Want To Buy an SUV / MUV Under Rs.8 Lakhs

Thread Starter #1
hi petrol heads,

regards to all i am a 27 year old own a small outdoor advertising buisness.

i have pointed out one true SUV from all and that is mahindra bolero(my friends say i am mad or i m a villager.)

my motive from this suv is
1.durability
2.low on maintainance
3.low on riding cost
4.good resale
5.can accomodate labour if time and situation demands
6.can go to any terrian and come out of it unscrattched
7.which can take lot and lot of abuse and still people sitiing under it should be safe.
8which should satisfy my endrogen level by taking me to places like LEH and rade the himalaya (when ever i can arrange money and time)
9.in which please suggest me some visual, performance and comfort tweeking ups. as iwant some more horses under the hood and big big tyres like HUMMER.what all can be done to make it a monster. and i want it to display like a EXTENSION of my personality.

REgards
Amratansh rastogi

350Z

Core Team
9.in which please suggest me some visual, performance and comfort tweeking ups. as iwant some more horses under the hood and big big tyres like HUMMER.what all can be done to make it a monster. and i want it to display like a EXTENSION of my personality.
Mahindra Bolero is a suitable vehicle for rugged purpose. It offers all those basic comfort features that one would expect after shelling out that much buck. But after reading the above statement, another car that strikes me is Mahindra Thar. It should full fill the demand of a perfect off-road vehicle with better performance and a capable 4x4 system, though it belongs to a different segment called Jeep. Thar has a fair scope of modifications too. Do check it out.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3
Mahindra Bolero is a suitable vehicle for rugged purpose. It offers all those basic comfort features that one would expect after shelling out that much buck. But after reading the above statement, another car that strikes me is Mahindra Thar. It should full fill the demand of a perfect off-road vehicle with better performance and a capable 4x4 system, though it belongs to a different segment called Jeep. Thar as a fair scope of modifications too. Do check it out.
Dear Vibhor,

as thar is soft top and not that rugged looking like bolero.
my inclination is towards bolero and its engine,visual,comfort and big 20 inch alloy is a prime need. so i would wait for more suggestions on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolero seems to be apt for you. You can even try to stretch your budget by 50,000 and get the Scorpio EX. It will have a basic 75 bhp engine, which will still be more powerful than Bolero's 63 bhp.

BUT, you have to choose between Scorpio's bare basic variant or Bolero's top end. I pick the Bolero's top end. Put in some nice HELLAs and some nice alloys and you will have a looker.

By the way, you cant fit 20" alloys in the Bolero. The max you can go is 16". Or maybe 17" if you go very very low profile. Low profile tyres wont look good. Instead upsize the 215 section to 235 section.

Thread Starter #5
thanks for the help sir,

i got to know that new crde engines churn out 97 bhp.
by the name of storm.

and do you have any idea about renault duster ??????

The Bolero Storme is discontinued.

The Duster is good but I dont think it will meet your following requirements -

low on maintainance
good resale
can accomodate labour if time and situation demands
can go to any terrian and come out of it unscrattched
which can take lot and lot of abuse and still people sitiing under it should be safe.

350Z

Core Team
and do you have any idea about renault duster ??????
Renault Duster is a worthy contender in Sub-8 Lakh price range. But its long-term reliability and maintenance costs are unknown. Here are the initial impressions.

Drive Safe,
350Z

If Bolero is the choice, then don't even look at other vehicles just go buy it, for it is the best selling SUV in the country and has good stance along with ruggedness.

I suggest you to put 17" instead of 20" of rims, and as raj said 235 section tires is good enough to give the vehicle a powerful stance.
Install a front Bull bar and two hella lights, that's a macho.

And the features are also good in the ZLX Variant.

Bolero would be the right option for you buddy. And it will easily fulfill your requirements as well.

Other option might be the base variant of Scorpio as suggested by Raj and about Duster i can't say much since it is new to the market as of right now and won't meet quite a few of your requirements as:
low on maintainance
good resale
can accomodate labour if time and situation demands

Thread Starter #11
thanks you RAJ and Singh ji,

i have been to mahindra dealership today but they have discontinued storm variant that churns out 97 bhp
now they only have Mdicr engine which only shells out 65 bhp..

should i look for scorpio lx version???

thanks you RAJ and Singh ji,

i have been to mahindra dealership today but they have discontinued storm variant that churns out 97 bhp
now they only have Mdicr engine which only shells out 65 bhp..

should i look for scorpio lx version???
In that case you should definitely look for the Scorpio lx or the Ex version. They have more power then the current Bolero and mostly goes with your requirements. And if you want to put more beefier tires than Scorpio will look really good anyday comparing to the Bolero.

Hi marty,
I don't know much about these monsters but if you have a choice of bolero and scorpio then go for scorpio.Bolero is no doubt a good choice but still a layman like me will have a different impression of yours when you come out of a scorpio rather than bolero,and as you are running business,i think the first impression counts.

Hi marty,
I don't know much about these monsters but if you have a choice of bolero and scorpio then go for scorpio.Bolero is no doubt a good choice but still a layman like me will have a different impression of yours when you come out of a scorpio rather than bolero,and as you are running business,i think the first impression counts.

+10,
increase your budget by a little bit and get an LX version, preferably in black, do the modifications namely the tyres, alloys and you would have butch looking SUV.

Thread Starter #15
In that case you should definitely look for the Scorpio lx or the Ex version. They have more power then the current Bolero and mostly goes with your requirements. And if you want to put more beefier tires than Scorpio will look really good anyday comparing to the Bolero.
thanks you singh sir,

i will go today in the showroom and try LX for sure,

mean while if you can help in the size of beifier tyres and other MODS

performance and comfort as i herd scorpio is not a tall comfortable.

some engine mods, some suspension mods if you guys suggest and the biggest rim size i can put this SUV.

Regards always.

MARTY.

Hi marty,
thank you dr shaib,

i will definately try scorpio as you are right first impression is the last impression

+10,
increase your budget by a little bit and get an LX version, preferably in black, do the modifications namely the tyres, alloys and you would have butch looking SUV.

sir thanks for your refrences,

if yu can please help with some engine tweek ups,suspension tweeks and the largest rim size i can fit to scorpio. and the fattest and the biggest tyre i can fit into that (i have seen fatter and smaller tyres on scorpi ,it looks like a MONK so i want tallest and the fattest..)

Top Bottom