Unique Cost Cutting Gimmicks on Cars in India

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
The Indian car market and cost cutting run parallel to each other. Then be it a high end-end luxury car or a basic car for city commute. Just let us take the example of a BMW which comes equipped with run flat tyres but does not offers a spare wheel for that reason. And if speaking about our daily rides, one can find ample of examples of the same. Especially the ones we all are aware about and is recently in our forums’ limelight – Toyota Etios, where company has unexpectedly done too much of cost cutting to make it ‘India’s first’. I’m creating this thread to share and discuss all about the various cost cutting tricks and techniques by car makers for their products in India.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Cost Cutting Techniques on Cars in India

Somehow I feel BMW is not cost cutting. The RFT technology is something we have to get used to. Remember when radials came in there was a lot of negative talk about them. Now almost every car comes with radials. Next was tubeless. They are more or less accepted but there are still a few who don't trust them. I think RFT's will be accepted sooner or later.

Very common techniques

• Single reverse light
  • Single ORVM
  • Single Wiper
  • Cheap plastic interior
Feature Wise

• No body color bumpers, Door Handles
  • No power windows
  • No power steering
  • No cup holders
  • No rear wiper
  • No Wheel caps
  • No Ac
  • No arm rest
  • Single cabin light

Providing less features is not cost cutting. Those who want can always opt for the higher model. However cheap quality materials is cost cutting. Just compare the Alto and the Spark. The Spark's interiors look so much more up market when compared to the Alto.

i agree with Peter here. RFT is not cost cutting. they just have it standard. even here, many models are equipped RFT. I feel, in india, Etios is quite a good example of cost cutting, eg. single wiper? like seriously? and the interior is pathetic!

Interior plastic quality is the main place where cost cutting occured.

Even if single wiper is a cost cutting method it seems better than two wipers. eg: Toyota Etios Liva.

The absence of RPM meter is the one cost cutting method i dislike the most. [frustration]

Can this be included here?
Provinding slim cycle like tyres in the base version. Especially in Swift, DZire, Ritz, Astar..

Hi, I agree black bumper is also cost cutting on low end cars ! on brochures its mentioned as feature [frustration]

I remember, in 2005-2006 I visited Hyundai showroom & was checking out the Santro. The SE told me that the parcel tray does not come as standard but I will have to pay for it as an accessory. [frustration]
I hope it comes as standard fitment now at least.

No the parcel tray does not come in most of the cars base model. Eg.Alto,Alto k10

In some of the cars, I have seen instrument cluster placed on the centre of the dash. Does this come under cost cutting? [;)]

Can this be included here?
Provinding slim cycle like tyres in the base version. Especially in Swift, DZire, Ritz, Astar..
Spot on. How did everyone miss this. Anyway it is not so bad as you can upgrade.

The absence of RPM meter is the one cost cutting method i dislike the most. [frustration]
Specially since it cant be retrofitted like better tyres.

In some of the cars, I have seen instrument cluster placed on the centre of the dash. Does this come under cost cutting? [;)]
In one way its a cost cutting or effort cutting to be precise. Centre instrument cluster design easily fits into left hand drive and right hand drive models as well [clap]

U want cost cutting? Forget plastic interiors. Stickers instead of Badges. MSIL. Power windows on all windows, but switches in the centre console. Bolero. Base Scorpio. My old Indica DLX. How much do badges cost anyways? And how much can u save by cutting out 4 metres of wiring? Remote fuel lid/boot release. It costs a mere couple hundreds!! Still not there in base MSIL models.

Top Bottom