Unique Problem in My Car: Melting Rubber Sheet in Boot

Thread Starter #1
I am facing this unique problem in my car since 6 months.The rubber sheet in boot near spare wheel is unable to withstand heat from silencer and is melting,inspite of replacing it with new sheet.I had earlier complained in the forum about burning smell in the cabin when A/C - it turns out that smell came from melting of this rubber .The car in question is a swift a year old.The car is still in MASS for second time.According to SA he is awaiting reply from Maruti.

See the pictures below -
photo0209d.jpg photo0210x.jpg

This is not grease/oil but rubber or silencer sheet melting.

yep similar incident happened in our garage. the car was alto. 6 year old one.

we just scrapped out maximum of that rubber .

In the alto case , even the part under the tyre was like this.

In My accent the same part shows some things of melting , like it was slightly sticky . very light manner.
also the spare tyre's font on side wall had their impression on them.

May be that rubber do not withstand our country temp?

Thread Starter #3
@ilango -I thought the problem is with my car only but I was quite astonished to hear that even your car is having this problem.

According to SA of a MASS the problem could be due to substandard rubber used by supplier.He wants to rule out whether the problem is with my car only or entire batch.

Mine is not so sticky as in your case or the alto that came to our workshop.

Its just little bit . the texture is dry , but you could find the impression of mrf in them.

we tried checking in some old cars too , most of the case the car was painted and so the rubber part was also painted!!

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
In fact my eight years old Maruti 800 also suffers from this problem but in your case it's too much of sticky liquid. I would like to know what Maruti Suzuki has to comment on this.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #6
@ilango - I paid close to Rs 5000 for replacement( 3500 for rubber sheet + 1500 for labour) and it started happening again so I sent the car again to MASS and its nearly 10 days the car is with them.It was the strangest thing in my life , a smell from A/C traced to an important Rubber sheet[;)]

A friend told me about it my showed him picture of my car's boot so I got to know what to do from him.

@350Z - the car is with MASS and Tomorrow I am going to MASS to see the situation.I will keep updating this thread.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
@ilango - Yes I have been ripped by MASS but what to do?I searched every where I couldn't find any piece of information until a Friend told me about it.I showed it to two different ( all dealer owned) MASS 3 times yet in 6 months - they said it is nothing I ignored it.

Anyways, Thanks ilango and 350Z.I am now reassured by picture you ( ilango) have posted and lets see tomorrow what is the situation is.

Hope you could see the tyre mark in mine.
also in rh side , the mat's sponge is stuck in that . But everything is dry.

try this . clean the sticky rubber , spray a coat of paint.

Thread Starter #10
ilango[speed thirst];73622 said:
Hope you could see the tyre mark in mine.
also in rh side , the mat's sponge is stuck in that . But everything is dry.

try this . clean the sticky rubber , spray a coat of paint.
I saw the tyre mark in right side but yours dry but mine was like liquid tar which couldn't be removed so I had to gve it to MASS they replaced and painted the new rubber sheet but just few kilometers it started to soften and the acrid smell burning rubber smell was back again.So the car is in workshop again and the MASS SA have asked help from Maruti lets see.

Thread Starter #12
An Update on the situation

Day before yesterday, I visited the MASS and told SA about 3M patch which my friend had put in his car as he had the same problem in his Maruti Swift Dzire.the SA said that he will be ordering the part from 3M today and I think the car will be ready by Wednesday.

Thread Starter #13
3M product application

The rubber sheet was replaced by a 3M product by MASS in the area near spare wheel, and above the silencer.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Re: 3M product application

The rubber sheet was replaced by a 3M product by MASS in the area near spare wheel, and above the silencer.
Thanks for the update, and congratulations. Hope the problem must resolve now. I'd also like to know the total cost of same.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom