Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

Car underbody rust treatment

Now a days Im hearing lot about 3M car underbody rust treatment.

My question is, if this is really useful, why car manufacturer are not doing it before sending car to dealers?

Re: Car underbody rust treatment

Now a days Im hearing lot about 3M car underbody rust treatment.

My question is, if this is really useful, why car manufacturer are not doing it before sending car to dealers?

OEMs do some kind of transparent coating, but it may not ne enough.

Just today I got my new City coated with 3M under body coating with 5Yrs warranty. And silencer coated with 3M silver silicon paint.

The UB protection will not only protect against rust, but also help in minor under body scratches. Along with thatbit absorbs a bit of road noise, resulting in less noise passing to the cabin.
I paid 3396+1134: 5130 aling with a free wash from 3M.

My experience with so called underbody coatings

Usually underbody coatings are thick weigh more than normal paint. They are coarse too. Their thermal elongation and contraction properties differ with normal automotive paint. It has been observed that over the time they become dry and brittle, forms microscopic cracks, when they crack or fade away they also takes original paint microscopically. Because of above mentioned physical and chemical properties differences, rust is formed under the coating where the crack happened or where the original paint lost, and this cannot be seen with naked eye until significant rust formation. This appears like small bubbles under the black coloured under chassis paint.

There are two types of under chassis coatings available today. 1. Bitumen(asphalt and petroleum based). This type will not dry off so easily but they are not resistant to diesel wash and other road chemicals, their thermal properties same as above mentioned. They fade away and take the base paint which is less weight than this and micro mm thickness and do the above mentioned harm. 2. This type is asphalt free and diesel wash resistant, like 3M under chassis coatings, but over the time it become very brittle and do the more harm.

I used spray under chassis with 20% diesel with 80% new engine oil using spray gun. I did not see any rust past 17 years in my old cars. With this method you can actually see what is happening in car under chassis over the time and will not blind you until some damaged occurred like in the case of under chassis coating. I am following all of my family cars the same procedure.

My observation is that car chassis these days are designed to drain water out. They provide drain points almost everywhere. The real issue is not with drains, its about residence time of water. If a certain area gets wet and then dries out soon, rusting doesnt occur because the base phospating prevents is. If your car stands still a lot, you must get rust proofing done because there is no movement, especially in the monsoon, and the car will retains moisture. Also, even if you car just stands a lot, you must drive it around once every couple of days

It must be understood that this rust protection is sacrificial. Basically, any type of rust proofing, whether galvanising or phospating, basically coats one layer of metal thats more electronegative than the stock base. For example, zinc is more electronegative (i.e. reactive with the elements) than iron, so it reacts and wears off, preventing the iron from rusting. However, its not fool proof. The first surface of iron that gets exposed through a scratch or even around screw holes will start to rust. To really have rust prevention, you must repeat the galvanising such as every year or so. Anti rust coatings work differently- they prevent the elements from reaching the surface. However, like all coatings, antirust coatings have their life span. Thats why manufacturers offer fixed period warranties. Its meant for you to repeat the coating before the life span of the coat is exceeded.

Believe me, not getting rust proofing done is a crime! My first car was a preowned WagonR that I bought without fully knowing the car or checking it out. The car had allegedly done 36k km in 6 years. It was full of rust, so much so that the metal holding the rear axle was so rotten, the mechanic folded it by hand. But it was a very nice car otherwise. The original owner never had rust proofing done

Ameyam

Antirust Underbody Coating

Good Morning Friends.
I have 1998 Carb Model Maruti 800 DX. I got anti-rust coating done about 6 years ago and after wards I never did any under body coating. Every one talks about 3M, Dinitrol coating and costing anything from Rs 3000 upwards with 3 years warranty and to do the touch up after 6 months. I did enquire with MASS here and they said they now charge Rs 3600 plus Taxes and 3 yrs warranty and touch up every 6 months after monsoon but they have certain conditions that there should not any scratch due to any hit at the underbody etc, otherwise the warranty is void.
I did enquire with the private Auto shop, where I recently got my servicing done for flushing the Engine oil and replacing with new oil and replacing few items including Timing Belt, Fan Belt, Condenser Points, Spark Plugs etc costing around Rs 6000. This person says he will do only wd40 as underbody coating.
I did search on internet and came across a product by name URJA, manufactured by a company in Pune and seems to be good. Any one used this product? I am giving here under some of the details of this Urja Product for your review and expert comments/advise before I go ahead with this product.

Description
These Coatings are Preferred Over Bituminous Coatings Owing To The Chemical And Fuel Resistance Qualities. In Automobile Industry For Coating The Vehicle Bodies From Underneath.

Urja Underbody Coatings
We are providing a wide array of Urja Underbody Coatings to our clients. Our offered coatings are manufactured by using the high-grade material and advanced techniques. Owing to the characteristics like weather resistance, excellent adhesion, and perfect finish, these coatings are widely used in the automobile industry for coating the vehicle bodies from underneath. Additionally, the provided Coating can be availed by our reputed clients at the competitive prices.

Sr.No Characteristics Result :
• Base Polymer Base /Colour Black
• Viscosities 200-250 Sec. (Ford Cup-B-4)
• Air-Drying Time Touch Dry- 20 Min
• Shelf Life 9 Months from Date of Packaging

• Temperature Stability 8°C to 56°C
• Very Good Adhesions to Bare Metal,
• Solid Content 68-72 Percent / UV-Resistance Very Good
• Weather ability Very Good /Chemical Resistance Good
• Salt Spray (Test) / As Per ASTM / Hard Dry- 20 Hrs
• M-S And Various Substrate / 425 to 500 Hrs Passes

Thank you Moderator for moving my query to the right thread. I could go thru the opinions and experiences of others members. However I am keeping my fingers crossed as regards the answers about the product URJA, because all are talking about 3M only.

Hi Sandeep,

Going for anti-rust treatment purely depends on how long you want to keep your car. If you want to keep it with you for its life, then go for a 3M anti-rust treatment for underbody and keep the warranty they provide securely.

If you plan to sell your car in after 5-6 years, then there is no point going for anti-rust treatment. All new cars do not get rusted in the first 5- 7 years of their life provided they are serviced/washed as per schedule. I would say just make it a habit to give your car a proper wash after trips through mud/dirt/water and you should not have any issues what so ever.

As for the overbody, I have a 21 year old Maruti 800, I have been treating it with Formula 1 wax polish every 3 months and there is no sign of rust till date, the car is parked in open mostly.

In my opinion, coating or no coating, keeping the body clean and avoiding dents or getting dents properly repaired goes a long way in preventing rusting.

Hi Incarnation,I find you are more experienced person as regards cars in Mangalore.
May I request you to let me know any Reliable small Auto shop in Mangalore,( having Lifting facility, compressor and spray gun ) who do Antirust underbody coating for my M- 800 car( except MASS Mandovi and of course Bharth motors too which is bit far away for me). Of course sumitsinha and swiftshahi has given me most of the details about how to go about it. You can read all the conversation that took place in this matter under the thread " Maruti 800 -1992 Model Restoration" of young man sumitsinha.
Thanks in Advance.
VR Shenoy

For a brand new car, no need to go for teflon coating which is just a waste of your money. Also, underbody coating is not necessary for brand new cars but anyone can use it if your car is older than 2 years however, if you are in place like Kerala, even new car can go for underbody coating.
According to me, necessary accessories for new car
1. Vinyl floor mat
2. Stock headlamp change if needed
3. Jopasu car duster is must for everyone
@VR Shenoy , I don't know about your location but you can make use of Bosch service station ( Nandi Motors - Near Kavoor Rice mill, Mulladkukavoor)

Hello Nathan, I did see your message just now as I log in today. what a co-incidence!!!!!!!! In fact for almost a month, I was struggling to find a suitable and rightful place to get this Anti-rust underbody coating done for my M-800 DX since I got this done 6 yrs ago with 3M and it really protected my car for all these years from Rusting the underbody.

I wanted to get it done at a place than MASS Mandovi, because they do only one coat of 3M for Rs 3700 plus taxes which comes to around Rs 4000 plus. They were not prepared to do any any primer coating.

In fact lot of discussion took place between me and swiftshahi under the section - Technical Issues and Solutions and of course another young enthusiastic man sumitsimha also gave me lot of tips. However nobody was prepared to do Zinc primer coat before Rubber coat and gave me exorbitant rates here in Mangalore.

In fact, I came across Nandi Motors through Car Decor owner and I got in touch with Wurth Mangalore guys and they took it lightly about the Zinc primer coat. Finally I did approach Nandi Motors directly about 10 days back and a deal was struct that I would bring the materials and they will do the job and charge for labor only.

Today I got the Undercoating done with Zinc primer and Tufkote coating and spent my whole day over there. Tomorrow they will do the inside coating ( carpet area) by removing the seats etc and it will take the whole day for me over there. Once it is done, I shall share my experience with some photos and details for the benefit of others who have enough time and to get the work done as per their requirement and choice.

Dear Shashi and Sumitsinha ( Sumitsinha, If you are still busy with your exams, I can understand ), Could you please help me if you read this message tonight or early morning tomorrow with your suggestions ?

Of course I could complete Underbody Anti rust coating, Floor coating and also cleaning of Door pads and I shall write the details by this week end.

As you are aware of I did the Engine Flush etc by the end of March and the wheel care people did only the Wheel Alignment saying that the Tyres have become harder and they don't do the wheel Balancing. Any way I shall soon be Replacing all the 4 Tyres. This evening I did stop at Ceat wheel care on my way back home and inquired with them about the Wheel Balancing as I found the drive was not that smooth after doing only the wheel Alignment compared to it before doing the wheel Alignment. Ceat wheel care people said they can do the wheel Balancing and when they removed the Tyres, they observed that BOTH REAR COIL SPRINGS HAVE BECOME LOSE and asked me to get in touch with my Auto shop to replace them. Since my home is just a km from this Ceat wheel care, I drove home after the wheel Balancing was done. Since Shakti Auto shop closed by 6 pm, I can go over there only in the morning tomorrow.

My question to you is what could be the reason for both Coil springs became lose / or broken and and how it was not observed by Shakthi Auto when they did though checking in March end and later on also . How come both Coil spring become lose at the same time? what is the cost of both Coil springs, is it required to change any other parts such as any bushing etc. Since the Rear suspension is with Coil Springs with gas filled Shock Absorbers, is there any damage to the shock Absorbers? please do give me your Opinion/suggestion.

Thanks in Advance.

Top Bottom