Underage Driving: A Necessary Evil To Avoid

Once rode pillion with a friend (15) on his Wego. He REDLINED it, touched 110 km/h and stayed for 2-5 seconds, with 90 at all times, never listening to me to bloody SLOW DOWN!

That was the last time I EVER rode pillion with any of my friends.

Goes without saying, no helmet.

Saw another guy racing with an Omni (belonging to some private tuition, probably he was also headed there) at speeds 80-90 km/h on an Activa, probably. Dunno how did the Omni guy was encouraging.

There's this place called Collage Road, and as the name says there are collages nearby. It's also a very rich area, so you see Mercs, BMWs, Audis etc. driven by chauffeurs. But you also see KTM RC/Duke 390s, Yamaha R15s & FZs, and, uncannily, there are too many REs in there, all ridden by idiotic young men. Typically, there's one guy riding and a girl pillion, both without helmet. Or, three guys. There's ALWAYS (I mean it, A-L-W-A-Y-S) a traffic jam on that road.

Last edited:
Under age driving is a serious issue these days and is actually out of control of the law enforcing bodies too.

Let me accept, I have been doing it when I was also under age. Riding a 220cc motorcycle or driving a mammoth like Armada Grand or Scorpio 2.6, I can tell you guys that those days all I knew was accelerator and no one should overtake me; such a narrow mindset it was those days.

IMO police needs to get very strict on this and similar with parents. Even my cousin passed his 10th standard just now, he can drive anything but that's for emergency only. Else he isn't even allowed to touch the steering wheel or motorcycle handle (what school buses are meant for after all)?

Near Gurgaon I once saw three boys in school uniform (turned red from white) lying on the NH8 with a Pulsar 135 around 50 metres ahead of them entrapped under the rear wheel section of a Haryana roadways bus. There was a pool of blood and people were awaiting the ambulance but I guess all three of the guys were already dead.
Reason: They were overtaking the bus, took a sharp cut, control lost, hit an another vehicle and fell on the road right in front of the bus which was already doing 80 kph on the highway. Result: the driver couldn't even apply the brakes and the bus ran over the kids devastating three families. And the bus driver walked free from court too because the kids were not 'legally' eligible to drive, in fact any public road (be it society, colony or highway) is the illegal playground for every under age kid.

But what can be done? Even students have to face a lot of pressure of studies like school and then tutiin classes and what not. Such a hectic schedule demands a vehicle with which the students can quickly move around in decent comfort. I am sure Sethu sir knows this one quite well.
Cycles are not viable and so is the public transport, what is better for students than a gearless scooter or a motorcycle?

Apart from the dangerous driving, another thing that grinds my gears is how these boys in my age group (13-17) take vehicles for granted. Read an article, something about a guy who wanted some sports bike real bad. But parents refused, so he didn't eat for three days. Mother sold her jewelry to buy it, he finally got it, and was going somewhere to click a profile pic with his friend. Lost control, owner dead, friend in critical condition. Can't remember if he was underage or not, but the bike was wrecked and nobody got insurance money, because bike was not yet registered or something like that.

That was the news, but 2-4 days ago, I saw a guy on a Pulsar, make a feeble attempt to drift. It was dirt down below, so he slipped and fell down on his friend's scooter. Best part? There was a cop, standing about 50m from the spot, just watching the tamasha. [frustration]

And, just recalled this incident, big one in my life, actually. Some 8-9 years ago. Turning right, my mother was driving, and this guy appeared out of nowhere, at riding a bike (Splendor, I think...) at speeds 80-90 km/h. Rider was underage for sure, pillion was probably a cousin. Crashed right onto the Maruti 800's fender, at 40-50 km/h. Surprisingly not much damage was done to either vehicle. Walked up, screaming profanities. Demanded 5k rupees, and took out the key. Finally settled for 500 rupees. Why? My mother's DL had expired a month ago, and didn't find the time to renew.

:offtopic:

What surprised me, though, is that in a country where the's so much feminism, nobody blamed him.

The best thing about these under age riders/drivers; they cut into your lane just after touching the indicator stalk and 'hit'. Now they will come to tell you that "indicator toh diya tha (I had indicated)".

Now who will tell these idiots that one needs to indicate way before turning and still needs to check twice before turning if any vehicle is approaching at good speed from back.

I faced a similar instance, I was like " kaha diya tha (where you have put it; double meaning way)" and some more and finally the guy left with a red cheek. Ya, that's the next part, I do get into road rage quickly and is working on it now.

Last edited:
Mithra,
You should have clicked a photo with number plate visible and the kid.Then should have made the photo to circulate on social media.Giving advice wont make these morons realise their mistake.
Shrid,
when i was in college atleast one guy would get hurt every week. Most of them are mindless morons. Even after recovery they drive like a maniac. It is better to avoid such roads during morning and evening.

The best thing about these under age riders/drivers; they cut into your lane just after touching the indicator stalk and 'hit'. Now they will come to tell you that "indicator toh diya tha (I had indicated)".

Now who will tell these idiots that one needs to indicate way before turning and still needs to check twice before turning if any vehicle is approaching at good speed from back.

I faced a similar instance, I was like " kaha diya tha (where you have put it; double meaning way)" and some more and finally the guy left with a red cheek. Ya, that's the next part, I do get into road rage quickly and is working on it now.
Same happened to me yesterday evening ,while driving with dad one tvs boy behind me was honking like hell in a small street near my home. I saw this in ORVM and it's a very narrow road so no way I can let him pass me. He kinda lost his patience and continuously honked , trying to pass me in left [confused] doing all monkey tricks.Finally at the end of that road he cut past me , I literally stopped as he was dangerously close and fled with a big smile on his bloody face! Belive me he must be 10 or 11 .Dad started cursing him I calmed him down. Guess what happened next !! COPS[clap] !!! He didn't notice them ,went straight ahead and got caught [:D] See nowadays Cops are very smart waiting in an intersection to catch them for Helmets and Driving licenses.Then I was smiling and drove past him .By the way His parents should be blamed more than him .

Last edited:

But what can be done? Even students have to face a lot of pressure of studies like school and then tutiin classes and what not. Such a hectic schedule demands a vehicle with which the students can quickly move around in decent comfort. I am sure Sethu sir knows this one quite well.
Cycles are not viable and so is the public transport, what is better for students than a gearless scooter or a motorcycle?
100% true. Last year when both my kids were in 10th/12th they both got to same master for maths tution and they go in my CT100. The master's house was in next street which is hardly 2 KM. a bike is not required, but for safety and time issues, i let my son ride the bike with his sister in pillion.

Couple of weeks back on Sunday, when my son wanted to take the RE to his CA/CPT coaching class, I allowed him, being it was Sunday and the classes were in early morning session. That is the big mistake I did. Again he wanted it today. But clearly said a BIG NO. I told him that "bike is yours. Am taking it only to make sure it is not idle and get spoiled. By next October 2017 you can drive yours and own it completely. I will never use the bullet. But till that time, Dont even ask me to take the bikes on main roads". And to make him realize that the bike is bought for him, I have decided to use my old bike. (But today he scolded me for taking the old bike and asked me to use the new one)

But you know what, his friend's parents has got him a bike and asking him to use the bike for CA/CPT coaching classes as well for commuting to college. Worst part is, he is studying in both caching classes and college with my son. So my son is going with him to classes (Mostly one way, while coming back from both the places) I had told my son not to drive it as well avoid going with him. He is arguing with me when his parents are allowing his friend why I cant. I think that is the big problem in our country. Even when my son listens to my words, he is tempted by others doing the same and the worst part is, his parents do not understand the problem of driving without license.

I have told him to go thru this thread and see what all the disadvantages of under age driving without proper license. Hope he understand the real problem.

@Sarath:
Even I have also faced some kids like this only. At the extremes, you can even find them doing antics in the presence of girls. I have been there, at that age and have seen many guys doing it. They need a Pulsar just to ride out of school parking making a lot of noise and you bring 2-3 good looking girls into picture and the thing worsens.

The one you experienced last day is quite common. These kids are new to motor driven vehicles and they think that no one should overtake them. Sometimes I face such kids while riding my P220. You try to overtake them and they twist their right arm as much as possible without even thinking what it can result in. In such cases, I always slow down because I know that my vehicle (bike or car) will be under control if anything goes out of sync but someone may lose their kid just because we got indulged into racing putting our ego above their innocent foolishness.

@Sethu Sir:
When I was in 11th standard, I bought a Hero DTB bicycle just for going to school and tution because that bicycle had front disc brake and was a bragging right those days. School was 4 kms away, 2 kms ahead was one tution and around half were other two. So basically I needed to ride back around 6.5 kms in evening.
Schedule was 1:45 school over, 2:30-3:30 was first tutiin and 4-6:30 were other two. Now using a bicycle it was very tough to maintain this schedule, return back riding 6.5 kilometres and then doing self study too. You may have seen such schedules of your children too and this is what makes a motorcycle or a car necessity.
My father was concerned about it, finally after trying a lot (1 week :biggrin:) I gave up, bunched up with 5 friends and all six of us used to go to school in i10. When 7 or 8 then Safari used to serve the purpose. Whenever I used to be alone or a quarrel with friends :tongue: then motorcycle used to serve the purpose.

What advantage I got?
I had time for classes without breaking myself into sweat and self study.

@Sarath:
Even I have also faced some kids like this only. At the extremes, you can even find them doing antics in the presence of girls. I have been there, at that age and have seen many guys doing it. They need a Pulsar just to ride out of school parking making a lot of noise and you bring 2-3 good looking girls into picture and the thing worsens.

The one you experienced last day is quite common. These kids are new to motor driven vehicles and they think that no one should overtake them.I always slow down because I know that my vehicle (bike or car) will be under control if anything goes out of sync but someone may lose their kid just because we got indulged into racing putting our ego above their innocent foolishness.
Absolutely !!
+1 to you .Pulsars and rx100s with loud aftermarket exhausts, no side mirrors , ugly body graphics and aggressive ego make them think they are the star and everyone just leave way for them . Total crap .

Absolutely !!
+1 to you .Pulsars and rx100s with loud aftermarket exhausts, no side mirrors , ugly body graphics and aggressive ego make them think they are the star and everyone just leave way for them . Total crap .
Ahh, you just brought in my favorite. Without rear view mirrors [frustration] not only kids but even some oler guys also have some weird reasons like:
1) Bad looking
2) I never use them
3) They strike people while driving in tight places
4) Old people use them

Even my cousin once took my P220 to his village for a week and when he returned it back there were no mirrors. I felt like my black dog lost his ears [cry]
Quickly got a new set (I get horrified driving without RVMs or ORVMs) and cousin was told not to even touch it again in life, thankfully he never touched my red bull afterwards.

Peer pressure to start riding at early age is very common, even i had faced the same.
But my dad was stern that he won't give me the keys until i obtained my license, it boosted my spirits high that i obtained my license on my 18 th birthday correctly,and it was a real achievement for me.
Now , when i go out with parents , Dad gives the keys reluctantly, he is very much satisfied with my driving skill.

More than Kids, it's the Parents who are responsible for these Incidents. Parents should teach their Kids how to be in control. But if Parents are casual in their approach, then how can we expect kikds to be sensible. Like, in Vadodara, or whole of Gujarat. People here think that it's waste of money in buying a Helmet or discomfort in using Seat Belts. If these Elders or Parents won't use helmets and seat belts, how can their kids ever !!,Once I tried to stop a neighbour from teaching his 10 yr old son Activa. Instead of understanding the matter, he Started shouting at me, and asked me to mind my own Business. !!!

More than Kids, it's the Parents who are responsible for these Incidents. Parents should teach their Kids how to be in control. But if Parents are casual in their approach, then how can we expect kikds to be sensible. Like, in Vadodara, or whole of Gujarat. People here think that it's waste of money in buying a Helmet or discomfort in using Seat Belts. If these Elders or Parents won't use helmets and seat belts, how can their kids ever !!,Once I tried to stop a neighbour from teaching his 10 yr old son Activa. Instead of understanding the matter, he Started shouting at me, and asked me to mind my own Business. !!!
That is great. You know what and all I have tought to my kids whether they go in cylce or bike whatever?

1. Use Bell/Horn before any intersection
  2. Before turning to right or left use Bell/Horn
  3. When you take right turn, go in the left lane, go forward and take right. so that they wont hit the fast coming vehicle who wants to take left from his side. ( I see lot of morons coming just like that and I had hit so many peoples when am taking left. This is irrespective of vehicle/driver etc)
  4. Never use High beam in the city limits
  5. Wear helmet always (except for short trips to local shops)
  6. Wear seat belt in car when in high ways (Want to do in city limits also, but makeing them to wear seat belt in highways itself a big task. Even I can manage with the person siting in co-driver seat but not the rear seat people. They think that is no harm in not wearing seat belt when you sit in the rear seat of the car)

Top Bottom