Volkswagen Brings Diesel Hot Hatch: Polo GT TDi (Details: Pg.14)

Re: Upgraded Volkswagen Polo Coming. Possibly With 1.6 TDi?

Volkswagen India website has been updated with the GT TDI confirming it comes 1.6TDI engine with 5 speed manual gearbox backed by a 105PS and 250Nm Torque. Even one can book the test drive. Official launch is stated to be either today or tomorrow. Price as stated earlier would be similar to GT TSI, mostly 7.99Lacs ex-showroom Delhi.

Test drive < Polo GT TDI < Models < Welcome to Volkswagen India

And Autocar India has reported that the updated Polo will hit our shores by May 2014 and it will have a 1.5TDI engine which will get excise benefits too. The 1.5TDI engine will comes in two tunes, 89bhp and 104bhp. Regular Polo will be getting the 89bhp engine where as the GT will be getting the same engine tuned with 104bhp. Is it worth going for 1.6 GT TDI now or else wait and buy the updated car with changes in the interiors with more features and approximately at a lesser price in mid 2014.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-ne...ft-with-15-diesel-coming-may-2014-356952.aspx

Last edited:

And Autocar India has reported that the updated Polo will hit our shores by May 2014 and it will have a 1.5TDI engine which will get excise benefits too. The 1.5TDI engine will comes in two tunes, 89bhp and 104bhp. Regular Polo will be getting the 89bhp engine where as the GT will be getting the same engine tuned with 104bhp.
Wow. The one with 104 bhp would be my next buy for sure. I hope it comes loaded with features.

350Z

Core Team

Volkswagen Launches Polo GT TDi in India

Polo GT TDI.jpg

Here comes the official announcement. Volkswagen has launched the New Polo GT TDi in India, equipped with 1.6L (4 Cylinder) engine, producing 105PS @ 4,400RPM and 250NM Torque @ 1500 – 2500 RPM. The car features a five speed manual transmission and is claimed to deliver the mileage of 19.68 Kmpl according to ARAI. Volkswagen Polo GT TDi is available for Rs.8.08 Lakh (Ex. Showroom, Delhi).

Exterior

> “Estrada” 185/60 R15 alloy wheels

> Halogen headlamps with black finish

> "GT" Chrome front grille

> Galvanised body

> Body coloured exteriors

Interior

> Superior 'Milan' Titanschwarz fabric upholstery

> Leather wrapped steering wheel

> Leather wrapped gearshift knob and handbrake lever handle

> Chrome interior trims

> Aluminum pedal cluster

> Sunglass holder inside glove box

> Front centre console including 12V outlet

> Luggage compartment cover/parcel tray

Comfort and Convenience

> 'Climatronic' automatic air conditioning with dust and pollen filter

> Two Din RCD 320 music system with USB, Aux-in, SD Card, Bluetooth and 4 speakers

> Multi-function steering wheel

> Speed-sensitive electronic power steering

> Steering wheel, tilt and telescopic adjustable

> Remote control central locking

> Instrument cluster with Multi-function display

> Height adjustable driver's seat

> Rear parking sensors

> Lane change indicator - triple flash

> Central locking with boot opener in company logo

Safety and Security

> ABS (Anti-lock brake system)

> Dual frontal airbags, driver and co-passenger side

> Electronic engine immobilizer with floating code

> Pinch guard safety for all 4 power windows

> Front disc brakes

> Fog light, front & rear

Color Options:

> Candy White

> Flash Red

> Deep Black Pearl

Polo-GT-TDI-Specifications.png

Drive Safe,
350Z

Pricing seems to be on the expected lines. Not a VFM option by any means, but yes a diesel hot hatch was the need of the hour. Will have to see how this variant does in the market.

I have a query, Is there something wrong with the ARAI testing? If I remember correctly, Vento TDI has ARAI fuel efficiency of 20.5 kmpl The same engine with a lighter body weight in the Polo 1.6 GT TDI is giving a lesser mileage? What could be the reasoning behind this?

This is too tempting move by VW. It is far better to own this 1.6 TDI than the underpowered 1.2 TDI even though it gives lesser mileage and higher price. But, If they want to be more successful in this field, IMO, they should consider 1.4 TDI 4 Cylinder engine with competitive price with all the features in the rival models say for example, Hyundai i20 Asta CRDI.

Last edited:
This is too tempting move by VW. It is far better to own this 1.6 TDI than the underpowered 1.2 TDI even though it gives lesser mileage and higher price. But, If they want to be more successful in this field, IMO, they should consider 1.4 TDI 4 Cylinder engine with competitive price with all the features in the rival models say for example, Hyundai i20 Asta CRDI.
They are bringing the 1.5TDI by May 2014 and since this engine will have a capacity of less than 1500cc it will receive excise benefits[clap].

IMO, they should consider 1.4 TDI 4 Cylinder engine with competitive price with all the features in the rival models
VW's 1.4 TDI is a 3-cylinder engine. That's why they are working on a 1.5 TDI 4-cylinder engine that is expected to debut in India in May'14 per Autocar.

VW's 1.4 TDI is a 3-cylinder engine. That's why they are working on a 1.5 TDI 4-cylinder engine that is expected to debut in India in May'14 per Autocar.
I was under the impression that their 3 cylinder Tdi is 1.2 only. I've no idea even their 1.4 Tdi also a 3 cylindered one.

Well I somewhere have doubt that this car won't be as big cracker to drive as it seems on paper. Why? Look at these numbers:
1.JPG

The gear ratios are not quite tightly packed and there is a lot of difference in some gears which means one needs to push and shift to remain in the peak of performance and hence one can't expect this car to be as much quick in regular driving as it should be. No doubt the car will have more than enough performance if driven with enthusiasm but then how many of us do it regularly?
2 overdriven gears and three gears which are far spaced, well this is something disliked by me as the car will require more gearshifts to keep it boiling at peak. Instead slightly tighter spaced gears till 4th and a 5th and 6th gear with overdrive and quite far spaced would have been a welcome for me(They could easily provide a six gear transmission in this car) it would have offered more fexibility of driving and definitely a better performance control in the hands of driver.

And yes, this is not the first diesel hot hatch because there had been a car in our market a couple of years back called 'GETZ CRDI'. A true road rocket it was[:)]

Top Bottom