VW Vento (Few Months Old) Catches Fire, Brakes Fail

Thread Starter #1
This time a Vento
NEW DELHI: A woman employed with an MNC had a close shave when her few months old Volkswagen Vento car, which was serviced last Monday, caught fire near Bhikaji Cama Place on Saturday. She asked her driver to check the car after a biker pointed at the bonnet.

"It was then we noticed smoke emitting from the car. The driver tried to stop it but the brakes failed. The driver then tried changing the gears but even that was not working. The driver somehow managed to stop near Bhikaji Cama Place and we got off the car. In the next few seconds, the entire car was on fire. We indeed were lucky to have got out in the nick of time," she said.

Mukherjee said the car was brand new and she had had its first servicing done on Monday. They had travelled for ten minutes in the car and were heading to a petrol pump when it caught fire, she said.
Source

Akash1886

Honoured Member
This time a Vento
Horrifying, Is it that VW is influenced so much by Skoda that they have not paid proper attention to the vehicle during the service? Absolutely unforgiving!

Thanks to that kind soul who informed the innocent Passengers and they took the step at right time.

This Skoda and VW tantrums are becoming worse day by day.:mad:

Thanks Satish for informing this.

Regards

Akash

Vw service is so pathetic, today i thought of cleaning my air filter, i saw, few nuts on air filter cover were not properly tightened.
And here i covered 7000kms after car service and was driving like if nothing happened. They left the nuts loose.

How could it have been 'a few months old' and have had its first service? I wonder if the fire was caused by some short circuit in some unfused accessory fitted. It could of course also have been some component or human failure.

All please stop sewing VW, its a good brand,l.
Just think what if no polo and vento in indian roads, the company started a new legacy in youth racing carrier, who made racing a stock ready.
But after all that. A single car catched fire , think of nano and Suzuki swift,which happened same,
When electricals and leacking fuel line kisses,its a disaster.
If something wrong in these two things car catches fire in few seconds and nothing can be stopped, as clutch was electric, driver could not changed gears, he could have stopped using e brake.

Its a sad disaster but VW but can any if you bet its worst than MS and Tata?

VW cars are well engineered
Only 1 in a lack happens to have,this could be a manufactured fault ot faulty components.
Coming to service, yes i agree , as indian labors cook book the service manual, they particularly know less about compex engineering in these cars, may be a fault by a service man who was checking all lines could have mistakenly did something to feul line . this could have been a reason.
So i sew the service guys here,insted of the brand name """"""VW"""""'

We need make judgement knowing the full story. VW is one of the largest manufacturer of Cars globally and the cars are well engineered and tested before productionizing. Vento though started as specific to India is now a Global model sold in Russia, Emirates, SA, etc.
In most cases of fire, after market accessories are the culprit. VW dealers though was sluggish at the start they have improved vastly and that is a good sign.
If as the report says the car is a few months old, then what was it doing at the service centre?
Hope we get to know the full story, but usually such cases we will not get to know beyond this.

There are pleanty of cars catching fire in indian roads. It is not only a case of a vento,a nano. The car/variant which caught fire most will be Maruti Omni. Mostly old ill maintained and running in LPG/CNG. Second would be Ambassedor.

But i think the news of new generation & high end cars catching fire makes people more nervous.
I am not sure why some particular brand cars like Vento & Eon are more prone to fire and you can see earlier cases in TAI itself.
Yesterday night only one 2013 model Eon car caught fire near to my home(Kalady,Cochin).All 5 passengers are safe and they were travelling from Kozhikode to attend a marriage function. As per driver, horn stopped working minutes before and find smoke coming out from the bonnet and they stopped and get out of the car. car caught fire within in minutes and fully burned before Fire force reaching the location.

If the horn stopped working that is the clue to what the culprit could have been. Dual horns installed with unfused connection from the battery.

Main culprit behind these incidents need to be analysed. Just a single story can't ruin the entire company's reputation. As in several cases the reason is some fuel leakage or electric failure.
Even the most trusted brand in our country maruti had same incidents. But, did it showed any impact of its sales? A big NO.

A single car catched fire , think of nano and Suzuki swift,which happened same,
Sir, I mean no offence but just recently some Laura TDi also catched a fire, same with a Polo.
stingray said:
When electricals and leacking fuel line kisses,its a disaster.
If something wrong in these two things car catches fire in few seconds and nothing can be stopped, as clutch was electric, driver could not changed gears, he could have stopped using e brake.
My guess, though this is just another theory - The clutch/transmission components overheated and maybe caught fire. Then it damaged the hydraulic system, failing the brakes.
stingray said:
Its a sad disaster but VW but can any if you bet its worst than MS and Tata?

VW cars are well engineered
Only 1 in a lack happens to have,this could be a manufactured fault ot faulty components.
Coming to service, yes i agree , as indian labors cook book the service manual, they particularly know less about compex engineering in these cars, may be a fault by a service man who was checking all lines could have mistakenly did something to feul line . this could have been a reason.
So i sew the service guys here,insted of the brand name """"""VW"""""'
Same here. The only thing I couldn't understand (apart from the other ones) was: WHY DOES VW EVEN TOLERATE THE SERVICE CENTERS!?!?!? If they keep everyone in check, things might be better. And, the thing I agree with, the most, is that VW cars are the best engineered! But the A.S.S. is not so [frustration]

Best way is to take the car to your trusted mech after each service (to see that everything is right)

Improper installation of aftermarket accessories and fancy lighting can be very dangerous for your vehicle. Many times i have personally experienced that local installers don't care for safety of your vehicle. They usually don't cover the naked wire joints properly . One needs to stand on their head to get the installation done nicely and to save your vehicle from those horrible movements .

Top Bottom