Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

Re: Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

We are all learning by following and asking others. Though I am old man, I came to know many things about how to do a proper task from enthusiastic youngsters like dear Shashi, sumitsinha, Harsh. What Im supposed to do at 20 plus, Im doing at 70 plus.

If you get Zinc Chrome Epoxy primer, it is good because it gives strong bonding to the metal. Then applying 4950 helps. Worst come worst, you can give 2 coats of 4941 if you don't get Zinc Chrome.

Even 1 1/4 litres of 4950 was sufficient ( without diluting) for my M- 800 underbody and Floor coats. Im left with 3/4th can of 4950 and shall give to any friend who will do underbody coating in Mangalore. Since it is opened, it can not be transported, otherwise I could have sent it to you. Because the product to be used within about 12 months after opening the can. Who knows it may become harder later or may be it is their marketing plans and For safety reason they send it by Road transport only.
Hello,

Wow, 70 plus! Looking at the work you have done on your White Angel, you look no less then enthusiastic youngster. Hats off to you sir. [cheers]

Early today I have spent some time to research about Zinc Chrome Epoxy primer and found that its a nasty thing. Indeed its a more robust and effective corrosion inhibitor but on the other hand its potential carcinogenic(cancer causing chemical) health hazard for those who use it. Hence in the USA most companies have stopped using zinc chromate as a primer. So now I am hesitating to go for Zinc Chromate Primer.

Also I have found that zinc phosphate primer is the best alternative to Chromate and the Asian paint yellow metal primer I have is based on Zinc Phosphate.

Anyway, Today I have spent whole day cleaning my car underbody running board, wheels, wheel well and etc. It was harder because I didn't remove wheels (Elders are always right) and dirtiest job I have ever done. Took me hours to clean mud and stains, yet couldn't do 100%. Factory coating on chassis is good enough and rustfree but minor rust has occurred wherever the coating is stripped by damages (i.e bottom hits, stone chips).

Next, I have used Krud Kutter The Must For Rust on rusted areas and with an hour of multiple applications, it cleaned most of the rust. Its a wonderful product. Finally rinsed with clean water as instructed.

Factory coating on wheel well:
CR_ANHC09_Rear_Wheel_Well_001.jpg
CR_ANHC09_Rear_Wheel_Well_002.jpg

Before:
CR_ANHC09_Rust_Before_001.jpg
CR_ANHC09_Rust_Before_002.jpg
CR_ANHC09_Rust_Before_003.jpg

After:
CR_ANHC09_Rust_After_001.jpg
CR_ANHC09_Rust_After_002.jpg

Tomorrow, I will reuse rust remover and get rid of more rust, then I will use RC800 on wherever there was rusted.

This is a Exhaust Heat Shield that was too dirty and had plenty of rust spots. First I cleaned it with water, shampoo and scrub. Then kept it wet under rust remover. Finally after rewashing, it became good as new. [:D]
CR_ANHC09_Exhaust_Heat_Shield.jpg

Thanks...
Best Regards

Hello,

Wow, 70 plus! Looking at the work you have done on your White Angel, you look no less then enthusiastic youngster. Hats off to you sir. [cheers]

Early today I have spent some time to research about Zinc Chrome Epoxy primer and found that its a nasty thing. Indeed its a more robust and effective corrosion inhibitor but on the other hand its potential carcinogenic(cancer causing chemical) health hazard for those who use it. Hence in the USA most companies have stopped using zinc chromate as a primer. So now I am hesitating to go for Zinc Chromate Primer.

Also I have found that zinc phosphate primer is the best alternative to Chromate and the Asian paint yellow metal primer I have is based on Zinc Phosphate.

Anyway, Today I have spent whole day cleaning my car underbody running board, wheels, wheel well and etc. It was harder because I didn't remove wheels (Elders are always right) and dirtiest job I have ever done. Took me hours to clean mud and stains, yet couldn't do 100%. Factory coating on chassis is good enough and rustfree but minor rust has occurred wherever the coating is stripped by damages (i.e bottom hits, stone chips).

Next, I have used Krud Kutter The Must For Rust on rusted areas and with an hour of multiple applications, it cleaned most of the rust. Its a wonderful product. Finally rinsed with clean water as instructed.

Factory coating on wheel well:
View attachment 228295
View attachment 228296

Before:
View attachment 228299
View attachment 228300
View attachment 228301

After:
View attachment 228297
View attachment 228298

Tomorrow, I will reuse rust remover and get rid of more rust, then I will use RC800 on wherever there was rusted.

This is a Exhaust Heat Shield that was too dirty and had plenty of rust spots. First I cleaned it with water, shampoo and scrub. Then kept it wet under rust remover. Finally after rewashing, it became good as new. [:D]
View attachment 228294

Thanks...
Best Regards
Well done task on free sunday. Thank you for your kind words.

As regards, Zinc Chromate I did read that it is not used in USA. While spraying or applying one has to be careful and cover the face with mask. So also while applying any other coating. one should use hand gloves, mask, safety glasses and cover the head too. In India and in other countries it is still used for ships and also in all Refineries and Chemical plants as primer because it gives better protection to the base metal. Once it is dried ( within 20-30 minutes) it is like a solid coat on the surfaces. of course 2nd coat of rust proofing painting is done in the plants. Majority of Refineries, power plants n chemical plants use Zinc Aluminum coating ( very expensive) for protection as well as for better look too.

I see some rusting and corroded points in the photos you have attached. Once you clean and remove all those rusting points, protection to be done at the earliest by drying , otherwise moisture during the monsoon will again attack those spots. Pls do also check flooring by removing the carpet. You can use a big mirror to check any rusting points at the underbody. Because chasis and other MS components are the areas those develop rusting.

Good luck to you.
Regards

Last edited:
NEXA Teflon & Chassis Paint

Hey Guys,
I have the booked the Ciaz (Delta Petrol, Nexa blue). I am currently based in Guwahati. I was recommended by the showroom folks that I get the chassis painting and Teflon done and it comes with a warranty of 3 years.

I want to know, is it worth the money (Rs 4200 each) or i shall get a better deal if I get such detailings from outside?

Thanks in advance.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: NEXA Teflon and chassis paint

Hey Guys,
I have the booked the Ciaz (Delta Petrol, Nexa blue). I am currently based in Guwahati. I was recommended by the showroom folks that I get the chassis painting and Teflon done and it comes with a warranty of 3 years.

I want to know, is it worth the money (Rs 4200 each) or i shall get a better deal if I get such detailings from outside?
Firstly bro congrats for the new car. The items suggested by the Nexa guys is absolute waste of money. There is no need for chassis paint etc. For Teflon if you feel it is very much needed then better check with the 3M guys otherwise even the Teflon isn't of much use in my view.

Regards

Akash

Wow! That was brutally honest reply man! Thanks

The thing is I stay in Guwahati which is known for heavy rainfall. Is the undercar paint totally worthless??

Akash1886

Honoured Member

The thing is I stay in Guwahati which is known for heavy rainfall. Is the undercar paint totally worthless??
In that case bro get the anti rust coating from 3M. That will do the needful. I am telling you frankly, all these items as suggested are just gimmicks for milking the customers. Don't people buy cars in Mumbai which also gets rainfall and cars there are more prone to rust etc. A better alternative than Nexa will be 3M. Also you can supervise the job in person @ 3M which in all probability will not be allowed by Nexa. Customers are not allowed on work floor you see.

Regards

Akash

Wow! That was brutally honest reply man! Thanks

AFAIK, the underbody already has a company painted Rustfree coat on the chassis.
This is all Marketing tricks. Also the quote is higher i guess, you can avail the the same services at better prices from the market.
Nexa also sell accessory packages in different prices and scare the customers in the name of warranty.
I altered their package list and only added Seat Covers and Leather Floor Matting with few other small items as i wanted a fully ready car from day 1.

I second Akash , if you really want to get it done go for 3M (not sure if showrooms are in Guwahati) or get 3M material from online and ask any trusted garage to apply it.

@docraz, Regular wash with 3M Shampoo ( costing Rs 395 and lasts for about 3/4 months ) and using WAXPOL ( costing Rs 345) before and after Monsoon can keep your car shining. Available on AMAZON or in any local auto shop.

You can do polishing of your car with waxpol yourself after washing your car and drying it. ::::When I do these tasks at 70 plus myself, a young man like you can also do it more effectively. you can watch the photos of my 20 yrs old M- 800 car still shinning at few threads of M- 800.

@docraz, Regular wash with 3M Shampoo ( costing Rs 395 and lasts for about 3/4 months ) and using WAXPOL ( costing Rs 345) before and after Monsoon can keep your car shining. Available on AMAZON or in any local auto shop.

You can do polishing of your car with waxpol yourself after washing your car and drying it. ::::When I do these tasks at 70 plus myself, a young man like you can also do it more effectively. you can watch the photos of my 20 yrs old M- 800 car still shinning at few threads of M- 800.
That’s intensely motivating sir. Thank you !!

Top Bottom