Upgrading from Maruti Zen. Suggest a Suitable Sedan.

Thread Starter #1
Good day from nkumarblr.
I am new to the community and joined yesterday. I am an electrical engineer by profession and work in government service at Bangalore.
I own a Maruti Zen 1999 and decided to upgrade to a sedan. During the process of my survey for a suitable car i came across TAI and was impressed with the wealth of useful information being shared.
I have zoomed in on City S MT , Fluidic sx VTVT, Ford Classic Diesel and may be Maruti SX4. I have no preferance of Petrol or diesel and my budget is 9-10 lakhs. I travel 30-40 kms in city daily and long trips occassionaly and car is self driven woth a family of four. Looking for good mileage, decent looks -interior and exterior
Can I have your advice and the community's advice on this.

Welcome to TAI nkumarblr and your first post is asking for a suggestion on which sedan [surprise]

From what you have shortlisted if i am not wrong are City S MT , Fluidic sx VTVT, Ford Classic Diesel and may be Maruti SX4

If you are particular about a Petrol sedan it should hands down go to Honda City 1.5L i-vtech its really practical and much appealing in the lot even though been here for a considerable amount of time

If you are particular about a diesel sedan my pick would be any of the following going by preference and points to look out for

VW Vento - Must test drive this before you finalize on any, much talked about sedan in the lot
SX4 - Very much practical diesel sedan and the best sedan if resale price and serice costs is in your mind
Chevy Optra Magnum- Awesome car i might buy this over a vento, but Service costs to be kept in mind
Ford Fiesta - The new version is really good but cramped rear space for a sedan for which you would pay 11L+, would rule this car out if a regular family commuter and Ford service costs in mind
Hyundai Fluidic - Just not there, much overrated car and not an highway performer by any chance, you must drive this on a rainy day in a highway to experience it, not much confidence inspiring- though being my personal perception

End of the day when i come out to buy a diesel sedan i want more power for spirited driving and a regular commuter and would be ready to pay a premium if its really worth the buck and quite surprisingly if i were you i would have increased my budget a bit further and would have gone for a Chevy Cruze

I would opt for a extended warranty and go for this car as it would stand out from all the other sedan's as i feel the sedan market From 7-11 lakhs is not much interesting right now due to the entry of some premium hatchbacks which reaches 8L

Kumar

Welcome to TAI !!

If it is a petrol, then go for Honda city

If is a diesel, then try between TATA Manza & Ford fiesta classic !![:)]

Reasons for the above suggestion : You can explore them on TAI in number threads

Thread Starter #4
Many Thanks Gurrala74 & Swift & furious for your suggestions.[:)]
I took a TD of Honda City today evening with my family. It was really good. The mileage in city would be 11-12 I suppose. I had short listed the diesel version of Fiesta classic rechristened as Classic- Titanium now( cost on road 9.68L). What are your comments on this.the dealers say it would give a mileage of 17-18 in city and 22 in long.
I had a test drive of SX4 maruti but the car looks very huge. I will be taking a TD of Ford Classic tommorrow. I need to take a decision fast and get the car by Dassara. As suggested I will have a look at Cruze & Optra as well.[:)]
Thanks

Good day from nkumarblr.
I am new to the community and joined yesterday. I am an electrical engineer by profession and work in government service at Bangalore.
I own a Maruti Zen 1999 and decided to upgrade to a sedan. During the process of my survey for a suitable car i came across TAI and was impressed with the wealth of useful information being shared.
I have zoomed in on City S MT , Fluidic sx VTVT, Ford Classic Diesel and may be Maruti SX4. I have no preferance of Petrol or diesel and my budget is 9-10 lakhs. I travel 30-40 kms in city daily and long trips occassionaly and car is self driven woth a family of four. Looking for good mileage, decent looks -interior and exterior
Can I have your advice and the community's advice on this.
if you are going for a petrol sedan. Then, I must say, City is a very good option.
Then the cars I think you should be considering are Vento, Rapid, Linea, Sunny (if practicality/space is more important) & maybe Manza too.

Many Thanks Gurrala74 & Swift & furious for your suggestions.[:)]
I took a TD of Honda City today evening with my family. It was really good. The mileage in city would be 11-12 I suppose. I had short listed the diesel version of Fiesta classic rechristened as Classic- Titanium now( cost on road 9.68L). What are your comments on this.the dealers say it would give a mileage of 17-18 in city and 22 in long.
Good to know that you liked the Honda City.
About fiesta, it does give good mileage and what the dealer said is right. The car is pretty good but there are some people complaining about its low Ground Clearance on bad roads!

I had a test drive of SX4 maruti but the car looks very huge. I will be taking a TD of Ford Classic tommorrow. I need to take a decision fast and get the car by Dassara. As suggested I will have a look at Cruze & Optra as well.[:)]
Thanks
yeah, sx4 does look huge even if the dimensions of the vehicle is not that much.
And reading about the cruze, willing to extend your budget? Cruze starts from about 13.85L ex-showroom Delhi.

Hi nkumarblr,

My suggestion about the Sedans you should consider,
1. Petrol Sedan - HONDA CITY - no.1 Petrol sedan for a long time
2. Diesel Sedan - VW Vento (I guess its just above 11 lakhs) or Skoda Rapid (priced slightly lower than Vento)

I have used Vento for almost a year and I have to admit that this is the Diesel car that can keep you happy in terms of Performance ( I mean acceleration despite 5 people in car), however the same Vento costed 24K for its first service.

You will have no complain about Build quality in Vento/Rapid, No rattling etc. But the interiors wont be very curvy etc. Its all about elegance & simplicity in the Vento.

Why no Linea? Most Indian Diesel cars use the Fiat Engine. "Built like a tank" is the way I see a Linea/ a Punto. Test drive these too.

Vento (Performance & Build quality), Linea (Design, Fiat engine & Best build quality), Honda City (It has everything one can wish for in that budget & still looks way better)

All the best.

350Z

Core Team
Welcome to The Automotive India. Please list the requirements in the suggested format (Link) that would help us to recommend a suitable car.

Chevy stopped production of optra and aveo and UVA
I don’t think Optra has been discontinued yet.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I have seen one guy taking delivery of black chevy magnum in kropex bengaluru a month back and i feel they wouldn't discontinue it by the numbers they sell in the metro's
atleast

Anyways if its discontinued its bad news as its one good car for the price, and is very much underrated

However nkumarblr is very much specific on Ford or Honda, let him decide on what would suit him as we have given our choices

Kropex Chevrolet Cars

If it is petrol then you can blindly choose City, if you want an Diesel then you can try both Manza and Linea to an extent Verito

Thread Starter #12
Welcome to The Automotive India. Please list the requirements in the suggested format (Link) that would help us to recommend a suitable car.
Dear Guys, my requirement is as follows:
[:)]
Budget: Rs.8 – 10 Lakh- New car

Top Five Priorities: : Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Design, Luggage Space, mileage and features. I dont intend to add on features soon.
I get about 12-13 with my Zen now in city driving

Monthly Running: Between 1,000 – 1,200 Kms) There would be occassional long trips

Type of Fuel: Petrol/ Diesel)

Purpose: Regular Use

Seating Capacity: Maximum 5 Adults

Type of Segment: Sedan
Request to give your suggestions . Also please give feedback on Ford Classic Titanium Diesel which was introduced recently.
Thanks
[:)]

If it is petrol then you can blindly choose City, if you want an Diesel then you can try both Manza and Linea to an extent Verito
Thanks
Why not Ford Classic. Any problem

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
vinayan;214908[url said:
http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/companies/article3577450.ece/maneref=http%3A%2F%2Findianautosblog.com%2F2012%2F07%2Fchevrolet-optra-aveo-aveo-u-va-discontinued-in-september[/url]
It’s an old article that states “GM To Discontinue…” Chevrolet India website still shows Optra Magnum. In fact, it shows Aveo as well but I assume the production of Aveo would have been stopped by now since the newer models are ready to roll out this month.

Request to give your suggestions . Also please give feedback on Ford Classic Titanium Diesel which was introduced recently
I bought a Fiesta Classic SXi (Now Titanium) in Jan 2012. I have no regrets at all with the decision. It’s truly a fantastic car to drive and since Ford has added a couple of new features too in Titanium, it is more VFM. You could also consider New Fiesta which carries the same traits but has a clear advantage of fresh design and improvement in overall quality levels. Here’s the link to my comprehensive ownership review: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-6-sxi-ownership-review.html?highlight=fiesta.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #14
Thanks 350 Z. I did read your process of purchase of Fiesta and was the reason for getting interested in this car.
Can you tell how thw diesel version is doing

Top Bottom