Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

GM is offering under body treatment with 5 year warranty and paint protection with 1 year warranty. They are charging 6500 For Beat Petrol. Does it really make any sense to go with this?

It is just tooooooooooooo costly what they are charging. Buy 3M anti rust paint coat 1 liter can from outside it will cost you 350 to 400 Rs. Get in touch with a local paint shop and he will do it for you. Make sur taht you properly clean the underbody and then let it dry before applying the antirust coat.

I paid 2000 Rs to get it done for my Dzire 8 months back and till date I believe they ripped me off. It would have costed me 1000 to 1200 Rs had I done it from ouside and it is no rocket science.

For beat you will not require more than 1 liter of the anti rust paint and even if you give 500 RS for cleaning and painting it would be less than 1000 Rs for you.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to have any underbody or over body paint protection. The present cars Come with clear coat than is thick enough to withstand 10 years of use if you wax it every 3months and wash it thoroughly every week and get the underbody washed on a ramp every 3 months.
Rusting is a problem if you live in salty coastal area and not taking good care of the car.
As someone pointed out the undersurface of new cars are galvanised and don't rust easily.
Please ask them in details what products they are going to use and let all of us in forum know about it. Your car paint and underbody will last 5 years anyway whether you do the 3m thing or not.

Rusting is a problem and those who are from coastal areas can confirm. the main areas getting signs of rusting are body panels,lid,doors etc apart from running board and under body. IMO, underbody coating may be helpful. I will also recommend Internal panel protection done properly. go for the 5 year warranty claimed undercoating from 3m or wurth.

however, I really don't know whether cars gets corroded in interior cities like in coastal areas. prevention is better than cure.

I will also recommend Internal panel protection done properly
What is this ? Is this the coating they do on the panels after removing the doorpads and the floor after removing carpet ?

Re: Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

What is this ? Is this the coating they do on the panels after removing the doorpads and the floor after removing carpet ?
Not on the inside car floor. They even dont remove the door panel. They just spray the wax type mist through some holes in the door, and bonnet using a gun and soon wax fumes start coming out from all openings.
Internally a soft wax layer is deposited on the door surface. Probably have to reapply every six month or so.

I visited a small shop dedicated to this purpose.(Underbody/Internal panel protection etc). they quoted underbody coating for Rs1400 while internal panel protection at Rs800. that I guess shows how much amount people gets looted by the dealer-service people.

this explains good. below:

Q. What are internal coatings (Internal Panel Protection)?

• Internal coatings are wax-like compounds containing rust preventive chemicals, and are applied to areas inside cavities of a car, such as the space inside the hollows of doors (door skins), fenders and frame rails.
  • They work well in areas that are difficult to reach with undercoating. Internal coatings are soft and non-curing; they have to be so because they are applied in special areas such as window channels where an ordinary undercoating would cause clogging of the window mechanism.
Q. Why do these areas (Internal Panel Areas) need protection?
  • These areas are prone to have water trapped in them during rains, or even just after a car wash
  • The trapped moisture becomes an ideal place where rust would start if the area were unprotected
Tata Motors Customer Care :: Anti-rust Treatments

I visited a small shop dedicated to this purpose.(Underbody/Internal panel protection etc). they quoted underbody coating for Rs1400 while internal panel protection at Rs800. that I guess shows how much amount people gets looted by the dealer-service people.

this explains good. below:
Did you ask what material do they use ? Is it 3M or some other brand ?
Also what type of mechanic/centre should i approach to get the work done.I mean what type of shop did you approach ? Was it a bodywork/painting shop or service shop predominantly. This will help me to find the right guy to get the job done.

And thanks a lot for this information.

Last edited:
yes, IIRC it is 3m or wurth they even showed me the paint cans and the amount needed around 1.5litres for hatchbacks(IIRC). they somehow managed to get good paints. it is a shop opened by some painting guys just near a maruti main dealer. they gets many works including brand new Skodas,VWs as well. and there are atleast 2-3 such shops here at Muvattupuzha which is a small town.
I am sure, there are many such shops existing in cities across India. never go to a workshop asking to do such jobs. I think there are kind of shops who does car detailing(not like 3m car detailing etc) like buffing etc. you can spot one in your city if you perhaps enquire at car accessories shops?

JFYI, 3m underbody coating with 2 year warranty is even available at MASS(Maruti Auth. Service stations) in my place and they asks Rs1500 for this. while I don't trust the work done there. they may be casual in their approach like not properly wash underbody, use air pressure to clean crevices and such areas and do a shoddy work - may be.

another information from the above shop - They don't have the 5 year warranty wala 3M coating which is exclusively done at dealer workshop or at 3m car detailing centres.

Last edited:

another information from the above shop - They don't have the 5 year warranty wala 3M coating which is exclusively done at dealer workshop or at 3m car detailing centres.
That means the products used in 5 year warranty underbody coating is different than 2 year warranty coating.I though that only the time duration in which they do touchup is different.

I have heard that there are two types of coatings one is thinner (like black paint) and the other is thicker rubberised one.Is this the difference between 2 year/5 year warranty coating ?

The 3M people at honda dealer quoted me 2800/- for underbody coating with 2 year warranty for my honda city .First i thought that the price was reasonable considering the fact that it is honda dealer (who charge atleast 4 times more for any work done).But now i think the price was less due to a lower grade product bieng used.

It will be nice if someone who has got the five year warranty coating done from outside ,post his experience.Till now i have only read experience of people who have got it done from the dealer while purchasing a new car.

Update : Now i have a clearer idea
IMG00023201201211140.jpg

IMG00024201201211141.jpg

this is the difference between 2yr/5yr coatings.The 2 year one is called under shield and the 5 year one is called body shutz.Now the only thing to figure out is where to get the body schutz coating.

Last edited:
exactly @Petroholic . but, do remember - there are very good underbody coats available other than 3m,wurth,dinitrol,waxoyl etc etc. I have the 2 year 3m under body coating. I will go for the 5 year under-body coat if it is ever available outside(I am searching :D ).

exactly @Petroholic . but, do remember - there are very good underbody coats available other than 3m,wurth,dinitrol,waxoyl etc etc. I have the 2 year 3m under body coating. I will go for the 5 year under-body coat if it is ever available outside(I am searching :D ).
I will take out a day and visit some of the shops and see what is available.I had already placed an order for 3M undershield can at my local painter.Will cancel it for the time bieng and see what else is available.
The problem is i dont know which of these are better.As far as i can see all are reputed companies.Even in 3M we were able to distinguish the better product only because of the warranty offered.

To protect against peeling of underbody coating provided by OEM due to hitting by stones while driving, underbody coating is a must-have.
Internal panel protection required or not required is a debatable thing. I personally believe that internal panel protection is required but ASS/dealer guys says opposite. Guys, please comment on internal panel protection required/not.

To protect against peeling of underbody coating provided by OEM due to hitting by stones while driving, underbody coating is a must-have.
Internal panel protection required or not required is a debatable thing. I personally believe that internal panel protection is required but ASS/dealer guys says opposite. Guys, please comment on internal panel protection required/not.
The internal panel protection that ASS does can be done at home.

Buy this :TUFSEAL 3852 RUST PROOFING CAVITY WAX 400ml AEROSOL + Extension nozzle | eBay

Open any of the rubber dampners on the doors and spray till mist starts coming out of each opening and the drainage holes in the door. Let it dip and dry. You are done.

I am not marketing tufseal, there may be others that sell in the market as well.

Rusting is a problem and those who are from coastal areas can confirm. the main areas getting signs of rusting are body panels,lid,doors etc apart from running board and under body.

however, I really don't know whether cars gets corroded in interior cities like in coastal areas. prevention is better than cure.
I live in costal area & our water is hard (high salt content). But I had never heard of underbody or anti-rust treatment until I had been to this board. I had cars since 22 years from different companies, changed every 4-5 years, but never advised such treatment by any dealer or never had such problem in my or mine known persons/relatives any car (last car Innova was since 9 years with me).

However I am sincerely thinking about antirust treatment for my new car as I do believe "Prevention is better than cure". However ultimate decision will be after discussion with 3M people.

Top Bottom