Upgrading Tyres of Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R

Thread Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have been riding my Waggie for 3+ years now with no technical glitches so far. I have completed 40K on Odo and going for my big service coming week.

In the meanwhile I was also thinking of taking care of my Tyres as well given Monsoon is comin, hence need opinion on couple of aspect mentioned below:

1. I have heard/read 40K is good time to replace tyre, is it so?
2. I have decent thread left but not sure id that's sufficient or not, how to find it?
3. My two tyres have better thread then remaining two, does it make sense to replace 2 at once?
4. Mine is Lxi CNG with 155/80R13, which size I can upgrade to without changing radius? Any personal experience?
5. I checked few tyre size calculators and the answer I am getting is quite odd and seems not a fit for my needs. I am using

Please suggest
6. Stock Tyres are from JK, they they make noise but they have been good with me overall, should I consider GoodYear/Bridgestone?

Re: Right Time to Change a Tyre of Wagon R Lxi CNG and right upgrade Size

change tyres if any steering wobble due to uneven thread, lack of grip, change the front tyres as a set and always rotate your tyres depending on your usage pattern.

upsizing is not recommended as it may reduce FE and also the body to wheel ratio.

check out bridgestone b250 or appolo amazer 3g

Tyre Solution For Wagon-R VXi

I have waganor vxi 2012 model and run 40 k and tyre has been worn Apollo amazer 3g 155/65 r 14 so I want to change all tyre what is the best option no mood to switch the 165/70 r 14 in original size which is bst I have option of Goodyear ,bridge stone,mrf,ceat no mood of Apollo or any other option

Re: Tyre solution for waganor vxi

Not really. Its made for Indian roads and will last longer then any other tyres but you cannot expect benefits of superior tyres. i.e Better grip, handling, comfort and least produced noise.

155/65 r14 is the best size for your car and afaik there is no better upsize option. 165/70 r14 would be too big.

Unfortunately in 155/65 r14 not many brands/models are available. Michelin isn't available either. Here are some you may choice:

Maxxis MA-701 - I have heard good feedbacks of this tyre. It has good grip, handling and comfort. Also is better then Goodyear, Apollo, MRF.

Bridgestone B290 - Usually comes fitted as stock tyres on most cars. It has to be good and durable.

@ Nicky.
1. I have heard/read 40K is good time to replace tyre, is it so?
If your tires are not too worn out you can still go for an year, depending upon the condition.
2. I have decent thread left but not sure id that's sufficient or not, how to find it?
watch video here
3. My two tyres have better thread then remaining two, does it make sense to replace 2 at once?
Better thread tires keep it in the back and put new in front, but the best is to change all
4. Mine is Lxi CNG with 155/80R13, which size I can upgrade to without changing radius? Any personal experience?
175/70/13 ,my experience with 2009 LXI LPG. No errors in odo.
5. I checked few tyre size calculators and the answer I am getting is quite odd and seems not a fit for my needs. I am using
6. Stock Tyres are from JK, they they make noise but they have been good with me overall, should I consider GoodYear/Bridgestone?

We all now JK , the stock tires, coming with the car is just fit for taxi purpose. Switch to BS,GY,Michaline or Yoko ,you will feel a great difference in ride and handling.

@harshul
Your tyre up size can be 175/70 R14. This will give an odo error of +1.2%. Not much of an issue.

Your tyre up size can be 175/70 R14. This will give an odo error of +1.2%. Not much of an issue.
I think you had a typo or wrong calculations.

Stock tyre size 155/65 r14 and upsizing to 175/70 R14 would give 7.8% error so its not the correct upsize.

175 / 60 r14 would be fine (1.5% error) as suggested by stingray91 but its availability is limited in that size. GY GT3 and Yoko A539.

Last edited:
I think you had a typo or wrong calculations.

Stock tyre size 155/65 r14 and upsizing to 175/70 R14 would give 7.8% error so its not the correct upsize.

175 / 60 r14 would be fine (1.5% error) as suggested by stingray91 but its availability is limited in that size. GY GT3 and Yoko A539.
Thank you for the correction. Sorry for the calculation mistake.I think 175/70/R14 is not valid. Does any tire come in that spec?
Even if it does,it will definitely scratch the inside of tire well, for Wagon R.
So, coming back to calculations. According to which only supported upgrades are

165/60/R14 gives -.6% error
175/55/R14 gives -1.6 % error
175/60/R14 gives +1.6 % error.

Anything in between +2 to -2 error can be used as upgrade, keeping in mind of the calculations.

Whether you have thread left or not, if the tyres are JK replace them. My sisters Wagon R has them and even though the thread was good the tyres actually got bent. I replaced them with Apollo Accelere.

If you are having little more budget, you could used 14" alloys on OLX or QUIKR. That too at a cheaper price.

Instead upgrading it on existing steel rims, better upgrade to alloys and the upgrade the tyres to 14".

If you have stock tyre then it would be 145/80R13 on Lxi and 155/65R14 on Vxi
I am not sure about the upgrade to Vxi tyres, upgrade will be a odd tyre size 165/60R14. So there are very less company that will manufacture this.

According to my knowledge Maxxis P1 is the only option.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply Amit. As of now I'm already using alloy wheels 15 inches with 195 55 R15 that's why I'm looking for a new tires with my old alloy wheels. Please suggest which one is better in the options given. Or any other suggestion would be appreciated !

Re: Changing My tyres of Wagon r Vxi

Hello all,
Loooking to change tires of my my wagon r vxi 2012. Currently using 195 55 r15 bridgestone worn out. Now looking for cheaper options Kenda KR20 Tubeless
Nankang NS2 Tubeless
Kumho ECSTA KU31 Tubeless
Falken AZENIS PT722 Tubeless

Please suggest and help in choosing the tires for my car. Looking for grip and driving at speeds. Daily run is about 50-70km

Thanks in advance !!
Hey as you mentioned you are using 195|55|15 tyres on your Wagon R, did you not have any errors or problems in the vehichle?
I recently upsized my tyres to a 185|55|14 with 14" alloys, I wanted to know is there any possibility of error or chances of fuel economy drop in the vehichle?

Top Bottom