Urgent: Which Amplifier To Buy?

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys I ll be powering a Component + Coaxial setup with a 4 channel AMP that I have to buy in the next 3-4 days. I will be buying from US and it will be brought along by my friend when he returns in the next week.

My speakers -

Coaxials - JBL GTO 949
JBL - GTO 949 - 6 inch x 9 inch 3 Way Coaxial Speakers (400 W) [Pair Of Speakers] - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com

Component system - JBL GTO 649C
JBL - GTO S649C - 6.5 Inch Two Way Component Speakers (270W) [Pair of Speakers] - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com

So coming down to the amplifier - I have short-listed these four amps -

(all are 4 channel amps)

Amplifier------------------------------------class---------------cost---------------- RMS@4ohms--------------RMS@2ohms

Rockford fosgate R400-D----------------D------------------150$--------------------75W------------------------100W
DD audio c4c------------------------------A/B ----------to be verified---------------60W------------------------80W
Alpine MRV F300---------------------------D------------------130$--------------------50W------------------------75 W
JL audio JX 360/4------------------------A/B-----------------170$--------------------70W------------------------90W

Links for the above 4 -
1 - PRIME Amplifiers - R400-4D - Rockford Fosgate®

2 - C4c | DD Audio

3 - Amazon.com: JX360/4 - JL Audio 4-Channel 360W Class A/B Amplifier: Electronics

4 - Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

I like RF R400d the most because it is a class D amp and thus is expected to be more efficient and its a 2006 CEA compliant so the ratings cannot be fake - RF claims 80% efficiency at 4 ohms and 75% efficiency at 2 ohms.

Second on my list is the DD C4C - simply because of the reviews I read on the Indian forums and is recommended a lot here. I will confirm its price in a day or two.

Third on my list is Alpine MRF V 300 because it is very popular as a budget amp and like the r400d is a 2006 CEa compliant so the ratings are bound to be true. It would mean slightly less power compared to other amps on the list but would surely save some money for petrol.

Fourth and the last one on my list is the JL audio JX 360/4 - the amp seems to be good but is priced a good 20$ above the R400D and C4C so I am skeptical about going for this one.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PLEASE GUYS help me with your inputs - as to what I am missing and any other factors I may have skipped. Any help is appreciated.

Please remember i have to place the order in the next 3-5 days.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Re: URGENT : Which AMP to buy

The rear coax are fine, but the components you have selected are tipped at 3ohm stable so either you'll be powering them at 2ohms or 4 ohms be it any amp, most probably at 4 ohms as at higher gains on 2 ohms you might fry the voice coils in some time. So, firstly choose a component set that is 2 ohm tipped to get the most out of them. You may choose from Morels, Hertz, RFs.

Now coming to amps, since you are powering only voice drivers so stick to class AB amps as the are more cleaner in their power output. If you plan to add a sub later even them a decent class ab amp would be sufficient for most of the setups. If you wish to have a dedicated amp for sub whenever you install it, then get a class d for sub.

Now coming to the amps you have selected, my pick would be JL. Sheer brilliance theses amps have and you'll be pleased with clean mids and highs apart from the awesome bass they get out of component midbass drivers
If you are open to amps other than these, I'd suggest you Kenwood M846. It's a very vfm amp and the best part is no other amp comes even close to this in producing clean power at it's price. You can have it for around 5.5k.

Thread Starter #3

So, firstly choose a component set that is 2 ohm tipped to get the most out of them. You may choose from Morels, Hertz, RFs.
Ok - 2 ohm tipped components it shall be then. Any particular models - you could vouch for in the 4-6k price range ?
Now coming to amps, since you are powering only voice drivers so stick to class AB amps as the are more cleaner in their power output.
Ok - fine but I read online that class D amps are more efficient and can be used to power speakers.
If you are open to amps other than these,
Yes I am very open to any good amp in my budget i.e 150-160$ or 10,000 INR.
I'd suggest you Kenwood M846
Kenwood M846 ?
Are u sure of that ? I mean its so low priced and do you really think it could match the likes of DD C4C and other amplifiers in similar price range ? I dont even see many reviews online.
my pick would be JL. Sheer brilliance theses amps have and you'll be pleased with clean mids and highs apart from the awesome bass they get out of component midbass drivers
The reason I wasn't opting for that amp was that its slightly expensive - which is not as major of a problem as its size- its way too huge to be carried in a back-pack.

Last edited:

Class D amps are suited for SPL or atleast SQL setups. It's AB amps that have a pure sine waveform and hence are way better in sound reproduction when vocals and highs are involved.

Kenny 846 is q champ in it's price and can put to shame a lot of costlier amps. It's very SQ oriented and so not suited for heavier subs. But since you are not powering any subs so suggested that. Choose your pic but I'd suggest to pick a AB amp only.

Regarding components look from Hertz, Rainbow (a bit costly), Focals and Morel Maximos.

Thread Starter #5

Kenny 846 is q champ in it's price and can put to shame a lot of costlier amps. It's very SQ oriented and so not suited for heavier subs. But since you are not powering any subs so suggested that.
Sorry for being blunt here but I need to ask this before I make a call - how can you be so sure of this amp ? Have you used it in person ? This amp is not very popular in the international market and not a single review pops when I hit up a google search for the same.

Which other A/B channel amps do you recommend in the under 10,000 or under 160$ category ?

Also do you think an amp pushing 50W @ 4 ohms 75W @ 2ohms is good enough to power the config I am expecting ?

Last edited:

Sorry for being blunt here but I need to ask this before I make a call - how can you be so sure of this amp ? Have you used it in person ? This amp is not very popular in the international market and not a single review pops when I hit up a google search for the same.
Using it from more than 2 years almost without a single issue. [:D]

I am getting Kicker dx 400.4 for 160$ and I think there wont be a better deal. For specs -
Kicker DX400.4 (11DX400.4) 4-Channel Car Amplifier

Should I go for it?
Deal -
Kicker KICKER 4 CH 400W AMP Car Audio:Amazon:Car Electronics
Specs are really apt for your configuration, also, Kicker makes some good amps though never experienced this one ever so can't really comment.

Thread Starter #8

Using it from more than 2 years almost without a single issue. [:D]
Seems good - what other amps you have compared this to (just to have a reference) ?
Also - what components have you been powering using that amp ?

Seems good - what other amps you have compared this to (just to have a reference) ?
Also - what components have you been powering using that amp ?
Compared it to JBL 646 and Hertz HE 4.1 but decided for the Kenny. I wished to go for JBL 1004 but was not available at that time and I wasn't ready to delay my setup. I am powering Morel Maximos 6.5" components and a RF P1 sub with it. You can check my thread : http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-entertainment/4670-ice-toyota-etios-2.html#post99097

Thread Starter #10

Compared it to JBL 646 and Hertz HE 4.1 but decided for the Kenny. I wished to go for JBL 1004 but was not available at that time and I wasn't ready to delay my setup. I am powering Morel Maximos 6.5" components and a RF P1 sub with it. You can check my thread : http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-entertainment/4670-ice-toyota-etios-2.html#post99097

Do you recommend a 2 comps + 1 sub setup over a 2 comps + 2 co axials ?

Note - I wont be interested in a 4.1 setup as it turns out to be too bassy for me.

Last edited:

Do you recommend a 2 comps + 1 sub setup over a 2 comps + 2 co axials ?
ANYDAY!!! People confuse subs to be bass machines ONLY. Just like light, sound too has a spectrum, with combinations of higher freq., mid freq. and lower freq. For higher you get tweeters, for mids you get midbass and for low freq. comes the sub. If you don't like much bass get a decent sub in a sealed enclosure and tune it at a bit lower gains. That way you get complete music out of every song. Also, it is not necessary to go for 12" subs only, you may opt for a 10" sub too.

Thread Starter #12

ANYDAY!!! If you don't like much bass get a decent sub in a sealed enclosure and tune it at a bit lower gains. That way you get complete music out of every song. Also, it is not necessary to go for 12" subs only, you may opt for a 10" sub too.
Hold on - I am a bit confused here.

Well, as you mentioned - the SUBS are meant for low freq - so wont the co-axials be a better choice ? Because from what I hear - they re known to provide just adequate amount of bass and can pump out freqs higher than a SUB - basically having a wider range compared to the subs. Correct me if I am mistaken.

Hold on - I am a bit confused here.

Well, as you mentioned - the SUBS are meant for low freq - so wont the co-axials be a better choice ? Because from what I hear - they re known to provide just adequate amount of bass and can pump out freqs higher than a SUB - basically having a wider range compared to the subs. Correct me if I am mistaken.
Why do you want a single driver to over wider freq. bands when you can have specific drivers for each freq. and that is what a sub is for. Rear coax are just a cheaper alternate to not having subs but DO NOT come close to the bass that a sub can generate.

Thread Starter #14
Seems to make sense (y) - but dont you think that would be an ideal arrangement only if you re at the front (assuming 2 comps and tweeters at front + sub in the trunk).

Somehow, I have a feeling a 2 co axials (tuned to lower gains) + 2 components should suit me better than a 2.1 - because the people at rear seats are bound to be complaining in a 2.1 setup.

Seems to make sense (y) - but dont you think that would be an ideal arrangement only if you re at the front (assuming 2 comps and tweeters at front + sub in the trunk).

Somehow, I have a feeling a 2 co axials (tuned to lower gains) + 2 components should suit me better than a 2.1 - because the people at rear seats are bound to be complaining in a 2.1 setup.
That totally depends on how many times the rear bench is occupied, more is the no.of times and they like music too then yes rear speakers are a better choice. Alternatively, you can get the sub too and power the sub and components off the amp and add rear coaxials as fillers and power them off directly from the HU.

Top Bottom