Wagon R 2007 Lxi Minor DIYs - Tachometer, Armrest etc.

Thread Starter #1
Finally managed to get the Maruti Ritz tachometer fitted onto my Wangon R 2007 Lxi Duo. The meter works like a charm . I followed all the connections as per this blog( http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/7572-tachometer-install-maruti-zen-estilo.html ). To simplify them , they are (Connections -- Red from tacho - To ACC positive, Black - To Negative, Yellow with white stripes - Tacho signal (connect to brown wire behind dash, Yellow with blue stripe - Bakclit).

The only problem i faced during the wiring was for the backlit. The meter workd fine with the back light on with the ignition but when I put the parking lights on, the backlight of the tacho would go off. After alot of brain storming with my mechanic he finally found an extra negative terminal inside the dash and connected the backlight to that (as per what he says). The back light now remains on all through out and I personally had no issues with that fact. The image shows the brown wire which severs as the Tacho signal for the meter.

20130609_143349.jpg

20130618_125743.jpg

Coming to the mounting mechanism for the Tacho. Hats off to my mechanic for that job as well. [cheers] First we held the tacho up-right and marked the position and made two very fine, neat cuts to use the side clamps at the base of the tacho. We cut the long pillars which were made on the tacho to extend into the dash as well. Between the two cuts we made, we also made a hole in the center for all the wires to go through.

Using only the side clamps under the tacho made the job simpler. The tacho fits as if it were made for that car itself or possibly company fitted. It fits perfectly tight and does not rattle on the dashboard no matter what. Keep in mind not to make the cuts on the dash too large orelse the meter would not fit too well. Looks amazing on the dash. Makes my baby reli gorgeous inside and adds a new spark to it. Finaly also attached a pic of my baby revving at 4000 RPM [clap].

20130618_125757.jpg

20130618_125732.jpg

20130618_154139.jpg

Re: Wagon R 2007 Lxi Minor DIY's - Tachometer, Armrest etc.

Neatly installed.. I guess the speedo's black light (orange) is also the same color in wagonr.

Where are the pic's of arm rest ?

Thread Starter #3

Neatly installed.. I guess the speedo's black light (orange) is also the same color in wagonr.

Where are the pic's of arm rest ?
Thanks alot Varun. The tachos colour is orange n speedo's colour is kinda white in the waggy, though im not particular about that as such and have'nt yet fitted the armrest. will keep the thread updated with developments[:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #4

Okay, to start with the arm rest installation, I firstly purchased the armrest from ebay ( Universal Car Center Console Arm Rest / Hand Rest in Beige Color | eBay ) and received the product hassle free. 1st impressions, plasticky build , nothing fantastic but good quality of materials used for the pad on the rest.

Feels great to drive with! Before i move on I'd like to say that I had ordered the same one from another site and they sent a completely different product!. Got a few scratches on the plastic in my car due to that[frustration] but time should heal all. Starting with the looks of it, its quite moderately sized, not too large nor too small. Should fit well on most cars. Comes with screws in the box, but u might fall short of a pair or so. Just buy some from the hardware shop in such a case.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #5
To start with the fitting, the arm rest fits slightly tight but I personally feel that is the case only with my waggie as the the seats could have got flattened over the years due to useage and hence the sides slightly get into the way. Not at all a major problem thou. First we have to make sure we assemble the handrest so we can keep that ready. The next step is to get the plastic console that covers the handbrake n gear shift out of the car so we can work on it comfortably. For this, remove the screws on both the sides of the console right in line where the gear shift is. U will find two more at the back near the hand brake. Those are most likely the lock types which you would have to kind of pluck out. Then open the other two components on the console which is below the hand brake n the black part wich covers the gear stick and check for screws inside and remove again. Carefully pull the panel out of the car in order to make markings to screw the base plate of the armrest on. You will mostly need someones help to hold the armrest in position while you make markings on both the sides of the handbrake cover or console. Once this is done, u can use a pointed screw driver to puncture holes into the plastic of the console. Then preferably use a pointed mid size screw and fit the armrest's base plate onto the console and tighten all four sides properly. Carefully place it back into your car and fit all the screws n pannels on as you had removed them.

Your armrest is ready to use now![cheers] The armrest does not as such interfere with the use of the hand brake ....but if your one to use emergency handbrake often then you may need to look at another option or just get use to it then. It also provides decent storage space for small items and adds a great deal of comfort on long drives!

Attachments

To start with the fitting, the arm rest fits slightly tight but I personally feel that is the case only with my waggie as the the seats could have got flattened over the years due to useage and hence the sides slightly get into the way. Not at all a major problem thou. First we have to make sure we assemble the handrest so we can keep that ready. The next step is to get the plastic console that covers the handbrake n gear shift out of the car so we can work on it comfortably. For this, remove the screws on both the sides of the console right in line where the gear shift is. U will find two more at the back near the hand brake. Those are most likely the lock types which you would have to kind of pluck out. Then open the other two components on the console which is below the hand brake n the black part wich covers the gear stick and check for screws inside and remove again. Carefully pull the panel out of the car in order to make markings to screw the base plate of the armrest on. You will mostly need someones help to hold the armrest in position while you make markings on both the sides of the handbrake cover or console. Once this is done, u can use a pointed screw driver to puncture holes into the plastic of the console. Then preferably use a pointed mid size screw and fit the armrest's base plate onto the console and tighten all four sides properly. Carefully place it back into your car and fit all the screws n pannels on as you had removed them.

Your armrest is ready to use now![cheers] The armrest does not as such interfere with the use of the hand brake ....but if your one to use emergency handbrake often then you may need to look at another option or just get use to it then. It also provides decent storage space for small items and adds a great deal of comfort on long drives!
Hi Arish, Thanks for the detailed instructions. May be I will give it a shot-or if I can find it at same price range from a shop.

I actually wanted to anyone who has tried installing the LED Sill plates or got it done from a shop ? And whether it affects the warranty ??

Thread Starter #7
Hi Arish, Thanks for the detailed instructions. May be I will give it a shot-or if I can find it at same price range from a shop.

I actually wanted to anyone who has tried installing the LED Sill plates or got it done from a shop ? And whether it affects the warranty ??
Thanks for the response. Honestly I am not really sure about the LED stuff so would not actually suggest anything. Anyways do keep me posted [thumbsup]

Awesome installations they just look so neat and proffesionally Done.Did you cut dashboard with blade to make holes??

Thread Starter #9
Awesome installations they just look so neat and proffesionally Done.Did you cut dashboard with blade to make holes??
Hey there fahad thanx fr the appreciation. Blades would possibly snap if used against those thick dashboard plastics. My mechanics used screwdrivers to get through the plastic and shaped it with a blade then.

Nice installation. Tachometer fits neatly. Armrest also looks super but it would be even super if it is in Black colour.

Very well done [clap]
Tachometer and armrest looking fantastic. Looking at the pictures, just get the feeling that its very difficult to move the front row seats once it is fitted. Also it looks like armrest also not moving completely in vertical direction. I am also planning to fit the same for my micra. But just wanted to get feedback on the product. Will it fit on any car ?

Nice installations bro. That tachometer doesn't look like an aftermarket. It just reminds the Ritz taco. [:)]
DO change the cover of armrest so it'll match your car seats.

Top Bottom