VFM : Alloy Wheels vs Wheel Covers?

Which is Value For Money?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

lxi.

Suspended
Hi TAI'ns! I have an Alto LXi with the stock tyres and wheels.
Regarding the tyres, I won't change them now as they are in a Decent condition. I am bored with the odd looking Wheels in my car. So, Thinking of adding Alloy Wheels to it. But, due to the budget constraint, I am tilted towards wheel covers. Today, I saw an EECO with beautiful 9-10 spoke wheel covers which looked like alloys to the casual observer.
Asked my friend about it, He said- Wheel covers are better than alloy wheels as they can be changed when you are bored with the looks in no time and are cheap also!

So, guys please help me, [confused] Should i go for alloys (After MAy only, Because of Vitamin M) or Wheel covers (Maybe today![;)])?

Please help!

Wheel covers can never replace the beauty of Alloys, having said that, they are an inexpensive way of giving some style to your wheels. If you are short on money and you have not caught the bug of alloys really hard, you can stay away from them.
Money saved can be used in other useful purposes like performance enhancement or ICE [:)]

If' looks ' is the only concern, then go for wheel caps, if budget is the concern then hub caps are also available.

Alloy wheels can not be compared with plastic, fibre things.

Alloy wheels give you increased FE, improved ride comfort, lesser freedom to replace them if you get bored with looks.

cost difference between caps & alloys is almost 10 times .

So I prefer not to vote.

Thread Starter #4

lxi.

Suspended
Hehe, Thanks for the reply guys. I am also thinking of getting wheel covers. I saw a nice 9-10 spoke design which looked almost the same as alloys to the casual observer as it had minimal space toshow the Wheel.
@Tornado- Buddy, I already have the hubcaps with me (Aftermarket), got them Rs.200 for 4.

One question to the gurus-
Do i need to get my wheels painted black for the Wheel covers. What would be the cost for that in a local shop? Can i do it as a DIY?

FINAL DECISION- NO alloy wheels, In 10000Rs, I will get approx 10 wheel covers. I can change the wheel covers whenever i get bored of the looks. Also, What would be the cost of Nice genuine quality wheel covers?

One question to the gurus-
Do i need to get my wheels painted black for the Wheel covers. What would be the cost for that in a local shop?
It's better to paint the wheels to black color and then put the wheel covers which is of spoke type.

Can i do it as a DIY?
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...heel-colour-change-proper-cheap-solution.html

FINAL DECISION- NO alloy wheels, In 10000Rs, I will get approx 10 wheel covers. I can change the wheel covers whenever i get bored of the looks. Also, What would be the cost of Nice genuine quality wheel covers?
Be aware wheel covers tend to pop out from the tyre when you take it to the bad road conditions. The good wheel covers may cost you around 700-900.And don't forget to secure it with a tag, that will help from wheel covers coming out.

BTW the polling isn't necessary dude,because the price gap is very huge between Alloys and wheel covers(100s-1000s!)[;)]

Thread Starter #6

lxi.

Suspended
Thanks for the link Vishwas!
I am ready to spend max. 2000 Rs. for wheel covers.
But, I want to get it done at some paint shop. I am not good at working! To be true, I am Lazy!
Can you give me some Wheel cove pics so that I can do a PS job!

Buddy, I have an Automobile Paint (No spray type, Just a can which we get in paint shops), It is getting waste and is of High glossy black finish(Of black cars!). Can I use it to paint the Wheels (Only Whereever the silver colour is visible)? What thing should I use to do so?

Thanks.

Thanks for the link Vishwas!
I am ready to spend max. 2000 Rs. for wheel covers.
But, I want to get it done at some paint shop. I am not good at working! To be true, I am Lazy!
Can you give me some Wheel cove pics so that I can do a PS job!
Google it buddy you will find pool of wheel caps.

Buddy, I have an Automobile Paint (No spray type, Just a can which we get in paint shops), It is getting waste and is of High glossy black finish(Of black cars!). Can I use it to paint the Wheels (Only Whereever the silver colour is visible)? What thing should I use to do so?
Thanks.
I don't have any idea regarding this,post your query in the DIY thread which i had posted earlier someone might help you.

It wont be fair to compare Alloys with wheel caps. The appearance of alloys is incomparable.
And even if you wish to go for wheel caps, first blacken your rims and then put on the caps.

Alloys and wheel caps are incomparable. Alloys are not only for better looks it also has some utilities. IMO do not paint the rims only the visible parts. Try to paint the inside as well as tyre portion because it will benefit you in future. It prevents rusting of the rims .

Heay Lxi,
what did you finally do? Let us know, i am looking to do something similar but not sure what to go for, Alloys or wheel covers, the same issue M factor:)
please post some pics.
Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alloy wheels are value for money too *

having said that , they should be a good branded ones.

Dished wheels you can easily resale again. Say you bought them for 2500dollars, you can get about 1500 when you wana sell it
They do enhance the stability of the car. ( in my case yes it makes sense)

350Z

Core Team
There is a considerable difference between both. So they really cannot be compared. The wheel covers serve no more purpose than to beautify the looks of the car in a strictly limited budget. However, alloy wheels doesn’t only look better than wheel covers but being lighter in weight than steel rims, it also has own certain advantages.
Be aware wheel covers tend to pop out from the tyre when you take it to the bad road conditions. The good wheel covers may cost you around 700-900.And don't forget to secure it with a tag, that will help from wheel covers coming out.
There are a few designs which can be secured from the middle of the wheel (Hubs). I find them much better than clip-on types.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Fazer

Suspended
My friend is using Clip-on types in his Alto (New Swift's wheel cover design) and has no problem (Breaking, Falling off) with them.
I went with him for purchasing Wheel Covers for his ride, The price qouted was (Aftermarket local ones) Rs.400 for 4 (only Silver Coloured) and Rs.600(Silver + Black coloured). He got Silver with Black lip for Rs.550 after negotiation.

I think ,good quality Wheel covers are better, if considered for VFM, as you can change them atleast 15-20 times (at the price for which you get the alloys.) instead of geting single type of alloy and getting bored with it after some time. I mean, for Alto, 20 wheel cover set = 600X20 = 12000 = One set of Alloy Wheels.[:)]

Fazer

Suspended
Wheel cap won't affect mileage, I think (Correct me if I'm wrong).
Alloy wheels would affect mileage, don't know whether they will increase or decrease the same :lol!:

Manjoo, Sorry, But I didn't get your statement. Please elaborate.

Top Bottom