Volkswagen Vento Road Test Drive Review

Excellent work guys superb review.One of the better designed boot to a hatch we have seen.Good quality build as well as plastics which definately makes you feel premium.What VW needs to do is to improve their dealership network, their delivery issues and some dealer shobby attitude.

excellent review Zinam!! this car looks great!! i know someone who may be actually considering this beast!! this color is also so cooL!!

another commendable report guys. [thumbsup] IMHO Vento is only worth contender VFM c-segment car in india after/as fiat linea..

Excellent report & review 350Z & Zinam.

I liked the car, But the break & accelerator pedal are too close for me.

The engine sound seems to be more.
My Car doesn't even makes a sluuggish sound as said by Zinam.
All the times cabin is silent, with no engine noise.

Good report and photos Zinam! Is that the parking lot of your home in the first picture?

I too actually like the Vento a lot and the best part is its diesel engine. I feel the Fiesta and Verna are going to take a serious beating here. The interiors look refreshing and upmarket!

Zinam Verna CRDI or Vento TDI?[evil] Only performance! I know the Vento will be having good stability even at high speeds.

350Z

Core Team
Overall I’m impressed with the Vento; it’s worth comparing with Fiat Linea but the only gripe which I personally find is that it lacks the bulky stance which a sedan in this segment should have, while opening the door I rather felt like sitting in an entry-level small sedan, unlike Linea or any other C-segment car for that matter.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Took a Test Drive of the Vento Diesel, Petrol was unavailable & was promised a call from the Sales Rep, still awaiting his call [surprise]

Couple of things observed:-

Dealership:

1) Did not allow proper TD, only limited to a stretch of road parallel & in vicinity of the premises.
2) 4 months waiting for diesel version with 31/2 months for petrol in this day & age is ridiculous!
3) Limited choice of colours on offer, metallic shades only available post jan 2011!

Vento Diesel:

1) Price demanded not justified with respect to quality of plastics/seat fabrics & such, especially for Highline.

2) Noticeable turbo lag, in 1st & 2nd gears, when in pedal to metal mode.

3) Very unnerving feel with respect to handling at speeds over 110kmph.

4) Bouncy ride.

5) Slick gearbox fun to operate, throttle response of engine is noteworthy.

6) Bland looks & plain jane interiors are a deal killer.

Overall VW thinks they are doing a big 'merbani' to the consumer & this very attitude is not at all warranted. They will loose out in the long run if they continue to operate in this fashion.

Last edited:
Strange! Of all the dealerships i have visited so far i found VW to be the best , i went to the TD the Jetta. I went just once and after that they followed me and offered me a TD the next day. I was given a good 90 mins TD with 60 mins in city conditions and full 30 mins highway conditions.

And waiting period i think even Swift has the same waiting periods and not to forget the Dzire and lets not forget the big boy Fortuner , here waiting period in Chennai is one year!! But colors very bad mistake on VW'S part and that is why i have seen only white and silver on road till now i guess!

Turbo lag agree , but unnervy at about 110kmph? That's real bad , i thought being a VW its handling would be exceptional especially at high speeds!

Yup even I was surprised by the unnerving feeling at speeds over 110 k's, thing is I found out about this due to their strict limit of short TD & stretch of road on offer. It was a typical service road (narrow winding road with lots of dips/eroded speed bumps/up & down asphalting & uneven surfaces) Was really upset by the stretch of road on offer & tight duration/distance available for TD & hence at every opportunity available(read as sparse traffic/pedestrian clearance) was gunning the throttle[evil] That is how I managed to discover this flaw if you may call it that[surprise]

WOW, 1 year waiting in chennai[surprise]!!! won't this kind of wait kill all enthusiasm for buying the vento???

That dealership you went to should be given 1st prize for truly looking after a prospective buyer, one will really think of buying even a more expensive vehicle than one's budget permits, if he is given such royal treatment, kudos to them.

As for the fortuner, since it has no real competition, they can get away with it, so does the swift dzire(only maruti on sale with not even 1 rupee discount offered!) but when you are in the segment in which vento is placed, you cannot afford to act the way VW is doing. Already expectations from VW are sky high, so they better get their act together quickly!

Last edited:
Hey Denom i said waiting period for Fortuner is 1 year in Chennai for Vento its 6 months for diesel and 4 months for petrol i think.

Here their dealership is quite good actually! One of my friend is looking to buy a Polo and so went there again yesterday. We were offered a TD for 30 mins in city conditions and he asked us to go for more if we want to!

Wow. And folks are willing to wait that long for their dream cars!
I hope car makers ramp up production so they do not have this long of a waiting period.

Re: Volkswagen Vento Road Test Review

Finally managed to get a TD of the petrol vento today. The TD vento was the Trendline Version.

Since discussed major details of the Vento in Diesel TD earlier, just going to give my observations with respect to things I found differing with the Diesel Vento:

Petrol Unit Underpowered & Sluggish with respect to Diesel Unit.

Lesser Weight of Petrol Unit definitely aids in handling & suspension was less bouncy.

Trendline Interiors very Dull & Boring

Not at all VFM with on road pricing of 8+ Lacs on road, Mumbai - for what basically is a hatch with a boot!

Note:
Still only 4 colours offered (Red/White/Black & Silver)

Waiting for Petrol version also estimated @ 3 months, ridiculous indeed!

Now that i've TD'ed both versions, the Vento for me definitely not a very attractive deal, better to go with a Linea T-Jet for Petrol Heads [thumbsup]

Vento is having huge waiting periods even in Chennai especially for diesel! Wonder what VW is upto , Vento TDI has 5 months waiting period here , petrol though can be got within a month!

350Z

Core Team

Some nice observation points highlighted there, Denom. Volkswagen Vento is over all a good sedan but price to competition ratio is not just as apt as it should be. Yet, wondering the fantastic sales, which have resulted in creating a backlog. By the way, I did not have a professional experience with Volkswagen South Delhi dealer either, but this fact usually depends upon dealer to dealer. If I remember correctly, the waiting period for Volkswagen Vento Petrol in Delhi is approximately 2 to 3 months.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom