Want to Buy a Used Diesel Car, Help Needed

All i can say is TATA'S engine are really superb , you wont encounter any problem in engine's in any of the cars! We owned a TATA Sierra for 10 years and believe our engine din let us down anytime in the highways and we now owning a Safari for 3 years and the engine is in top condition. You will not be spending anything towards the maintenance of the engine except the oil change! My suggestion go for the Indica Vista!

Hi Biker!

I personally know couple of my friends who own TATA diesel Cars.

They are really good & has improved a lot way back from 2002.

So grab a Quadrajet Engine & its really worth paying for.

Thread Starter #33
Quadrajet is definitely out of My Budget ,not considered .

I want a feedback on TDi(Turbo diesel) Engine Which is based on the simple NA(Naturally Aspirated) Engine Found on Indica DLE/DLS.

I owned a Indica V2 Earlier and the FE of that engine is really great.This TDI is the same Engine with some reinforcements(like strengthened block,forged piston etc) as well as a Turbo Fitted on with Intercooler(Which makes the Turbo Run Cooler JFYI).

Last edited:
I would advise you to go for TDi Engine if Quadrajet is out of your budget.
TDi is Low on Maintenance if taken good care.

As for Turbo getting Busted, follow the below TIPS and your Turbo will last for a lifetime. Thats my promise.
1)Idle the engine for 30 seconds after starting a COLD Engine.
2)Idle the engine for 30 seconds before stopping the engine if you drove really hard (Rpms greater than 2000-2500).
3)Carry out Engine Oil Change at every 10,000kms (I hope TML Recommends at 10,000kms).

My Dad's friend used to own Indica Turbo. The Turbo got busted after some 70,000kms. But this was not without reason. The driver used to Run the car in improper way and the car was not maintained properly.

Our Indigo LS (May 2004) which has covered 1,79,000kms did not face any Turbo problem. The car still gives Amazing Pickup above 2000rpm (The Turbo comes into action after 2000rpms).

I would Definately Recommend you the TDi.

Yes definitely follow the 3 steps mentioned mentioned by sudeepd to give a long and trouble free life for your turbo.

One of my friend's having a Verna CRDI busted his turbo at 85k kms after not following the above steps.

Hey man , no problem with tdi engines and its turbo working condition .

I have a marina which shares same engine of vista tdi and is clocking 113500 kms now. Except a diesel pump service no other major expense other than normal wear and tear like suspension , bushes ,clutch etc.

And top of that my aunt has purchased a vista terra tdi a couple of months back. Do check its owner ship report in the forum. I too drive that car .

This vista is better than incica dls as there is no turbo and in ac there is so so low pick up compared to this. and the price difference b\w dls and terra tdi is 13K here.

So i suggest no harm in going with vista tdi.

The Only bad thing is that the console is in center , hate to see speedo in center and esp during night , its so much irritating like

Last edited:
The TDi Vista is a great car to drive. Our company vehicle is Vista TDi almost an year old has clocked around 56000km. Still the engine is as smooth as a new one. Go for it without any second thought.

Thread Starter #39
The TDi Vista is a great car to drive. Our company vehicle is Vista TDi almost an year old has clocked around 56000km. Still the engine is as smooth as a new one. Go for it without any second thought.
@Akash ,@ilango :Thanks For Your Suggestions Guys.Wait till Tomorrow ,Will Inform Whether I am buying this Car or Not.
and @ilango: The Difference in prices between Terra Vista and V2 DLS is around 30,000 Rupees.

Thread Starter #41
Guys ,I have paid for Indica Vista Terra QJD.But Needs Some Help in Decoding the VIN Number.If It turns out to be September 2009 built ,I think I will have to wait for another month for delivery. :(

Top Bottom