Used Vehicle Sale: Seller Responsible For Registration Renewal

Thread Starter #1

Nairrk

Honoured Member

Thiruvananthapuram: The motor vehicles department (MVD)offices would soon be changing to the new software ‘Vahan’ of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, for vehicle registration. As per this new change, the renewal of registration of used vehicles will be the responsibility of the seller. Presently, this is done by the buyer.

If the buyer does not change the ownership of the vehicle, then the registration remains with the previous owner. If a vehicle is not covered under insurance and if it meets with an accident or used for criminal activities, then the previous owner would be held responsible for the crime.

The previous owner will have to face action including revenue recovery, if there are any tax arrears. These problems could be resolved, if the new system is implemented.

Read:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Thiruvananthapuram: The motor vehicles department (MVD)offices would soon be changing to the new software ‘Vahan’ of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, for vehicle registration. As per this new change, the renewal of registration of used vehicles will be the responsibility of the seller. Presently, this is done by the buyer.
I feel the ownership change is helpful for both parties. Also, it relieves the seller of any issues that may occur post the sale. My dad constantly followed up with the buyer of our CITY for good 7 months and finally the transfer happened on the date I got my Nexon.

If the buyer does not change the ownership of the vehicle, then the registration remains with the previous owner. If a vehicle is not covered under insurance and if it meets with an accident or used for criminal activities, then the previous owner would be held responsible for the crime.
That's indeed the main reason for which the ownership transfer is much needed. I have sold 2 cars till now i.e one in 2017 and other in 2018. The buyer of my Esteem readily completed the formalities of transfer within 3-4 days of purchase and provided us a xerox of the new RC. The guy to whom we sold the CITY this year acted clever post purchase. He used to give lame excuses and delayed the transfer. However, me and my dad's constant push for the same made him do the transfer. To be honest, if the buyer are these road side used car purchasers its one hell of a headache to chase them but one has to be persistent in getting the job done. As far as insurance is concerned, these small time used car buyers bribe the insurance agents and get a new policy even though there is a existing valid policy already running on the sold car which is a kind of fraud and many people won't be able to understand it.

The previous owner will have to face action including revenue recovery, if there are any tax arrears.
It is still OK to get 10-20K less than expected price on the car/bike but under every circumstance, all the documentation have to be 100% clean and up to date & valid and properly verified.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Top Bottom