Volkswagen Up! Spotted in India

Thread Starter #1
Source:Autocar India - The Best Car News and Reviews - Autocar India

Here are the very first undisguised pictures of Volkswagen’s all-new Up hatchback, spotted in New Delhi. The hatchback is poised to be a show-stopper at the upcoming Auto Expo 2012 in the capital.

Seen here is an entry-level variant of the three-door version of the hatchback that misses out on alloy wheels and front fog lamps. Instead it gets steel wheels with covers and black-coloured door handles and outside rear-view mirrors. It’s safe to assume that this model will be used purely as a ‘show car’ at the Expo since, for the Indian market, VW will only launch the five-door version of the Up and it will be positioned below the Polo.

Holding true to the look of the original concept, the production Up has a simple two-box silhouette. Among the more distinctive design flourishes is a large front bumper featuring a low-set, rectangular grille. This, together with large, angular headlights, helps to give the Up a more expressive face. Pronounced wheel arch flares are aimed at emphasising the Up’s wide tracks, giving it confident stance by small-car standards. At the back, the tailgate has an outer glass cover and vertical tail lights which, though part of the body, look integrated with the hatch.

VW claims it has been able to provide the new car with class-leading levels of interior space through the use of a wheelbase that provides the Up with ultra-short overhangs. Along with seating for four adults, the Up also offers 251 litres of luggage space, extending to 951 litres with the rear seats folded.

Unlike the 2007 Up concept, which used a rear-engined, rear-drive layout, the production car has a more conventional transverse, front-mounted engine and front-wheel-drive architecture. The Indian-market Up will get an all-new range of fuel-efficient petrol and diesel engines ranging from 1 to 1.2 litre.

We expect the car to be launched in India at the end of 2013 and the biggest challenge for Volkswagen will be to price this car competitively. We understand that the German manufacturer is targeting at a price range of Rs 3.5 - 4.5 lakh.

Attachments

Re: Volkswagen UP In India

Bored of seeing same kind or design of hatches, anyway this did not appeal me.Its almost like the Eon and I10.

The rear reminds me of Brio & first model of M800.
Anyways, I am fed up of one hatch after the another being launched, followed by hyped UVs.

Can we have some good cars with boot launches ?:please:

** Adding boot to hatch doesn't make a good sedan always.

350Z

Core Team

Look-wise I find it better than Honda Brio. And wheel covers appear somewhat similar to that we used see on earlier generation Swift.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I do not know how Indian public would take a two door car ! I am against two door cars because at the time of any fatality, it is difficult to take people from rear out. Accidents like car getting fire is a routine incident anywhere in India [sad]. Two door cars would not serve the purpose.

Thread Starter #10
A hatchback car with two doors in India???Dont think so that Volkswagen will do blunders.Could be the four door with production car.

350Z

Core Team
Let us not confuse it with the launch model. This is only a demo vehicle for showcase at Delhi Auto Expo 2012.

Drive Safe,
350Z

350Z

Core Team
Volkswagen is surprisingly not going to showcase Up! at Auto Expo but rather the New Beetle will be there. This news has been confirmed by Hormazd Sorabjee (ACI).

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #14
Five Door VW UP will be a 1.0-liter three-cylinder petrol with 60 PS and 75 PS in two different states of tune. Expect the car to have the 1.2 liter turbo diesel mills from the Fabia and the Polo as an option.The car is expected to hit the roads in India early 2013.

Motoriods

350Z

Core Team
Volkswagen will finalize about the launch of Up! in India by the end of 2012. An excerpt from Economic Times:

We are currently working on the feasibility to launch the UP! in the Indian market. I would like to take a decision by the end of this year. India is a very competitive and low- cost market. We are at present addressing only about 30-35 per cent of the Indian car market. With the UP!, we will be able to launch the vast volume-driven segment. To have an engine and gearbox unit, we need a volume of at least 2.5 lakh units annually. We are observing and working on the feasibility. After that announcement(regarindg Volkswagen planning to launch the Up! in India during the end of 2012), the market went down and now we will take a decision to bring in a small car for the entire group, It is difficult to make money in small cars.
Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom