Volkswagen Brings Diesel Hot Hatch: Polo GT TDi (Details: Pg.14)

Re: Upgraded Volkswagen Polo Coming. Possibly With 1.6 TDi?

Great news GM88,although I expect prices to be same or a little less than the GT TSI reason being that the 1.6 engine will not get any excise benefits+the 1.2TDI HL has a ex-showroom price of 7.20 lacs here in Delhi.Anyways looks like the hot hatch segment is finally getting some heat,as you said it will be a hoot to drive![evil]
Yes the 1.6 engine won't get the tax benefit, but VW just can't price it over the GT TSI which seems to be the flagship model across the Polo range. My source said the GTD will be priced either on par or just a few thousands(Rs.10-15,000) lower than the GT TSI. And launch is surely in a week's time. He seemed very confident about 14th September as the launch date. My guess is even the 1.6 GTD will have a Rs 7.99 Lacs ex-showroom price tag.

The pricing,even if on par with the GT TSI will make the GT TDI a great buy. I've owned a Polo for 1.5 years and except the engine and cramped rear, I had no complaints whatsoever. Its a more complete package with added features and the brilliant 1.6TDI. The true Getz CRDi replacement. Looking at this car's launch,may even cancel the Ecosport and go for this if they get the pricing right.
Yes I agree with you. Even speculating it to be priced on par with GT TSI at 7.99Lacs ex-showroom, though pricey for a hatch, it will surely lure a few enthusiasts. A diesel hot hatch is the need of the hour I feel like the sudden trend for Compact SUV's and this might just be it. Though would have loved to see if VW had launched this 1.6 engine in a Comfortline variant too and priced it on par with the 1.2TDI Highline. Wishful thinking.[:)]

Yes the 1.6 engine won't get the tax benefit, but VW just can't price it over the GT TSI which seems to be the flagship model across the Polo range. My source said the GTD will be priced either on par or just a few thousands(Rs.10-15,000) lower than the GT TSI.
Any idea(from your source) if the Polo 1.6 Tdi will have ESP like with the GT TSI ?

I don't know about ESP, but here is one strange thing. Even before the launch, a member of VW Polo India owners club has got the delivery of the 1.6 GT TDI. According to him the official launch is on 11th September and the ex-showroom price in New delhi is Rs. 8.03Lacs. How is it possible for a dealership to sell a car even before its launch?[confused] But people are claiming that display vehicles have reached dealerships, will check at VW Chandigarh showroom tomorrow myself.

Here is the link,check the comments section please -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201592792235135&set=gm.665558863463507&type=1&theater

I'm getting excited but I don't think my dad would anyway go for another polo if at all he wishes to sell the current one. GC is a issue for us! [cry]

Polo GT TDi finally came to our shores.I had seen the pics in FB VW Polo India group page.But,we could have waited for GT TDi instead of getting a Vento TDi.But,no news on launch made us to go for Vento Diesel.It would be our Innova's replacement by the end of 2013.

Guys this is a great news
GT TDI has been launched by VW and will available in VW Showrooms this week will update onroad price tommorow
though price will placed near GT TSI
Source : VW NOIDA and GHAZIABaD

Last edited:

The Pune pricing is just 4k more than the GT TSI. I think this is brilliant pricing and should reflect in the sales as well

The Pune pricing is just 4k more than the GT TSI. I think this is brilliant pricing and should reflect in the sales as well
Peoples who were willing to buy GT TSI will go ahead with GTD AFAIK
it will surely hit Vento HL TDI sales

Why can't Volkswagen plonk in the DSG in GTD?Can't the gearbox handle the torque or something?
No. The DQ 200 in the GT TSI can only handle a maximum of 250nm of torque. The 1.6 TDI makes 105PS and 250nm of torque

Peoples who were willing to buy GT TSI will go ahead with GTD AFAIK
it will surely hit Vento HL TDI sales
I don' think many will shift. GT TSI is mainly bought by petrolheads and the combination of petrol turbo+DSG will be more FTD than just the manual. Also it gives you more bang for the buck in the form of ESP,Hill hold,DSG etc

Last edited:

Why can't Volkswagen plonk in the DSG in GTD?Can't the gearbox handle the torque or something?
No. The DQ 200 in the GT TSI can only handle a maximum of 250nm of torque. The 1.6 TDI makes 105PS and 250nm of torque
Actually, the Golf Mk 7 is sold in UK with 1.6 TDI and 7 speed DSG with 105 ps and 250 Nm.

Overview : Engines : Which model : Golf : New : Volkswagen UK

golf-mk7.jpg

I think the real reason is pricing and positioning:

1. In India, main motivation for buying diesel car is fuel economy. The auto-transmission will hit fuel economy to some degree (at least perceived so).
2. With DSG, the on road price may well cross 10lakh - few people in India like to pay that much for a hatch.

Actually, the Golf Mk 7 is sold in UK with 1.6 TDI and 7 speed DSG with 105 ps and 250 Nm.
Not really, please read the torque figures quoted in this link

Overview : Engines : Which model : Golf : New : Volkswagen UK

It been de-tuned to 175nm for the DSG version. I agree with all else in your post though.

The 7 speed DSG (DQ 200) is limited by its torque handling ability.

Re: First Drive: Ford EcoSport Test Drive Review

Hello guys
I just spoke to SA - volkswagen(Bangalore)
According him VW is launching, (Polo 1.6 tdi) in next 10 days
, Bookings are already open, 50,000 minimum booking amount and cancelation fee 2000/-, no doubt it's an hot hatch :-)
Source : Volkswagen To Launch Polo GT TDI On 13th September 2013 | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
Bye bye ecosport
the big daddy of hatchbacks will be launched in 2014- fiat punto abarth . and new polo will be launched next year [evil]

Re: First Drive: Ford EcoSport Test Drive Review

Hello guys
I just spoke to SA - volkswagen(Bangalore)
According him VW is launching, (Polo 1.6 tdi) in next 10 days
, Bookings are already open, 50,000 minimum booking amount and cancelation fee 2000/-, no doubt it's an hot hatch :-)
Source : Volkswagen To Launch Polo GT TDI On 13th September 2013 | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
Bye bye ecosport
Seems you were not in need of an urban SUV ..[;)] BTW polo is good hatch

Top Bottom