Used car for around Rs 2.5 lakh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the same thing when i was trying to find it. But i ended up in many fusions in chennai dude.
Also fusion resale value is not so high. I am very sure you'll find one. [;)]

Why yes! Thanks dude Marun! But the prob is there is no guarantee of us finding too many in the market, let alone our budget.

Thread Starter #17
Yes Marun, let's see.
@RSM: My grandfather has a Premier Padmini, ingress and egress of the getz might be better than the Padmini, am I right?

Factors -
1. 60 km/day + 400 km highway trip per month
2. To be driven on highways and bumpy roads of a small town.
3. Must have decent interiors and features.
4. The FE should be decent enough, service easy
5. The car will be driven by My septagenarian grandpa.
6. The car will be disposed of after 8 months, so resale value should be satisfactory.
Arkin, I would strongly suggest you to go for Wagon R from MSIL True Value, for following reasons:

1. A very easy to drive car, even inside the city.
  2. Cheap maintenance, unless you ruin it [;)]
  3. Decent FE, with A/C on.
  4. Not only your grandpa, your entire family will love the easiness to get in and out of the car (the design factor)
  5. Unless you really want to race on the highway, this is pretty decent and stable on highways (I was using this for long time). I have covered 210 KM in 3 Hrs and 10 min (Cochin - Calicut, Apartment to Home). I had tried up to 110 KM/H in my Wagon R. I should admit that it feels little bit unstable at that speed. However, the 1.2 L engine is not that bad as people portrays it. I strongly feel that your grandpa will not drive it above 90 KM/H.
  6. Very spacious and comfy, especially the rear split seat version.
  7. Your usage doesn't really require a diesel car.
  8. Excellent resale value. So you will not loose a big amount when you are exchanging it after 8 months.
  9. You have the guarantee from MSIL (I think it is for 6 months or depends upon the model).

Thread Starter #19
I had contemplated many of your factors myself and you have added many more, thanks Shynish! In fact, we TDed the K series WagonR after TDing the i20, and my father was singing praises in the name of the Waggy. He even started saying; "This car costs almost 2lk less than the i20, and yet it is so spacious, let's buy this instead". So even I feel the waggy rocks. Besides, the car will be driven at around 70 kmph on the highway everyday, and not more than 90-100kmph during the monthly 400km drive.

BTW, what do you have to say about the Getz, Shynish?

Is the opel corsa a feasible option? A fully loaded sedan/hatch for just Rs 2 lakh!
Forget about the Corsa. You will find it difficult to maintain. We can not trust on GM to supply its spare parts. Also you will burn your fingers in resale.

what do you have to say about the Getz, Shynish?
Getz is a very nice and successful car. It is roomy, good power, luxury and will be easy to maintain as well. It is very comfy too. You will get a more upmarket feel in Getz compare to the old model sof Wagon R. It has decent FE too. Resale will be decent as it is Hyundai. Only point to be noted that Getz is not more in production. Which model are you looking at ? Another thing is, since you are planning to dispose this car in another 8 to 12 months time, it will be easy to sell if it is from MSIL stable.

Thread Starter #22
2004-2005 1.3 petrol.GLS/GVS. Yeah, WagonR seems the best option. Let's wait until Sunday, when we will decide if the car has to be purchased or not.

350Z

Core Team
Friends, due to an unusual twist of events, we might require a used car for about Rs 2.5 lakh. Keeping in mind the factors, please guide.]
Factors -
1. 60 km/day + 400 km highway trip per month
2. To be driven on highways and bumpy roads of a small town.
3. Must have decent interiors and features.
4. The FE should be decent enough, service easy
5. The car will be driven mainly
a. A driver
OR
b. My septagenarian grandpa.
6. The car will be disposed of after 8 months, so resale value should be satisfactory.
In any case, the monthly use age is high and it is better to opt for a reliable diesel than a cheaper petrol model when your family will be using it at the fullest in those eight months period. I can not find any capable diesel hatchback suitable for driver as well the use by your grandfather, except Swift Diesel but it’d cost above the mentioned budget. My recommendation is to look out for a fairly well maintained second hand Hyundai Accent CRDi which has a perfect engine for highway purposes and satisfies rest of the mentioned requirements.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Getz 1.3 produces 83 bhp of power, which is really impressive. It will give you 12 to 16 Km/L depending on your usage. This figure is really decent and in par with its rivals.

Thread Starter #25
In any case, the monthly use age is high and it is better to opt for a reliable diesel than a cheaper petrol model when your family will be using it at the fullest in those eight months period.
I shall do the calculation, tell my father, and maybe he'll increase our budget, if required.
Getz 1.3 produces 83 bhp of power, which is really impressive. It will give you 12 to 16 Km/L depending on your usage. This figure is really decent and in par with its rivals.
The getz too seems to be a feasible option then, if we opt for a petrol.
EDIT: Is then Ikon 1.8 a good option, 350Z?
-----------Next Post-----------
I just browsed through some online classifieds, and found that there are 2003, 2004 accent CRDis for Rs 3 - 3.5 lk. Especially if there are savings on fuel costs, I don't think dad will mind upping the budget by a paltry amount of Rs 50- 70k.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
EDIT: Is then Ikon 1.8 a good option, 350Z?
Yes, Ford ikon 1.8 is sure one enthusiastic car (Now rare too!) but personally speaking, I’d would not prefer mainly because you'd get a too old model (= even Poor re-sale) and I'm not aware about its fuel economy, maintenance costs and other factors. Apart from this, it looks dated in comparison to Accent.

I just browsed through some online classifieds, and found that there are 2003, 2004 accent CRDis for Rs 3 - 3.5 lk. Especially if there are savings on fuel costs, I don't think dad will mind upping the budget by a paltry amount of Rs 50- 70k.
The Accent seems to be the most suitable model, It should return mileage of above 11 - 12 KPL.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #27
Thanks. Now I can keep in mind WagonR vs. Getz. vs. Accent CRDi. (The 3rd will win, if calculations say that a diesel makes more sense). Let's wait until Saturday, when the decision will probably be take.

If you can spend up to 3.5 lks, why are you going for an used one ?! You can go for a brand new:

1. Maruti Suzuki Wagon R 1.0
  2. Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo
  3. Maruti Suzuki Alto
  4. Chevrolet Spark
  5. Tata Indica V2 Xeta
  6. Hyundai Santro Xing

Some of these may exceed 3.5 lks on road Karanataka. Just do a study on this too.

Thumb Rule: A brand new car is always hassle free!

Thread Starter #29
If you can spend up to 3.5 lks, why are you going for an used one ?! You can go for a brand new:

1. Maruti Suzuki Wagon R 1.0
  2. Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo
  3. Maruti Suzuki Alto
  4. Chevrolet Spark
  5. Tata Indica V2 Xeta
  6. Hyundai Santro Xing

Some of these may exceed 3.5 lks on road Karanataka. Just do a study on this too.

Thumb Rule: A brand new car is always hassle free!
WagonR 1.0 - Unstable on highways with body roll.+Exceeds Budget
Estilo - Exceeds Budget
Alto - I'd use my Maruti instead, for want of a larger car.
Spark - Fits budget, but will have to stretch more.
Indica - I've already had 4 Indicas and 3 Indigos, how many more? [frustration]
Xing - Bumpy Ride
Besides, all these have just AC. I was thinking of a car with Fr. Pwr Windows, C.Locking and AC at least.
Note: Prices mentioned are upto Rs 3.5 lakh, but after selecting the cars/haggling, we will spend probably just Rs 3.25 lakh on a CRDi.

My preliminary calculations say that we might have to use the car for 15000-18000km. Not more than What mileage should-
1. A WagonR
2. A Getz
3. A CRDi
have run In order to ensure hassle free sale later, and how much will the resale drop, considering that we are the kind who maintain vehicles with care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom