Vehicle "Sunset" Policy in India

Thread Starter #1
Government working on norms to cancel registration of a vehicle found to be beyond repair.

2.jpg

Very soon, if the government has its way, the car you've been driving for many years could be pulled off the road when it has reached the "end of its life" — it doesn't matter how old the vehicle is.
In response to the National Green Tribunal order in April to ban diesel vehicles older than 10 years from plying in Delhi, has sought time from the Supreme Court to draft a policy to check polluting vehicles.
The government is looking for scrapyards for deregistered vehicles. "We are trying to create a zone where the scrapping and processing of vehicles can be done. These may come up at ports on the outskirts of Chennai and in the west, preferably at Kandla

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/auto/news/policy/vehicle-sunset-policy-government-working-on-norms-to-cancel-registration-of-a-vehicle-found-to-be-beyond-repair/articleshow/47127055.cms

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Vehicle ' Sunset' Policy

Government working on norms to cancel registration of a vehicle found to be beyond repair.
On what basis will govt. decide if the vehicle is beyond repair? Have they set any parameters? Or will they just cancel the vehicle's registration based on the emitting smoke from exhaust?

The clipping says, regardless of age the vehicle may be banned depending on condition. What if a 1 year old vehicle is found to be non-road worthy then? The only Silver lining I see to some extent in this regulation is that the motorists at large will be forced to keep their vehicles in well maintained condition and not neglect them.

Regards

Akash

The clipping says, regardless of age the vehicle may be banned depending on condition. What if a 1 year old vehicle is found to be non-road worthy then?
Akash
Simple, if found not road worthy = shouldn’t be driven on roads.

While formulating effective ways and means or parameters to judge the roadworthiness is the headache of the authorities, at this stage, I find this idea way more logical than banning a vehicle purely based on age.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Simple, if found not road worthy = shouldn’t be driven on roads.
Absolutely Manoj and I do favor it but before implementing a regulation there has to be a well laid out frame-work. Under what criteria will the govt. render a vehicle non-road worthy be it a 1 year old or 5 year old?

Regards

Akash

Good initiative.Atleast in India we will have some law that will stop all those crap trucks and old buses,tempos running on the roads and risking peoples lives.
Yes deciding roadworthiness is a chanllenge a combination of PUC,age of vehicle and a system to check vehicle health by RTOs for old vehicles could be the solutions.

Absolutely Manoj and I do favor it but before implementing a regulation there has to be a well laid out frame-work. Under what criteria will the govt. render a vehicle non-road worthy be it a 1 year old or 5 year old?
I hope there is some serious thought process happening prior implementation.
What I feel is that there might be some sort of periodical fitness test that even the private vehicles will have to undergo, say after 5 years of purchase/ a specific mileage like 1.5 lakh km or so.

They are better of having a watchdog to check the quality/ long-term road-worthiness of vehicles rolled out at the manufacturing level first though.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Yes deciding roadworthiness is a chanllenge a combination of PUC,age of vehicle and a system to check vehicle health by RTOs for old vehicles could be the solutions.
I hope there is some serious thought process happening prior implementation.
What I feel is that there might be some sort of periodical fitness test that even the private vehicles will have to undergo, say after 5 years of purchase/ a specific mileage like 1.5 lakh km or so.
Agreed with you and Parth. I just hope that the rule is implemented with logic and valid criteria and govt. should not bow down to these strikes and all by transporters in this case. I am saying this because, in case of recent NGT ban on old diesel vehicles, ultimately govt. had to pass a stay order which as of now has been extended upto mid May.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #8

They need to develop a world class public transport and that is the need of the hour.
That is what can reduce pollution - not these short-sighted ideas.

There will always be a motive towards such schemes - politicians and their clan to make more money.

Last edited:

Top Bottom