Volkswagen Brings Diesel Hot Hatch: Polo GT TDi (Details: Pg.14)

Re: Upgraded Volkswagen Polo Coming. Possibly with 1.6 TDi?

Polo GT TSI MT (Probable)
Hope this comes out to be true,I am longing to buy the TSI with a manual option.

GM88,I think VW will simply plonk the Vento's 1.6 diesel engine into the polo and it will be priced around 1 lac more than the 1.2TDI.

Last edited:

The polo facelift will get:

Steering mounted audio controls
New Music system
Bluetooth
And other minor changes.

Source: Motorbeam
Apart from a little bit changes in the interior , i don't see any cosmetic changes on the car ....dont know whats under the hood though ...

If the Polo with the 1.6 TDI is released anytime this year, I will be in line to get it. It will make for one hell of a hot hatch.

Yesterday surfing the net somewhere read that people have spotted the Polo GTi TDi in India and the price is expected to be around 9L and are suspecting to get 1.6 TDi engine. Also VW is working on a 1.5 TDi for the line up in India to enjoy tax benifits. Dont have the source link but this was what I have read.

A spotting of the GT TDI polo-
Volkswagen Polo GT TDI Mated To 7-Speed DSG Box | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

They mention that it comes with a 7 speed DSG[shock] but frankly I completely disagree with them.
Also, it is supposedly detuned and to top it all, a 10.5l OTR price? Seriously? VW can prevent a disaster by not launching the car if what MB has said is true. I take back my words from what I posted a couple of posts back (that I would be in line to get it).

I just don't understand how the Polo 1.6TDI can be so expensive. I'd rather buy a Vento for that kind of money.

Also, it is supposedly detuned and to top it all, a 10.5l OTR price? Seriously? VW can prevent a disaster by not launching the car if what MB has said is true. I take back my words from what I posted a couple of posts back (that I would be in line to get it).

I just don't understand how the Polo 1.6TDI can be so expensive. I'd rather buy a Vento for that kind of money.
I don't think they'll launch it for that price. If they do, then its a RIP for GT TDI.

Spied- The VW Polo GT TDI is the hot diesel hatch you have been waiting for.

VW Polo GT TDI has now come in diesel. The VW Polo GT TDI was recently spied somewhere near it’s Chakan factory. VW India needs to rely on such model or variant extensions of their existing cars to remain competitive in India. Mr. Arvind Saxena, MD of VW India, told India Autos Blog that he had no intentions of launching all new cars, at least in 2013.

The Polo GT TDI will be the go-faster version of the Polo TDI diesel and the sibling to the Polo GT TSI which was launched in April. This spyshot clearly shows the ‘GT’ and the ‘TDI’ badge on the bootlid.

What is expected to power the GT TDI? We don’t know that yet. While it is being speculated that the GT TDI will be powered by the 1.6-liter diesel engine from the VW Vento, doing so would instantly remove this Polo variant from the ‘Small Car’ category (a diesel engine needs to be 1.5-liters or smaller for the small car excise benefits).

We hear that VW is working on its 1.6-liter diesel engine to reduce the stroke length and try to bring the overall displacement to 1.5-liters. By doing so, the GT TDI need not worry about the additional taxes it would otherwise face. But will VW use it on the GT TDI?

Another unknown is the transmission. Would VW India use the 7-speed DSG automatic also found in the GT TSI, or would they resort to a manual gearbox? If the GT TDI turns out to be an automatic, VW would enter a segment that hasn’t been explored till now: An automatic diesel hatchback.

Currently, the cheapest auto-diesel you can buy in India is the Hyundai Verna/Mahindra Scorpio, which are priced at about INR 12-13 lakhs.

VW Polo GT TDI caught testing in India

Last edited:

SPIED: Hot Hatch Polo GT TDI to Come With 1.5L Diesel Engine & Manual Gearbox

After being caught around a few times, upcoming VW Polo GT TDI has now been spotted with a Manual Transmission. There have been a few rumors about it being equipped with a DSG Automatic Transmission and they all go quashed! Chances of Volkswagen offering the GT TDI with an Automatic Variant as well are probably next to negligible.

We have been very active in bringing you all the details and spyshots of the upcoming models from German Giant VW. Volkswagen is looking to leverage their existing models Polo and Vento by introducing newer variants. The first one from under the Polo umbrella was the Polo GT TSI with a peppy turbocharged petrol mill. The upcoming Polo GT TDI is its diesel sibling and will definitely be a cracker-of-a-car.

Thanks to “tushky“, a ******* member, who has shared a couple of spyshots of the new Polo GT TDI with covered ‘GT’ badge. However, this same car was flaunting the ‘GT’ badge when it was caught earlier. The TDI badging, manual shifter as well as the black interiors can be clearly seen. It is clad in exteriors similar to the Polo GT TSI as we know.

However, the car is more than just what meets the eye. It was all expected to carry Vento’s 1.6L diesel mill which will have ensured it gets called as a ‘Medium sized’ car in our excise duty context. This means a slap of a double excise duty. But according to Autocar India Editor, Hormazd Sorabjee it will be a 1.5L diesel motor that will propel the new hot diesel Polo.

Like Polo GT TSI’s 1.2L turbocharged petrol engine, this 1.5L diesel engine will also make its debut in India under the upcoming Polo GT TDI. Currently, we are not sure about its specs but it will be fun for sure, possibly better than Vento!

How will Volkswagen better their Polo GT against the likes of Toyota Etios Liva TRD Sportivo, Punto 90HP and others, remains to be seen. And with the 1.5L it has also become apparent that Volkswagen will be able to price it competitively since it will attract the least 12% excise duty like other hatchbacks.

We expected Volkswagen to bring the Polo GT TDI (or Cross Polo) sometime close to the festive period, however, Hormazd says, it will come to us only (early) next year in 2014.

So, will the ‘under test’ Cross Polo also get the same 1.5L TDI Motor?

Pics can be seen on this

Polo GT TDI to Come With 1.5L Diesel Engine & Manual Gearbox | MotorBash.com

Ok this thread has been dead for a while. I have got good news regarding the launch of Polo 1.6TDI. Was having a chat with the Sales guy who sold me the Polo last year and happen to know that Volkswagen is launching 1.6TDI Polo in September third or fourth week. Mostly the tentative day of launch as of now is 14th September and he said it will be an absolute driver's delight. He said every dealership will be getting very limited stock of this variant but had no clue on the price front officially but estimated to be around 7.7-8Lacs ex-showroom. Officially the first diesel hot hatch in our country. Hope it does well in the market and propels other manufacturers to get more powerful diesel hatches to our shore.

Last edited:

Ok this thread has been dead for a while. I have got good news regarding the launch of Polo 1.6TDI. Was having a chat with the Sales guy who sold me the Polo last year and happen to know that Volkswagen is launching 1.6TDI Polo in September third or fourth week. Mostly the tentative day of launch as of now is 14th September and he said it will be an absolute driver's delight. He said every dealership will be getting very limited stock of this variant but had no clue on the price front officially but estimated to be around 7.7-8Lacs ex-showroom. Officially the first diesel hot hatch in our country. Hope it does well in the market and propels other manufacturers to get more powerful diesel hatches to our shore.
7-7.8 lacs only? Seriously? I would rather wait till the launch than believing it. [surprise]

Ohh this is a good news. Pricing of 7-8 lacs would be just great.
Is it also coming with DSG transmission? Did that guy tell you anything about it?

Pricing wise he was just speculating as written above. Nothing confirmed from his end. 1.6TDI is coming with Manual Transmission and therefore I am guessing it will undercut the GT TSI which comes with the expensive DSG gearbox. Should be atleast Rs.20-25000 cheaper than the GT-TSI in my opinion. I am just waiting to get a test drive of this 1.6 TDI. Should be an absolute cracker to drive.

Great news GM88,although I expect prices to be same or a little less than the GT TSI reason being that the 1.6 engine will not get any excise benefits+the 1.2TDI HL has a ex-showroom price of 7.20 lacs here in Delhi.Anyways looks like the hot hatch segment is finally getting some heat,as you said it will be a hoot to drive![evil]

The pricing,even if on par with the GT TSI will make the GT TDI a great buy. I've owned a Polo for 1.5 years and except the engine and cramped rear, I had no complaints whatsoever. Its a more complete package with added features and the brilliant 1.6TDI. The true Getz CRDi replacement. Looking at this car's launch,may even cancel the Ecosport and go for this if they get the pricing right.

Top Bottom