Upgrading Headlight Bulbs

Thread Starter #1
Hi all, i would like to upgrade my headlight bulbs from 60/55 to 100/90 as it is giving low illumination. Even a bike light is causing me problem, i cannot see in front of me. A local mechanic recomended me for upgradation. Mine is a Indigo cs-2008(diseal) car, and having a healthy battery(just 15months old).
My questions:
1.Can i go for it?
2.Will there be any heavy load on the battery?
3.As it is upgradation, any chance of heation the headlamp assembly?
Please Help

Re: upgradation of head light bulbs

You need to have additional relay circuit to stabilize the load. The headlight assembly should withstand the heat from 90/100 bulb. If you are more concerned about the health of battery, then minimize the high beam useage as far as you can and turn off the lights when waiting in traffic or when idling the car.

I have upgraded to 90/100 in my accent and am using additional relay..

After the upgrade, please ensure that you switch to low beam whenever high beam may be inconvinient to the other vehicles.

With additional relay, the upgradation is OK. i did that in my old 800, but since the alternator is not much powerful i have experienced slight dimming when waiting at signals etc, (+1 sai_crdi)with AC on. so i would switch off whenever possible.
Indigo assembly can hold the heat, but not 800 my glasses have started turning yellow from the heat.
in my present wagonr i went for Philips xtreme power instead of 100/90 as that will void the warranty. My other choice was HID, which was very costly. and since i don't have much night driving during these days, i am happy with Xtreme power

Thread Starter #4

Thanks Sai.
How much time it will take for this
What might be the cost.

I STRICTLY use high beam only on highway, so health of the battery might not be a problem for me.

Its a simple process, they will fix alternate holders to the bulbs fix the relay and connect that to the battery, you just need to ensure that they do not take a short cut way of tampering the existing wires running from the battery, insist on new wire separately both from and off the battery and a proper insulation of all the wires.

Bulbs - 350
Relay - 500
Labor - 250

zengetz

Suspended
Welcome to TAI Rahul and good to meet a fellow Hyderabadi [cheers]

Do not forget to add ceramic holders. This will help sustain the heat from the higher wattage bulbs. Go for the roots headlight relay cut outs if possible.
There would be no tampering with stock wiring. Just make sure you go to a reliable accessory shop. The whole process would take a max of 10-15 minutes

Where in Hyd do you live btw ?

I have also upgraded to Philips Rally 100/90W for my Alto headlights with the help of relay. I do not change the holder but put off the headlights when waiting in the traffic signals or like that to reduce the heat. Adding a ceramic holder is always good as suggested by Zengetz otherwise you must be very cautious. Everything will cost you hardly Rs.750/- to 800/-.
Regards.

Thread Starter #8
i will read the responce i got, later, but first i will digest the fact that i got help from number of people[:D].
A VERY WHOLEHARTEDLY THANKS TO SAI, junaidzsb, kannan, zengetz, tasuray.

keep up the good work[clap]

Thread Starter #9
Once again thanks to all.
Initially i thought that for upgradation just taking out the old one and replacing it with higher watt bulb (as we do for our home bulbs). As am new in this field please bare me...

@zengetz
same here.
i reside at santoshnagar, n u?

lxi.

Suspended
Yes buddy, i am also feeling to go for upgrading of headlamps of my alto. I am currently having the stock ones which are, when one word to describe , CRAP!

I was totally blinded by an oncoming scorpio/safari (the light was so much that i was not able to identify, just it was an SUV) after taking a sharp turn(actually speedy turn, at 20-30kmph i think as the car was tilted to one side), the mad fellow came overtaking all traffic from the right and was driving on the right of the road, he had foglamps, headlamps (high beams i think),2 lights (on the bull bar), and 4 lights(bluish colour) on the roof.
What a scene that would have been, i stopped my car at the side to get my eyes back in action[:)].

What would be a good upgrade with long beam throw(nowadays i have to drive with high beams on)?I am also planning to add fogs(aftermarket-local).

deville_56

Honoured Member
Once again thanks to all.
Initially i thought that for upgradation just taking out the old one and replacing it with higher watt bulb (as we do for our home bulbs). As am new in this field please bare me...
Replacing with 100/90 will fry the holder in long run, in case of Tata cars even the wiring can burn. (Both from personal experience [evil])

You can get Roots headlight wiring kit for 600 (720 MRP), which included fuses, relay, high-guage wire, head resistant sleeve, ceramic holders and connector. Just plug-n-play. 10 minute job installing, very much DIY job. Phillips Rallye 100/90 cost 300 a pair, Philips Essential Vision 100/90 cost 450 a pair (whitish, but not so whitish).

Check the last one

Yes buddy, i am also feeling to go for upgrading of headlamps of my alto. I am currently having the stock ones which are, when one word to describe , CRAP!

I was totally blinded by an oncoming scorpio/safari (the light was so much that i was not able to identify, just it was an SUV) after taking a sharp turn(actually speedy turn, at 20-30kmph i think as the car was tilted to one side), the mad fellow came overtaking all traffic from the right and was driving on the right of the road, he had foglamps, headlamps (high beams i think),2 lights (on the bull bar), and 4 lights(bluish colour) on the roof.
What a scene that would have been, i stopped my car at the side to get my eyes back in action[:)].

What would be a good upgrade with long beam throw(nowadays i have to drive with high beams on)?I am also planning to add fogs(aftermarket-local).

You can also try the same. Plus in case you need fog lamp, there is Neolite ones available for 900 a pair, big ones. Add another 500 for clamps, relay and wiring. 200-300 more for bulb upgrade (100w) [evil]

Installed the same relay setup in a Punto and a Nano and Neolite installation in progress on Punto.

Last edited:

Top Bottom