Volkswagen Launches Cross Polo – The Sporty Avatar of Polo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Volkswagen Polo Cross has been spotted testing on the Indian soil for the first time by fellows at Indiancarsbikes.in .

Quoting from the article -

Essentially, the Cross Polo adds a modicum of macho to the Polo hatchback by means of body cladding, taller wheels, roof rails and restyled front and rear bumpers. It remains to be seen whether Volkswagen India gives the Polo Cross a higher ground clearance to go with the car’s butch new looks.

ICB Exclusive: Volkswagen Polo Cross caught testing in India - Indian Cars Bikes : Indian Cars Bikes

2013-Volkswagen-Polo-Cross-Hatchback-Spyshot.jpg

Earlier Autocar had said that the Volkswagen will be launching the Cross Polo around the festive period or end 2013 with the updated 1.5 TDI engine. A tailgate mounted spare wheel might also be there to give it a more SUV flair. Dont really know how that will look on the otherwise gorgeous looking car.
The only good part about this car i see is the new 1.5 TDI engine if only its launched with one.

SCOOP! Volkswagen CrossPolo coming to India | News | Autocar India

images (2).jpg
images (3).jpg

Only if they had given us the 17 inch alloy wheels in this Cross Polo like in the European version, it would have really stood out. Those 15 inch regular Highline alloys on this test car look really miniscule with the added claddings.

Re: VW Polo Cross Caught Testing in India

Thanks for the scoop GM88,looks like VW has prepared all the decals('CROSSPOLO' sticker near the rear wheel) for it,launch should be around 2-3 months away.[clap]
It will be interesting to see what all engine options VW provides for this one.

But a Cross Polo with a 1.2 NA petrol and 1.2 TDi? Come on. I hope they plonk in the 1.2 TSi atleast but still, I don't think the car will do well in the form of raking in numbers for VW. It reminds me of the Fabia Scout. I think the fate will be the same.

Earlier Autocar had said that the Volkswagen will be launching the Cross Polo around the festive period or end 2013 with the updated 1.5 TDI engine.
So may be 1.5 Tdi engine enters India with Cross Polo. Seems unlikely given the popularity of regular polo, VW would like to introduce 1.5 in them only.

A tailgate mounted spare wheel might also be there to give it a more SUV flair.
..Which might go into that 'funny automotive pics' thread easily.

Only if they had given us the 17 inch alloy wheels in this Cross Polo like in the European version, it would have really stood out. Those 15 inch regular Highline alloys on this test car look really miniscule with the added claddings.
Would also open up options of old polo owners to update to 17 inchers.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks for the scoop GM88,looks like VW has prepared all the decals('CROSSPOLO' sticker near the rear wheel) for it,launch should be around 2-3 months away.[clap]
It will be interesting to see what all engine options VW provides for this one.
I think VW will be launching the new 1.5 TDI engine with this Cross Polo. I don't see a point of them launching this with the existing power terrain.

But a Cross Polo with a 1.2 NA petrol and 1.2 TDi? Come on. I hope they plonk in the 1.2 TSi atleast but still, I don't think the car will do well in the form of raking in numbers for VW. It reminds me of the Fabia Scout. I think the fate will be the same.
Surely this one will not be getting the 1.2TSi in my view. Even i think its fate is already written before the launch. Can't really see it doing good numbers. For Fabia Scout, i would say, its easier to spot an Audi R8 on road than a Fabia Scout. With this Cross Polo, even if VW priced it 50-60k higher than the regular Highline Polo diesel, it will be entering the territory of some base model SUV's. Don't really know whom are they targeting with this car. Unless and until this one is getting the new 1.5TDi engine under the hood, i jus't don't see it selling.

So may be 1.5 Tdi engine enters India with Cross Polo. Seems unlikely given the popularity of regular polo, VW would like to introduce 1.5 in them only.

Would also open up options of old polo owners to update to 17 inchers.
In the regular Polo, I think VW will plonk it in the next generation Polo which is due for its launch in mid 2014. Till then it will debut in this Cross Polo to get some sales.

Surely would love to see if VW plonks the 17 inchers in this new variant. Will surely make it stand out from the regular Polo's. But going by the test mule, seems highly unlikely.

I agree GM88. I hope they plonk in the 1.5TDI, if not the 1.6TDI. That will atleast see some numbers.

Thread Starter #7

Few more spy pics of the CrossPolo testing on Indian soil. This time by Autocar India. These two test mules were seen on the Mumbai - Gujarat highway.

0_468_700_http-__i.haymarket.net.au_ExtraImages_20130515074321_20130510_124138[1] copy.jpg
0_468_700_http-__i.haymarket.net.au_ExtraImages_20130515074322_20130510_124129[1] copy.jpg

Volkswagen CrossPolo spied in India | News | Autocar India

The skid plate in the rear bumper does seem nice. Although prefer the clean look of the regular Polo anyday. Happy to see there is no tail gated wheel attached in the rear.

Few more spy pics of the CrossPolo testing on Indian soil. This time by Autocar India. These two test mules were seen on the Mumbai - Gujarat highway.
Not bad.
Makes the polo look heavier and at higher stance. I would only touch it if there's a TSI or 1.6 GTD inside the engine bay, otherwise its just like another limited edition version. Testing would be done only if there is significant changes in car other than cosmetics, so I guess there is something is definitely cooking there.

can't wait it to launch. Want to see what has it got underneath!
From the pics, one can make out that there is a increase in the GC!

I must say it kinda looks like a Polo with a body kit on. But looks good. If only they spotted one next to a normal Polo for comparison, it would've been awesome.

Lets see how long would it take to enter the showrooms. BTW it looks much better, as if some body kit is installed.[clap]

I must say it kinda looks like a Polo with a body kit on. But looks good. If only they spotted one next to a normal Polo for comparison, it would've been awesome.
Here is a pictorial comparison between Cross Polo and Normal Polo

Attachments

Thread Starter #14

Thanks for the comparison pics Nishant5858. Cross Polo surely looks quite different from all angles than the regular Polo. The increased ground clearance is prominent from the pics itself. Let's see how VW positions this one in the market. Pricing will be the key factor. If its priced below the likes of the upcoming Ford Ecosport, it might just attract the attention of few customers to itself. Although i still feel it will be a rear species to find on the roads here. But really good to see international manufacturers entering or bringing new segments to the otherwise very conventional Indian auto market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom