Used Mercedes / BMW or New Honda Civic / Tata Harrier?

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAI'ns, a new post after a longwhile. Last time with help TAI took a decision to buy Ford ecosport. Now after selling the car with 10,000kms driven, now for another hunt again.
Its a huge confusion now, please do read through and help me out with your valuable feedback. This time i'm looking to get an used Mercedes/BMW or buy a new car like Civic/Harrier.
  • Your Budget: 15 to 20L (can stretch another 1L)
  • New or Used: Any
  • Your Location: Chennai, India
  • Top 5 Priorities: Safety, Power, Comfort
  • Monthly Running: 600kms
  • Fuel Type: Any
  • Purpose Type: City and Highway drives
  • Seating Capacity: Max 5 adults
  • Segment Type: Sedan or SUV
  • Good to have: Panoramic Sunroof
I narrowed down to few of them like below,

USED:
1. Mercedes GLA or CLA (Petrol/Diesel) 2016/2017 models driven less than 30,000 kms
2. BMW 320D or 320GT 2015/2016 models driven around 50,000kms
(Uesd Skoda superb is coming expensive than above cars :) )

NEW:
1. Honda CIVIC ZX AT Petrol (Hoping some good year end discounts)
2. Tata Harrier Manual/AT (XT+ Manual for panoramic sunroof, XZA+ AT)

Note: I understand the cars in the list may confuse you in terms mixing a number of segments. But i always look comparing the cost of the car and what i get for it. I once compared XUV500 with Honda City long time ago and end up getting XUV500 W8.

Go in for the TATA Harrier Manual which quit fits your requirements and owning a Mercedes or a BMW is costly and TATA Harrier does excel in long term reliability and good after sales service.

If you like the looks of the MG Hector then take a Testdrive and go for it.

Hello TAI'ns, a new post after a longwhile. Last time with help TAI took a decision to buy Ford ecosport. Now after selling the car with 10,000kms driven, now for another hunt again.
Just 10,000kms driven and Sold!!!
If you plan to sell your car within 20k kms I would suggest you to buy a Pre-owned car.
A new car will depreciate hugely within 2years/ 20k kms.
You can get many cars fitting your budget and cars which are as good as Showroom condition.
From your chosen cars:
Merc GLA : Practical & Luxury
BMW 320d : Fun to Drive, Luxury, YOLO car
Honda Civic : Beautiful Car, little old interiors, but less Resale value, buy if you want to keep it for 5 years.
Tata Harrier : As you have chosen the top end variants its feature rich with powerful engine. Go through ownership posts on internet before deciding.
Why not substitute Harrier with Creta / Seltos.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks for your responses. I test drove Harrier but im kind of feeling it heavy and huge in size (although i had a XUV500 earlier). I didnt try MG hector yet, but i think i may feel same. Im thinking about having a zippy and powerful performance car.
Creta/Seltos - I test drove creta. I was interested in that Turbo petrol engine with 140BHP. Its having a huge list of features but interior build quality is very poor and doesnt make it like a 20 lac car. I didnt try Seltos after hearing the poor NCAP rating for such expensive car.
Now some of the used car options i have are Mech GLA, Audi Q3. Around 2017 model car driven less than 30,000 kms. Should i look for these or wait for Skoda Octavia or something else ?

Top Bottom