Views on Manufacturer Authorized Upgrades & Customizations

Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,

I wanted to share some thinking of mine with all fellow car owners. I am a proud owner of ignis, yet to be delivered and could afford only Delta AMT Version which was most suited to my requirement. As i am a new learner driver the reverse parking camera and sensor is a very useful feature for me. Also since i will be the only one who will be using the Vehicle, and hardly people joining me in ride, I have not thought of adding seat covers. The company fitted seats are fine enough. Also being first car for me I would like to first use the car, concentrate on driving it well and understanding the engine and basic features of car. Once i drive it well for 2-3 months then i can look at adding any other accessories. I have even told my NEXA SA that I will take EW after 2-3 months since, i dont have funds now, and he has agreed to it. Mine is self financed car. Regarding accessories i had a detailed discussion with my SA at Nexa, i told him that i wanted to fix the rear view camera with sensor which is just like in the Alpha Variant as for TD all showrooms have top end variants, and the rear view camera with sensor was helpful because during the TD we had a standing dog right behind our car, and i could see how it saw the car and then moved away. So the first option offered by dealer was fixing a rear view camera with a screen at cost of Rs.12500/- which is totally an inflated amount. However let us leave the price point of this modification aside for some time. I told the dealer that i want a solution within the existing music sytem itself and there is no point in adding extra screens on dashboard, so i am ready to pay for the music system of Alpha variant and need an UPGRADE of MUSIC SYSTEM in my Delta. Now i dont think Indian companies do have options of upgrade wherein you just pay a Premium price and get your Car accessory swapped for a higher end variant one. On this he offered me a JVC Music System JVC KW 21 BT at cost of 25000/- (Without speakers, only music system + camera) and if i wanted sensors I have to spend 4000 extra so total of Rs.30000/- for the new music system. Now the problem is even if I have 30000/- which is super super costly and i am not going to spend it on them, but assuming even if i have the 30000 to waste i wont get the rear view camera at the place where the original Alpha variant camera is there. The original alpha variant camera is right above number plate and is hidden by a slight wedge which you hold on and release the boot lid lock, and is not seen from outside, and more safe from rain water and mud, but this JVC camera will be fitted on back bumper and will be visible to everyone and prone to getting dirty by rain, mud, exposed to sun etc, and also can be fiddled by kids. So even if someone wants to pay Rs.30000/- they wont get a clean job as the alpha variant. I told my SA that what is the use of me spending 30000/- on authorized product and still not getting a proper finish and end up with a music system (the original music system of Delta) which i never ever used. Because the SA told that they dont buyback the music system which came with the car, and i asked him i havent even taken delivery and used the music system also, why cant maruti arrange such upgrades and see if any sigma variant customer wants to add music system they can add a normal delta one for Rs.xxx extra or an Alpha one at Rs.xxx extra. Because the wiring and connectors and wiring provision is same for all models / variants of ignis or any other car, and all components are just plug and play. Also had discussion with the SA that when some customers upgrade to alloy wheels some outside shops take the steel rim by weight or just return back to customer, now unless the customer can sell the steel rims he just keeps it at his home until it is sold or thrown away. I know some of you may be tired till this point itself but i have something more to write on. IF company gives this choices to customers while booking itself customers can customise their vehicle and pay for upgrade on features which they need. And i am only talking about features which can be easily added / removed.

So to get a reverse parking camera installed on my ignis I have to do following:

1) Install the extra screen on dashboard, from Nexa and the bumper mounted rear camera at 12500/-
2) Install from outer market extra screen on dashboard and bumper mounter or boot door mounted camera at 3000-5000/-
3) Install from after market the touchscreen system with a boot door mounted rear camera at 10000-12000/-

In this if the after market shop is not having a curved rear view camera which can be mounted on boot door i have to buy one from aliexpress and give it to him. Costs only 1000rs but will avoid the drilling to be done on back bumper and fix well in the slot provided in the ignis door.

Podofo Car Rear View Camera Metal body Car Rearview Camera Car Park Monitor 170 Degree Mini Car Parking Reverse Backup Camera-in Vehicle Camera from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

This is just a sample if we spend more around 2000/- we can even get night vision camera for rear backing, usually rear light should be enough and this camera should do the job.

But in all the aftermarket installation that i do maruti may complain about warranty, for the electrical part. Also even if install aftermarket products i will be left with unused music system which no one will buy or it will be sold at very cheap prices. So on getting the views of members here i am thinking can i write to maruti and ask them to provide such customisations or upgrades to customers at any point of time. Since major accessories are plug and play , upgrades can also be done for halogen to projector lamp, if someone wishes. Like diff people have diff needs someone may not need a reverse camera but may need a good headlight, for them it will be useful if the upgrade can be provided by maruti at reasonable price, rather than customer just buying from nexa or market and also just keeping the old headlight system at home for decoration

Do tell how was this article and what are you options on company offered upgrades / customizations. have you done anything or planned any modification or done it. Because when maruti manufactures or orders music systems for its cars it doesnt order exactly the same no of music system as the no of cars manufactured.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
If you want only a Reverse parking camera, then you can get one which can be fixed on the IRVM (no dashboard mounting etc). I have fixed one (iCAM) which also have a dash cam which records from front and rear camera's (I fixed this one from Tata dealer as I too was worried about warranty problem if I fix something from outside guys).

Recently, I have seen below product from Amazon which seems good but may be shade costly (besides reverse parking feature, this has got dashcam/GPS etc).:

Link

Congratulations in advance for your new car

As i am a new learner driver the reverse parking camera and sensor is a very useful feature for me.
Its very essential and must have feature in a car,helps a lot.
There are lot of budget options from well known brands available in the market where you get the complete Audio Video music system with rear cameras.
Fittings from after market will not void the company warranty, just make sure the installer is not cutting any of the wires(which they dont do nowadays)

Also since i will be the only one who will be using the Vehicle, and hardly people joining me in ride, I have not thought of adding seat covers. The company fitted seats are fine enough.
I would suggest you search the after market for the seats, i think its better to fit more comfortable seat covers then spoiling the original seat-covers.

I have even told my NEXA SA that I will take EW after 2-3 months since, i dont have funds now, and he has agreed to it.
Not a right decision,dont do it.
Please take a loan or arrange the funds for Extended Warranty right from the 1st KM.

IF company gives this choices to customers while booking itself customers can customise their vehicle and pay for upgrade on features which they need. And i am only talking about features which can be easily added / removed.
The ACCESSORIES department add a big percentage of the profit to the dealer, where the margins are high and customers scared by the "Warranty Void" trick.

Thread Starter #4
I would suggest you search the after market for the seats, i think its better to fit more comfortable seat covers then spoiling the original seat-covers.

Not a right decision,dont do it.
Please take a loan or arrange the funds for Extended Warranty right from the 1st KM.
Thanks

I will tell my SA to arrange for Extended Warranty and pay the charges.

Even authorised Maruti Seats are also good they cost between 5-6K and aftermarket seats costs 4-5K. There is a big offer of seat cover and floor mats in my city from aftermarket shops for 5K they are giving seat covers for hatchback cars so not much difference between original maruti seats and aftermarket.

But first instead of just cluttering my Car with accessories, i want to first just feel the Car and its engine in original form and learn driving. Once i become expert i will look at the following addons:

1.Music System upgrade (Touchscreen with Reverse Camera)
2.Dashcam
3.Seat Covers
4.Door Cladding and Bumper Protectors
5.Front armrest which will be fixed directly to the bottle holder.

This is what is planned as of now. I plan to add each accessory based on need

Top Bottom