WagonR LXi - Long Term Ownership experience

Thread Starter #1
We had to replace our 5 year old maruti 800 and options were alto or wagonr. Alto was too cramped, also the engine felt too sluggish when AC is On. So we prefered wagonr LXi black color. We bought it on 4 april 2007.
Read my review which i wrote at that time - anmol_wagonr's Reviews - MouthShut.com

Buying experience

Got call from DD motors-peeragarhi that the car is available for test Ride, my father and I took the test drive and we were impressed by the space and headroom. The car's pick up was also very good, so we book the car in last week of march 2007 and got it delivered in first week of april 2007. We exchanged our maruti 800 with wagon r. Delivery procedure was ok. Accessories fitted from showroom were foot mat,Sony CD player along with 2 speakers, wheel cover, mud flaps, side molding, gear lock, remote locking. No PDI was done by me as I was not aware of such things at that time, but i did thoroughly while buying Honda city.

The entire delivery procedure took around 4 hours and we drove out of showroom by 6PM.

First service

First service was done at DD motors. The car had run 1050KMs by then. There was a minor "issue" - the gear tightness. Service adviser told me that it was due to new car and gear box of wagonr is slightly tight.Engine oil was replaced as adviced by service people. Charged for oil and misc consumbales like washer fluid.
The car was washed and waxed well. I am happy with there service, but yes there is always rush there so have to reach early to save time standing in queues.

Second Service

Second service was also done by the DD motors, peeragarhi. This time it charged me NIL as engine oil was not changed. I sill complained of gear shift problem but they gave me similar excuse,by the time i read so many reviews about wagonr and almost every owner has this issue.

Third service

The WagonR's 3rd service was done at 10400KMs. Engine oil was changed and oil filter was changed for the first time. Total cost was 1150. I did wheel balancing, rotation and alignment outside as maruti people charge a bomb for the job.

During the period 10,000KMs to 20,000KM, a sad incident happened with the car. During driving at speed of just 40-50 near azadpur a big stone came under the car and destroyed oil sink, gear box,the complete oil came out and engine was halted. We were lucky that engine was not seized as car was driven for about 300-500 meters to take it to safe place. Called maruti people and they towed the car to SVC. The SVC people gave a total estimate of around 50-60K and the estimated time was one month including all formalities of Insurance etc. At that time we were not having any other spare car, so decided not to give car to the SVC. Instead by reference of good friend we took the car to a Reputed Service center and they estimated cost around 15k only as they checked that engine was ok and no work would be done to engine as maruti svc told me that there is damage to engine. Complete gear box housing, engine oil sink and other misc items were replaced by genuine maruti parts along with complete service and it cost us around 16000 INR.

Though we were thinking of selling the car initially, but after receiving the car it was same as earlier, no change in performace etc, so dropped this decision. Car never gave any problem (touch wood)

Fourth service

20000KM service was done at 20150 KM.Engine oil, oil filter, gear oil,etc were changed. Carbon cleaning and injector cleaning were done. Also some minor parts were changed. Total bill was Rs around 5000.

Fifth service

Fifth service at 29900KMs on 2 dec 2010.it costed me 7500 INR as gear oil, engine oil, fuel filter, air filter, engine decarbonising, spark plug replacement, brake pads cleaning, wiper blade change and some other misc things were performed

I am overall very happy with the car. fuel efficiency is around 12-15 kmpl depending on AC use and riding pattern. i am also impressed with the handling, can easily do 120-130 safely. only negative i can think of is gear shifts especialli 1st to 2nd and reverse.

Last week i put sun film(35%) and car looks even more beautiful.Currently the ODO is at 31000 KM.

Some pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:
fantastic crisp review of the ownership. it would have been better with some more pics of your beauty..
hey, btw, i felt the servicing bills have been a little steep! or may be i am not in touch.

Thread Starter #4
incredible review anmol.

happy and safe driving
cheers
Thanks jayadev

fantastic crisp review of the ownership. it would have been better with some more pics of your beauty..
hey, btw, i felt the servicing bills have been a little steep! or may be i am not in touch.
You are absolutely right. last service cost me a bomb. but it was understandable as they charged 1400 itself for engine decarbonizing, gear oil chage, engine oil , front and rear disc cleaning for 1500 etc.

Hey Anmol good review but more pictures would do justice to this thread!

And hey don you feel the bills are high that too for a petrol car? My Safari which was serviced for 1,00,000KM service last month costed me Rs.5500 only which included oil change , filter change , gearbox oil change and crown oil change along with washing and vacuuming.

Thread Starter #6
Hey Anmol good review but more pictures would do justice to this thread!

And hey don you feel the bills are high that too for a petrol car? My Safari which was serviced for 1,00,000KM service last month costed me Rs.5500 only which included oil change , filter change , gearbox oil change and crown oil change along with washing and vacuuming.
Thanks cooldhaya.

for the service bill, yes i even think so. i am writing detail of each work and cos as mentioned in the bill(i dont have access to scanner).

Wagonr LXI - Service at 30K

Parts
1. spark plugs - Rs. 213

2.air cleaner - Rs. 155

3.fuel filter - Rs. 241

4.gasket - Rs. 50

5.oil filter - Rs.70

6.wiper blade - rs 170

7.Decarbonising - rs 1653

8.engine oil - rs 854

9. gear oil - rs 762

10. misc consumbales - rs 100

Labour
1.paid service - rs 850

2.tappet adjustement - rs 350

3.throttle body cleaning - rs 450

4.drum brake cleaning - rs 500

5.disc brake cleaning - rs 350

Vat and service Tax - rs 1000 lumsum

total around 7800 - INR

Is this nominal work done for 30K service

Great report Anmol! You have mentioned almost everything in your part, which is the best part. Keep us updated with your future services.

Which company sunfilm you got recently? Can you please tell me the brand and price.

Thread Starter #8
Great report Anmol! You have mentioned almost everything in your part, which is the best part. Keep us updated with your future services.

Which company sunfilm you got recently? Can you please tell me the brand and price.
i got garware classic 35 % visibility at the back and sides done for Rs.1900 with 3 year warranty

Excellent writeup Anmol. Please add some more pics of your ride. Especially the interior snaps!

Dont know about the 30k service bill, but even i paid 5000bucks for my Alto's 20K service!

very nice long term review anmol. this is next best maruti in india which has survived in market and also still doing great on slaes after 800 / alto. [glasses]

Thread Starter #12
Excellent writeup Anmol. Please add some more pics of your ride. Especially the interior snaps!

Dont know about the 30k service bill, but even i paid 5000bucks for my Alto's 20K service!
Thanks akash

very nice long term review anmol. this is next best maruti in india which has survived in market and also still doing great on slaes after 800 / alto. [glasses]
yes umang wagonr is very success full product of maruti.

Thanks for a prompt reply. I think it comes with a certificate also so Poilce can't challan us anywhere in India for tinted glasses?

police cant chalan even a non-branded if it is under permissible limits i.e 50 % visibility.

Nice picture again Anmol. The engine compartment is looking really neat.

only negative i can think of is gear shifts especialli 1st to 2nd and reverse.
I guess this is a common cry among the old gen wagonR and Alto owners. The gearbox of both these cars has been replaced with a much smoother one in their newer K10 versions.

Your service bill looks to be normal buddy!

Looks i have to change my perception that petrol cars are cheaper to maintain then![evil] Of course i agree petrol cars are cheaper to maintain in the longer run after 4-5 years!

Top Bottom