Volkswagen Polo GT TSi Review & Pictures: Vollkommen Polo

Thanks jazzyb.

As of now, Headlights gets changed.[;)] Well, actually headlamps were fogged when car was delivered. So tomorrow I get a replacement unit.

This car is for my father (supposedly) so no mods planned as of now. I may go oversize tyres once i destroy the ones that came factory fitted. May be k&n filters. Rest will remain stock for atleast 4 years.
My two cents is to stay away from tire upgrade. I did on my Vento Tsi, drove for 10000kms and switched back to stock tires as the DSG started holding the gears for long and faced some erratic shifts owing to additional weight sensed by the sensors.
I tried 195/60 and 205/55 with MC5's on both occasions.

I have this weird issue in my POLO GT Tsi.

Therz a weird sound from the gearbox, like metal rubbing against each other, when the gear changes. Like clutch slipping may be. It happens when i go on long drives. And its more pronounced when I climb inclines or go down the hill. On flat roads, no sound at all.

Anyone experienced this?

i think you should visit your agency. Some rattling in inherent with this gearbox, there is lot of information regarding this on internet. Read about this and than decide, you should worry or not.

its not rattling sound. Its a rubbing sound. Like say moving a table with metal legs on a smooth floor. More of a low frequency sound.

Therz no jerk or any other things happening during that sound. I talked to the service technician, but i feel if i cant replicate that when i visit them, it wont be solved.

First try to search and co-relate your problem with the ones that are well documented on various forums. You can also try youtube for your problem than you can show it to them.
There are mainly two issues which i found online.

1. Mechatronics unit: 85-90% problem solved by changing to mineral oil, New failures are few and rare. *Touchwood*

2. Clutch Packs: Changed design in mid 2011-12, and few software updates solved this problem to a great extent. But eventually clutch packs will need to be replaced, be prepared for it.

May be the sound is not coming from gearbox and some other part.

All the above information is based on my limited knowledge and only based on what i read on internet.

The service technician was able to replicate the sound coming from the gearbox during the tests and they've made a video of it and are sending it to the company along with the ecu readings after last gearbox software update. Will have to wait for the reply from company.

Car was given to the ASS for 15000 kms service on saturday.

Another jewel in the crown of VW'S reliability and endurance. Most of the people going Gaga over this DSG gear box are the ones who have just test driven and very few accolades from people who own.
Make no mistake, the gear box if trouble free is very good on open roads but the Gear ratios for city driving and driving around crowded areas suck. The steering and suspension leaves a lot to be desired for a sporty run off.

Company has asked ASS to replace the clutch pack. New clutch in 15000 kms![surprise]
The service technician was able to replicate the sound coming from the gearbox during the tests and they've made a video of it and are sending it to the company along with the ecu readings after last gearbox software update. Will have to wait for the reply from company.

Car was given to the ASS for 15000 kms service on saturday.
If you don't mind me asking, was you car driven mostly in stop and go traffic? clutch pack failure at 15000 kms is unacceptable even for VW.

While you are at it please make sure to take some written assurance from service centre that every thing is taken care off and the car is roadworthy. Put pressure on them to change mechatronics unit too.

Because once they open the box the chances of failure of other parts increase manifold give the extremely qualified nature of technicians working at VW shops. [frustration]

I think yours is a rarest of rare case where clutch packs failed at such short life. Best of Luck and i hope you will get your car in original form. Please keep us posted with the updates. Fingers crossed.

Right now they'll only change the clutch pack. ASS say they need 10 days for it. I checked the net and found out that clutch pack is the whole clutch assy (ie friction plates + pressure plates + internal bearings + clutch cover ) . No need to place individual components and assemble it. It comes pre-assembled.

So steps are, once the gearbox has been downed,
1. remove the circlips.
2. Remove the clutch pack.
3. Put the new clutch pack.
4. Put the new circlip that comes with the pack.
5. Install the gearbox.

So 10 days, I'll have to talk tough on that. Hopefully reduce it to 2-3 days. And also try to get a loaner car.

If the issue persists then will have to talk to them about the whole unit/mechatronic unit.

If you don't mind me asking, was you car driven mostly in stop and go traffic? clutch pack failure at 15000 kms is unacceptable even for VW.

I think yours is a rarest of rare case where clutch packs failed at such short life. Best of Luck and i hope you will get your car in original form. Please keep us posted with the updates. Fingers crossed.
Mine is small town. From home to work is 5 mins drive. And rest is all highway drive. But I've traveled to the hills a lot. They are steep and narrow roads. So, a little bit excessive wear is expected. The sales guy during the purchase told me clutch lasts only 50000 kms. So I guessed it may run upto 35000. 15000 is sucker punch.

BTW, VW cant blame me for the wear. [:D]
Its their software that dictates clutch application and gear changes. I am in no control of the clutch what-so-ever.

Mine is small town. From home to work is 5 mins drive. And rest is all highway drive. But I've traveled to the hills a lot. They are steep and narrow roads. So, a little bit excessive wear is expected. The sales guy during the purchase told me clutch lasts only 50000 kms. So I guessed it may run upto 35000. 15000 is sucker punch.

BTW, VW cant blame me for the wear. [:D]
Its their software that dictates clutch application and gear changes. I am in no control of the clutch what-so-ever.
A question not to be asked but still.[embarass]
Have you tried DSG reset?

A question not to be asked but still.[embarass]
Have you tried DSG reset?
Nope. Had asked service guys to check if therz any update. There was one and they did it.

I would've uploaded the video of the issue here so that other owners get to know this so that they can act proactively if it ever happens in their cars. Dont know how to. Cant figure out how to rather. [embarass]

Guyz,

One question. The instantaneous mileage reading.
Therz 2 reading. kml1 and kml2?

Whats the difference in calculations
kml1 clearly shows instantaneous mileage.

BUT kml2 has different calculations. What is it?

Top Bottom