldn't do much for the firewall[frustration] and other rusted and dirty areas, like the brake fluid distributor, clutch and gear assembly area
Finally applied some dashboard polish all over the cleaned areas to bring up some shine

Also, have done many of DIY stuffs, will share in appropriate thread in coming time.
Thanks

Attachments

Hi Guys,
Finally, I tried my hands on cleaning my engine bay and shine it up a bit. Though cannot match with the earlier pics in this thread. But still not bad.
[:D]

Detached the Air filter assembly from the throttle body and cleaned thoroughly
Thoroughly scrubbed the engine head area with scrubber, sand paper, toothbrush and cleaned with wet cloth and dried
Removed small hoses and scrubbed them too
Cleaned big hoses and other areas, there itself, with plain water and dry cloth
Couldn't do much for the firewall[frustration] and other rusted and dirty areas, like the brake fluid distributor, clutch and gear assembly area
Finally applied some dashboard polish all over the cleaned areas to bring up some shine

Also, have done many of DIY stuffs, will share in appropriate thread in coming time.
Thanks
Very nice Task.The Engine bay looks cleaner. If you buy a cane of Engine bay cleaner from Amazon as I bought, it would help you to remove most of the grit / sticky oil at the bottom of Engine bay.

Always remember to cover up some areas as I have done, for the protection. You can use Industrial thinner and use a thin screw driver by wrapping thin cloth helps you to clean the firewalls but remember to spray 3M Shampoo plus Vim liquid in those areas and later use water spray to get rid of everything, allow it to dry by blowing air from vacuum cleaner and don't start your engine for a couple of hours.

which model is your car and what is the odometer reading?
Take care

Sunday Special
Toyota Qualis Engine Bay Detailing[;)]
1.5L klms done on odo[:D]
Hi Adil, very clean and nice task by you. I am surprised to see so clean,even after 1.5 lakh Kms run , your engine bay looks like show room engine.

Did you paint Engine and other areas? If so, what kind of paint did you use?
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Sir
No... I have not painted any part
I just clean the engine bay first with liquid dishwashing detergent with Brush
then I spray CuttingOil mixed with water 20:80 ratio
and final step polish all the rubber parts with normal Dashboard Polish[thumbswink]

you can also check my other cars enginebay pics in this thread[:D]

My best effort so far: 18 year old Maruti 800 5 Speed

2017-11-11 19.14.52.jpg

Why I am happy??
It took me the least time to get such a clean bay
Its the cleanest I have personally seen
No dressing applied after cleaning. I am loving this original look without any extra dressing. :) No dressing also means no tension of dust accumulation.

Last edited:
Hello Sir
No... I have not painted any part
I just clean the engine bay first with liquid dishwashing detergent with Brush
then I spray CuttingOil mixed with water 20:80 ratio
and final step polish all the rubber parts with normal Dashboard Polish[thumbswink]

you can also check my other cars enginebay pics in this thread[:D]
Dear Adil, First of my Ignorance about cutting oil. What is this cutting oil and is it available in any paint shop or have to buy online? How you spray the cutting oil, with any spray bottle or have to use gun with compressor?

Dashboard polish for rubber parts? does it stand the heat in the Engine bay?

Please do give some details when you get some time.
Thanks
Regards

Here are some old photographs of my XUV 500's engine bay. It remains so even now. I don't wash or rinse or spray the engine bay. I use a damp cloth and a tooth brush to clean the engine bay. The detailing spreads over 4 sessions, each of 1 to 2 hours, exclusively devoted for engine bay, interiors, exteriors and alloy wheels. Once in 6 months, I do the waxing and polishing too, which takes another 4 sessions of 2 hours each.
IMG_6265.JPG
IMG_6267.JPG
IMG_6268.JPG
IMG_6276.JPG
IMG_6277.JPG

Here are some old photographs of my XUV 500's engine bay. It remains so even now. I don't wash or rinse or spray the engine bay. I use a damp cloth and a tooth brush to clean the engine bay. The detailing spreads over 4 sessions, each of 1 to 2 hours, exclusively devoted for engine bay, interiors, exteriors and alloy wheels. Once in 6 months, I do the waxing and polishing too, which takes another 4 sessions of 2 hours each.
View attachment 235407
View attachment 235408
View attachment 235409
View attachment 235410
View attachment 235411
Clean Bay. How old is your Mahindra XUV 500 now?
What you do after the monsoon when lot of sticky mud gets deposited ? you never wash at all? Waxing once in 6 months keeps the exterior clean.

Top Bottom