Tyre Upgrade For My Hyundai Grand i10

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAI! I am looking to upgrade the stock tyres in my Hyundai Grand i10 Asta. The current set of wheels are 165/65 R14 from Apollo. Overall, the road grip in both dry and wet conditions have so far been adequate. In the city, its performance has been quite good. I usually drive a lot on highways and maintain a good 140+ kmph speeds over lengthy periods, again very much depending on the quality of roads and incoming traffic. These tyres have good cornering grip up to around 120 kmph. Post this speed, there is a little nervous feeling when cornering. I have traveled ~21,000 km so far and the tyres are still doing good. Yet, I need a set of tyres which offers even better road grip at higher speeds and also which have lower noise levels with good durability.

What are my options? Should I up-size to 15 inch wheels? Should i stay with R14 and get wider wheels? How will these changes impact the mileage? Any other factors I need to consider before changing my car tyres? What brands should I consider? Where in Bangalore can I get my tyres changed? I stay in Jayanagar. Is there any place nearby that can guide me? Any TAI recommended shops?

Last edited:
You can upsize your tyres upto 185/55/R14 only if you want to stick to your OEM alloys. But if you want better grip at high speeds then you upsize to 15" Rims with wider tyres.

Thread Starter #3
You can upsize your tyres upto 185/55/R14 only if you want to stick to your OEM alloys. But if you want better grip at high speeds then you upsize to 15" Rims with wider tyres.
Thanks Phukan! How much of a difference would 185/55 R14 and 185/60 R14 make? Will up-sizing the tyres to 15 inch put any kind of strain on the car's suspension especially when on load? I have read that this can become a problem in the long run. Is this true?

I usually drive a lot on highways and maintain a good 140+ kmph speeds over lengthy periods, again very much depending on the quality of roads and incoming traffic
Hello icecoldspira

I am also a Grand i10 owner and would first and foremost suggest you to make 120 kmph as your speed limit. No matter how good the road conditions are, this car has one of the lightest EPS and the car would literally take seconds to topple and go out of control in case of an emergency move. On a private road or track, things are safe as long as one keeps in mind the capabilities of Grand i10. I am speaking from experience, mine was on the verge of getting out of control when I had to avoid a big pothole at much less speed (70-80 kmph max.). The change in direction was deadly and without any feedback, as if driving in a video game. Thankfully there was an open ground beside where I could gain control.

Coming back to topic :

I have traveled ~21,000 km so far and the tyres are still doing good.
Worst time to change tyres. You will literally get peanuts in exchange. Either stick with stock till they wear out or consider giving away the current ones. :biggrin:

Yet, I need a set of tyres which offers even better road grip at higher speeds and also which have lower noise levels with good durability
For less road noise, good comfort and decent grip, I would have suggested soft compound tyres like Michelin. But since you need good durability as well, consider other brands as most Michelins wear out pretty fast. A friend uses Earth 1 tyres from Yokohama and they are very good even after 15k kms. I have been through many tyre brands to be true, so can't comment more than this.

What are my options?
Get better rubber in stock size, get better rubber with more width in 14"or get better rubber in 15".

Should I up-size to 15 inch wheels?
Depends on your budget. Bigger wheels will improve cornering and stability but will hamper comfort.

Any other factors I need to consider before changing my car tyres?
Warranty, steering and fear of scraping wheel arches. Anything other than stock size and Hyundai might not approve your warranty claims related to suspension, wheels and related components. Wider tyres will make the steering wheel heavier, which is a blessing in fact for us Grand i10 owners, and if the tyres/alloys stick out too much, they may foul with the wheel arches on full load.

Should i stay with R14 and get wider wheels?
I would suggest getting 15" tyres and alloy wheels. Since you are risking warranty, why not go all out and enjoy the handling instead of having a thought of "What if I had gone for 15 inchers" at the back of your mind. If your drive is majorly on highways, 15" will do fine. Wear the current set out and go for 15" alloys and tyres IMO.

How will these changes impact the mileage?
Negligible difference.

Regards,
Alpha

Thread Starter #5
Hey Alpha! Firstly thanks a lot for the detailed explanation on my queries! Really appreciate it.

I am also a Grand i10 owner and would first and foremost suggest you to make 120 kmph as your speed limit. No matter how good the road conditions are, this car has one of the lightest EPS and the car would literally take seconds to topple and go out of control in case of an emergency move. On a private road or track, things are safe as long as one keeps in mind the capabilities of Grand i10. I am speaking from experience, mine was on the verge of getting out of control when I had to avoid a big pothole at much less speed (70-80 kmph max.). The change in direction was deadly and without any feedback, as if driving in a video game. Thankfully there was an open ground beside where I could gain control.
With respect to the driving speeds, I respect your views and I fully agree with you that safety always comes first and there cannot be any second chances. However, on a personal experience driving the car, I think the Grand i10 handles really well up to around 140 kmph. Once we cross this level, I can no longer maintain speeds when cornering. i have to slow down. Once it reaches around 160 kmph, its too much to handle. This is my personal opinion and I may be wrong. These speeds are attainable on 4 lane super fast highways like the Bangalore-Mangalore toll roads or the NICE roads in Bangalore. In the city, I hardly get a chance to push my car to the 4th gear!

I would suggest getting 15" tyres and alloy wheels. Since you are risking warranty, why not go all out and enjoy the handling instead of having a thought of "What if I had gone for 15 inchers" at the back of your mind. If your drive is majorly on highways, 15" will do fine. Wear the current set out and go for 15" alloys and tyres IMO.
My only concern with the 15 inch tyres is if it is going to look a little too big for the car. The car's warranty will expire in Feb 2017 so these upgrades will take place only post this time.

My only concern with the 15 inch tyres is if it is going to look a little too big for the car. The car's warranty will expire in Feb 2017 so these upgrades will take place only post this time.
I don't think a +1 upsize would look bad on most of the cars but yes, Grand i10's wheel arches are small and even the company fitted 14 inchers fill them adequately. So 14" vs 15" is one tough choice you have to make.

I searched online forums but Grand i10/Xcent with 15" setup is a hard find. Since I am a bit short of time, you can check out Post #4829, 4830 and 4842 yourself from below link (Team BHP Forum) for 14" with wider rubber setup and decide.

The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims! - Page 322 - Team-BHP

Regards,
Alpha

Thread Starter #7
I searched online forums but Grand i10/Xcent with 15" setup is a hard find. Since I am a bit short of time, you can check out Post #4829, 4830 and 4842 yourself from below link (Team BHP Forum) for 14" with wider rubber setup and decide.
I looked at those pics in TBhp. I must admit those yoko tyres are mind blowing. Its sure to turn heads. However, i think he has done an upsize to 15 inch wheels and what is worrying is that even when it is not in load, there is very little gap between the tyre and the wheel arch. I have a feeling the tyre may hit the wall when run through potholes a humps which is very common in our country!

However, i think he has done an upsize to 15 inch wheels and what is worrying is that even when it is not in load, there is very little gap between the tyre and the wheel arch.
If you are referring to the Silver Grand i10 with Onyx wheels, they are 14" only but look better because of their design.

Quoting the Team BHP member's words -

Swapped the stock Apollo tyres for 185/60 R14 Yokohama Earth1s and added Onyx wheels to enhance the otherwise boring exterior. The good thing is that I got a buyback price of Rs.3k per tyre since they had been used for approx 60kms. The wheels are 14 inchers from ONYX costing approx 18.5k.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value - Team-BHP

Regards,
Alpha

Thread Starter #9
Interesting! This has been a very interesting thread. Any Grand i10 owners, please do share your thoughts or experiences on any upgrades made.

I am considering the 185/60 R14 tyres.

It is very hard to find a tyre or a good tyre of 185/55 R14.

Hello TAI! I am looking to upgrade the stock tyres in my Hyundai Grand i10 Asta. The current set of wheels are 165/65 R14 from Apollo. Overall, the road grip in both dry and wet conditions have so far been adequate. In the city, its performance has been quite good. I usually drive a lot on highways and maintain a good 140+ kmph speeds over lengthy periods, again very much depending on the quality of roads and incoming traffic. These tyres have good cornering grip up to around 120 kmph. Post this speed, there is a little nervous feeling when cornering. I have traveled ~21,000 km so far and the tyres are still doing good. Yet, I need a set of tyres which offers even better road grip at higher speeds and also which have lower noise levels with good durability.

What are my options? Should I up-size to 15 inch wheels? Should i stay with R14 and get wider wheels? How will these changes impact the mileage? Any other factors I need to consider before changing my car tyres? What brands should I consider? Where in Bangalore can I get my tyres changed? I stay in Jayanagar. Is there any place nearby that can guide me? Any TAI recommended shops?
In your case side wall and tyre diameter is very important, since 165/65 provide a very less margin for side wall. If you increase the width of the tyre say 185 or 195 then the margin for sidewall decreases to accommodate the tyre properly in the i10's wheel arc.

Normally in INDIA we need some cushion for bad roads. So automotive companies prefer big sidewall.

Also the perfect upgrade for your car would be 185/60 R14. If you move to 15" then the side wall will get smaller result in a little bad ride. Also there are very less chance to get better options for 195/50 R15 tyres, plus you will have to test those tyres for extreme right and left steer on flat road, extreme right and left steer on bumpy road.

I would suggest to stick on 14" and go with 185/60R14.

Michelin XM2 or BridgeStone 290 may be options for you. You can also check if you could get Continental. Avoid these brands [Apollo/Falken/Goodyear] in this tyre size.

Sorry for digging out an old thread folks. I use a grand i10 too and my car's tyres are almost completely worn out.

Planning to change my car tyres to either ones from Michelin or Yokohama. Getting a great deal on Michelin but for 165/70 and not the default 165/65. I guess this adds around 10mm diameter to the tyres.

So will opting 165/70 instead of 165/65 be a problem? I am getting a quote of Rs. 3600 for 165/70 and Rs. 4300 for 165/65 for each Michelin XM2 tyre.

Sorry for digging out an old thread folks. I use a grand i10 too and my car's tyres are almost completely worn out.

Planning to change my car tyres to either ones from Michelin or Yokohama. Getting a great deal on Michelin but for 165/70 and not the default 165/65. I guess this adds around 10mm diameter to the tyres.

So will opting 165/70 instead of 165/65 be a problem? I am getting a quote of Rs. 3600 for 165/70 and Rs. 4300 for 165/65 for each Michelin XM2 tyre.
165/70 wont be problem for you. Just 10 mm of diameter wont be problem for you in any case. Michelin and Yoko's are soft tyre with lot of grip.

Top Bottom