Vehicle Insurance: General Questions & Discussions

One of the points that folks and good websites put up when buying insurance is that
- always ensure the IDV of the vehicle is high when buying motor insurance.

I have always been following this advice. But this got me thinking. When does IDV matter? To my understanding
1. When there is a write down of car, the IDV is amount that will be given by the insurance company. In other words, if your insurance claims go beyond the IDV, the car is written off
2. IDV value matters when selling the car
(I request others to add any other benefits of high IDV)

Coming to point 2, IDV did not have any correlation with market valuation when I was trying to sell my car. My car was a low selling car and close to 8 years and this could have contributed to the selling price being less than IDV. Mind you, I tried keeping my IDV high through 8 years.

Coming to point 1, I completely agree that increased IDV is definitely a plus in this scenario.

With lower IDV, the insurance premiums are less and correct me if I am wrong, NCB (in value and not percent) for future years would also be less because the insurance premium is less. Now, since the insurance premium is less and the NCB value is also less, I would be tempted to use insurance for small damages by forgoing NCB. If the insurance premium was high, the loss of high value NCB would deter me from claiming insurance for small damages. So, having a lower premium would mean I would be tempted to use insurance.

So, this is the dilemma, should I prioritize write off value over smaller premiums.

What are your thoughts?
While I am not an underwriting guy, I do work in the legal department of insurance company, so I will try to answer by saying that higher than market value IDV may not be honoured by the insurance company in total loss settlement, and they will always try to negotiate for your accepting the market value. Though legally the IDV is the amount the company would be bound to settle the total loss claim for (less policy excess, salvage deductions etc)

In accident constructive total loss/salvage loss settlements, where repair cost exceeds 75% of the IDV, there is possibility to get some recovery value from salvage, they will identify a salvage buyer with whom you need to enter an agreement to sell the salvage and the net payment would be made to you after deducting the salvage amount.

You might be even be forced to go the legal route if you want to insist on full IDV settlement. Unless the difference between IDV and market value is so huge, it might not be worth contesting the amount. So getting the full IDV when you've insured over and above the market value will be very tough though possible, but do you really want a full-fledged dispute over the insurer for the balance amount? The time and money spent in legal proceedings might not be worth it. Note that any Insurance company will always try to minimize their loss.

I would suggest going for the normal IDV that the company offers. Paying a higher premium for a higher IDV might not necessarily result in a benefit, and that too you need to consider what are the chances that you will get a total loss. At least, even if they negotiate for market value, it may not be much less than the IDV.

Higher IDV sounds tempting, but the fact is you need to consider:
1. it is irrelevant for normal repair claims where the repair option is feasible and viable.
2. anyway insurer will always try to negotiate settlement at market value in total loss claims.
3. what are the chances of going for a total loss / salvage loss claim?'4
Finally note that anway insurance company will not give you an excessively high IDV anyway. At best you may get a variation +/-20% on the normal IDV.

Last edited:
@harishankar
Thanks for your inputs. You spoke my mind.
So, lower premium trumps higher IDV.
I have one more query. As the car gets older, is it better to move to just 3rd party insurance rather than comprehensive insurance? How will the NCB work here?

@harishankar
Thanks for your inputs. You spoke my mind.
So, lower premium trumps higher IDV.
I have one more query. As the car gets older, is it better to move to just 3rd party insurance rather than comprehensive insurance? How will the NCB work here?
NCB affects only own-damage portion of the premium. TP premium is statutorily fixed.
Also when the vehicle gets older, you need to take a call on whether you can do without insurance, as such if the market value of the vehicle is reasonable good at that point of time (i.e. anything more than 1-1.5 lakhs), I would suggest getting it insured comprehensively. It's better to pay for comprehensive cover than taking a big loss in case of accident.

if insurance has a claim from other party due to my fault, my premium go up, right?

Would there be any difference in my premium

1. If I don't claim for damages incurred to my car due to same collision.
2. If I claim for damages incurred to my car , lets say $2000.

If I take comprehensive insurance for year 1 and make no claims, I will be getting NCB (20%). Now for the second year, I take only 3rd party insurance. So, I will not be able to take the benefit of NCB. I do not make any claims in year 2 also. But for year 3, I take comprehensive insurance. Will I get a NCB of 35% for year 3?

If I take comprehensive insurance for year 1 and make no claims, I will be getting NCB (20%). Now for the second year, I take only 3rd party insurance. So, I will not be able to take the benefit of NCB. I do not make any claims in year 2 also. But for year 3, I take comprehensive insurance. Will I get a NCB of 35% for year 3?
Will check and get back. However, because NCB is only for renewal, not having comprehensive cover may be taken as break in insurance for the purpose of NCB. That means to say, I believe the NCB may be reset if you break the coverage.

if insurance has a claim from other party due to my fault, my premium go up, right?

Would there be any difference in my premium

1. If I don't claim for damages incurred to my car due to same collision.
2. If I claim for damages incurred to my car , lets say $2000.
If you make a claim for own-damage from your insurer, whether or not there's a fault or not on your part, you will lose your NCB. Naturally the premium will increase. If you don't make a claim, you will get the NCB applicable.

I believe in special cases where a particular car is very accident prone and frequent claims are incurred, underwriters will add a "loading" component to your premium which increases your premium or even refuse to insure the vehicle for own-damage cover. This may be rare though.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me a good insurance provider for maruti for cashless claims in bangalore. Buying a new baleno.
My family member suggested to go with dealer provided Maruti insurance as it would prevent the running around for claims with other providers? is that true?
The reason i am a bit apprehensive is that the premium amount is a bit higher.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi,

My family member suggested to go with dealer provided Maruti insurance as it would prevent the running around for claims with other providers? is that true?
The reason i am a bit apprehensive is that the premium amount is a bit higher.
Buddy, take quotes from 4-5 insurance companies. These days you also get online quotes etc. Policy Bazaar is there. Once you have the quotes, then ask the dealer to match their insurance premium with your's. If they agree then good if they don't then just ask them about the insurance companies with which they have cashless tie-up and then from their list choose the one you want and get the policy by yourself. The dealers often quote higher premium because there is a big commission part added in it for the agent.

Regards

Akash

Agreed. Will do.
But as you said we should also give priority to insurance providers who have tie ups with MASS garages in and around my area right. This helps in cashless claims i presume. The garage will take care of the running around if i am not wrong.

PS: Novicein all these things so asking questions as to not let the SA push me around. :)

Akash1886

Honoured Member
But as you said we should also give priority to insurance providers who have tie ups with MASS garages in and around my area right. This helps in cashless claims i presume. The garage will take care of the running around if i am not wrong.
Ya.

PS: Novice in all these things so asking questions as to not let the SA push me around. :)
No one is an expert bud. All of us learn from each other's experience and knowledge shared. Infact, sometime back even I was in same situation while booking the Tigor for myself.

Regards

Akash

I actually got my insurance from the service centre for 3 years for my Ford. I then moved on to other insurance companies after realizing the con job.
In fact, I always choose nationalized insurance for all the vehicles in my family. Even though they dont have cashless facility. Most of them have their offices near to my home and their reimbursement process is very simple. Also, their rejection rate of repairs is considerably less in my experience. On top of this, I am able to personally negotiate the IDV and premium.
I am now consciously avoiding claiming insurance for every little thing. I try 3rd party garage and workshop to get the job done. These days, all the 3rd party garages are able to source original spares (thanks to CCI I believe). The labour rates are almost same.

Poke me sometime and I will rant about everything that is wrong with car insurance :)

Hello,

I have renewed my 2014 Honda Dio insurance from online portal. Company is New India Assurance and they had sent me renewal notice few days ago, with premium of Rs. 1242.
CR_DIO_NIA_Quotation.jpg

This is the first time I have used online renew and it was pretty easy. I have been changed premium of Rs. 1064 for Rs. 28411 IDV. Time and money saved from visiting their office.[:D]
CR_DIO_NIA_Policy_Cert.jpg

Previously, Agents or employees in the office used to check the notice and recalculate the premium. Final amount would little less but not Rs. 178 less like online renew now!

For my car insurance renewal (Which is in October), first I will check online portal for quotes, then visit their office and choose whichever is low. [:)]

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I suppose so. Here is the link explaining it. The bigger question is to how to add these covers from online / without visiting their branches.

Refer to the last FAQ question.

https://www.icicilombard.com/car-insurance-info/faqs-on-hydrostatic-lock-and-insurance.html
Thanks for the link but it doesn't answer my query. Will call my insurance company and will revert back.

I don't think they will ever do online add-on since they will always inspect the vehicle before adding anything. Happened the same when i asked them to add cng on insurance.

Top Bottom