Used car for around Rs 2.5 lakh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a tough call. MSIL backs its used car market with Maruti True Value and Hyundai does this with Hyundai Advantage. So the resale market for these two models will be pretty strong.

Quite certainly the Hyundai Accent will have better re-sale value.
Considering the CRDi factor, I second this.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #33
An important update: My grandfather will buy the car from us after we are done with it!
He too feels the WagonR and Accent are the most viable options.
Just one doubt: Is their a risk of the CRDi giving us problems?

Thread Starter #35
I was just asking. :stupid: I mildly recall reading about a few CRDis with some problems online. Thanks everyone, I shall be discussing in detail with my family tomorrow. It is better for us the decide which model to search for in advance if we decide to buy the car, because we will have just a week to buy the car.

So have you decided its going to be the CRDi? Be it Getz , Accent or WagonR the maintenance of all these wont be a problem and all these cars are fairly fuel efficient. And since its going to be sold pretty soon i would cut-off Getz from the list as its getting phased out and so re-sale value will get affected! If you want diesel go for Accent , WagonR for petrol.

I would still recommend WagonR as it being a Maruti will have better re-sale value and hassle free ownership even in the short span you are going to own it.

Oh those! I too read some of those including the experience of a brand new i20 CRDi. I would say it was totally unfortunate incidents. After all there are machineries and can go wrong any time!

Thread Starter #38
So no need to worry? Thanks again shynishm.
So have you decided its going to be the CRDi? Be it Getz , Accent or WagonR the maintenance of all these wont be a problem and all these cars are fairly fuel efficient. And since its going to be sold pretty soon i would cut-off Getz from the list as its getting phased out and so re-sale value will get affected! If you want diesel go for Accent , WagonR for petrol.

I would still recommend WagonR as it being a Maruti will have better re-sale value and hassle free ownership even in the short span you are going to own it.
Er, Dhaya, please read my previous couple of posts. My grandfather might probably use it until the end of the road. What do you say considering that?

350Z

Core Team
Who told that because it is a Maruti it would have better re-sale value? There is nothing much like that. Wagon-R is one of the most common hatchback in country and one can not expect any special re-sale value like that a Honda or Toyota badge attracts. I'd stick with my suggestion of getting an Accent CRDi.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Oops sorry would have missed that post. Still tricky one here! Its going to be a close call between Accent and WagonR, BTW has your dad agreed to the increase in budget?

I would say opt the one which you get in a good condition and a good deal , both are great cars IMO!

Hey 350Z C'mon , Maruti has better re-sale value than most other manufacturers. And also note that Maruti is more reliable too in the long run with cheaper maintenance and spares.

Thread Starter #41
Yeah, my dad and even more, my grandad don't mind the extra price of the Accent, especially when (according to my calculations), Cost of fuel on 18000km in the WagonR will be around Rs 65000, and Rs 47000 in the Accent's case!
As I said, we will have a formal discussion about this tomorrow.

But that difference in amount will be easily eaten up the costlier maintenance and spares for a diesel. I don say Accent is a bad car but a used CRDi is always suspicious and unreliable. And since its going to be owned by your grandpa owning a petrol Maruti will give a peace of mind for him.

Again i say Accent is also a good choice , choose wise and buy the one which is in a better shape and value!

@Arkin- If your grandpa os going to keep this car for years, then why not extend your budget and get a new WagonR base model.

Maruti has better re-sale value than most other manufacturers. And also note that Maruti is more reliable too in the long run with cheaper maintenance and spares.
I agree with Dhaya on this. Maruti cars have much better resale value as compared to other manufacturers.

Thread Starter #44
These points are indeed valid. But then my grandpa has his own misconceptions. He says "A Petrol car's mileage is unpredictably varying, but not in the case of diesels" and
"I want a car with a boot. It'll give the car protection, and a balanced look"
[frustration]

But as you said, if we aren't able to decide on either, we will go in for the car in the best condition we find, irrespective of if it is a waggy or an Ax.
-----------Next Post-----------
@Akash. Initial plan was to just buy a used Waggy/Santro for Rs 2.5 lakh max. The point now is that, gramps wants a used car, as he says he will be using the car for not too long. He had once upon a time, fixed a budget of 6.5lakh, and was zeroing on the DZire VDi and the likes. But then, he changed his mind and started contemplating a Figo, and finally, a used Ikon or Fiesta. The budget is absolutely not flexible, and if at all he requires a new car, we'll probably sell this used car, making a loss of not more than Rs 30k or so.

Last edited:
Well i may agree with your grandpa that it will give more protection( not too much actually) and a balanced look.

But why don you leave the choice to him as it will be last car right? Let him decide his own final car now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom