Using Hands for Signals - Does it Works?

But sometimes its not at all safe. Have seen cases where people use hand for signal & the car behind him overtakes just missing his hand!
That is a rare scenario unless the driver behind is really reckless and doesn't care about anything in the world and provided the person who signals his hand does that at right time.

That is a rare scenario unless the driver behind is really reckless and doesn't care about anything in the world and provided the person who signals his hand does that at right time.
Yes Vishwas, but in Bangalore Tempo traveller and even personal car owner never feel to slowdown even if someone is really struggling to change the lane. The best way is to never to rely on blinkers as well as hand signal but to ensure that there is safe possibility to change the lane.

Rare? I feel it as a normal scenario. People here are always in hurry thinking about themselves & in this process they even create big traffic jams.

Signals (of all kinds) are useful only if they are given ahead of time. Mostly, at least in Bangalore, the drivers suddenly slow down, steer any which way they want and finally take their hand out to give the signal. That's too late. I've slammed on my brakes already!!

I always give hand signals. But frankly I get stare from the other motorists and cars, with an inquisitiveness to know who in the hell gives a hand signal in present day driving.. bangalore is full of morons. Even in highways no one gives hand signal nowadays and trust me that causes many accidents.

All my childhood we had to travel in highway each side 15 kms, and at an approximation, I watched an accident every 2nd day. All because a proper signalling was not done

Hand signal is more effective and people really give priority to hand signal over blinkers. Hand signals are even good if you want a pedestrian to cross or your inability to slow down or stop because of rear vehicles.
Hand signals don't work when the Road has multiple lanes, in my opinion. And also when there is a long, wide vehicle in front like bus, trailer truck, etc. And also in our crazy traffic, it would be hard to take hands off the wheel and make signal, especially with AC cars.

I guess the hand signals work better, specially when you are taking a right turn. I use it for taking right turn only, when my windows are open. For left turns I use indicators.

In today's chaotic traffic conditions inside cities, it's not safe to put your hands out. Some idiot biker or even autowallah can knock out your hand and cause serious injury because they drive so close, almost graze the vehicle when overtaking on narrow lanes.

In today's chaotic traffic conditions inside cities, it's not safe to put your hands out. Some idiot biker or even autowallah can knock out your hand and cause serious injury because they drive so close, almost graze the vehicle when overtaking on narrow lanes.
+1 to this. I hate when anyone sticks limbs outside of vehicles, simply because it's unnecessary and unsafe. Not only is it a risk to other motorists (who may need to swerve in avoidance), but you're risking your own body for little/no benefit.

Simply put, three bright, flashing yellow lights are typically more effective than an arm.

Top Bottom