Vespa Select Awaits Restoration

Restoration is done to get the vehicle in its original form/state. You may have some alteration in it if you like.

For your LML VESPA SELECT, you may think of

- Paint job
- Tyre change
- changing headlamp, tail lamp and side light assembly
- engine repair and tuning
- wiring repair
- seat cover changing

although above mentioned may or may not require in your case, but still I have added a checklist.
It is upto you that how much you would like to spend money on restoration.

Scooter restoration is some hard find now-a-days. Congrats on your purchase and all the very best for the restoration. Hopping to see a "just out of showroom" Vespa soon.

Do you mind sharing more details about the scooter? (Model, price, mileage, etc)

Coming to the restoration part, what do you wish to do,
- Complete restoration (stripe down tinkering & painting, engine rebuild, new electricals etc)
- Partial rebuild (Painting + cosmetic parts change + engine repairing)
- Cosmetic upgrade (Painting + cosmetics change)
- Out-of box modifications (???)

Couple of my RX restoration may give some idea. DO let me know if you need help in finding painter / mechanic.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/two-wheels/16262-1998-yamaha-rx135-restoration-completed.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/15403-got-another-rx-yamaha-rxg-restoration.html

Thread Starter #4
thanks for the lovely response. Adds to my inspiration. To start with ..I know nothing mechanical :) but i love retro auto :). Have driven 2mil plus kms on road ..
This vespa was bought for 5k ...i think its a steal. may be im wrong. Pumped fuel and driven to my place which is 30km away. So i guess its mechanically sound .
restoration is sometihng that make it look nicely working not necessarily shiny shiny...coz i prefer to show its elegance an of 30+ year reliabillity. -Partial rebuild (Painting + cosmetic parts change + engine repairing)

i prefer to show its elegance an of 30+ year reliabillity. -Partial rebuild (Painting + cosmetic parts change + engine repairing)
- Painting should cost around 5~8k (taking reference of a known painter's previous project, Lambretta restoration with dual tone painting a couple of years back)
- If the engine is mechanically perfect without any abnormal noise / oil leakage, leave it as it is (may be Clutch plates need replacement)
- How about the condition of electricals?
- Cosmetic parts (lamps, monograms, RVMs, seat cover) should cost around 2k
- From the snaps I couldn't judge the condition of Tyres. Replacement (if required) should cost 3k

smvijayan congrats on your new acquisition. i feel we are in the same boat. i too bought a second hand lml vespa a couple of years back & have just started its restoration. my vehicle is with the tinkerer now. here is the link to the thread i have started on my scooter
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ml-vespa.html?highlight=bought+hand+lml+vespa
i see that you own a bolero. i too own a bolero storm vlx.

Last edited:
scooters has a charm of of its own its quiet difficult to see scooters on road now other than gearless types. me used to ride a bajaj chetak durig my college days when other students used to come in bikes . that time only lml and the bajaj's were famous . congrats to have bought a lml
vespa .enjoy the ride

Thread Starter #10
my dad had a cub and i had a chetak for few months...cant forget those lovely rides :) an my motivation for an upgrade but stuck with those era..:)

@ Mr.Boss.. the scotter is in thiruninravur..(chennai suburbs)...you know someone in chennai ? plenty of mechanics out there...but last year i had a bad experience while trying to restore my wife's 10 yr+ sleeping Kinetic Marvel...its still a marvellous ride ...i bring her back to life once in a year...later ill post some pics..of it.

Thread Starter #11
@smooth rider : yours is a lovely ride. I envy it. If there is one another...im upto it to buy it :) i saw all your pics and saved them as well :)). love to see them on road to bring back the old world charm.

HI Vijayan
Did you take up the restoration ? Attaching few of my LML SUpremo pictures to inspire you.
I bought this in Mysore & did the restoration myself retaining original paint & parts.
It has lot of features like Auto start, speed control, break light indicator, & extremely fun to drive.

Ananth

Attachments

Hey Everybody [:)]!
Saw this thread and could not resist the Idea of restoring my Father's Bajaj Chetak (1998 model I guess). I work in Singapore and the scooter's in Chennai at my parents place. I really need some reliable references on the mechanics back in Chennai to bring it back into shape. Its not run in a year though its last run was smooth[:D]. I really want a makeover look for it
Thanks in advance

Top Bottom