Tyre Tips and Maintenance

This is quite strange,
An old tyre might Puncture, Loose grip or just explode.
But going blunt after the trip?

Are you sure the pressures were correct?
yes pressure ws checked befre starting back frm hyd. speeds were between 90 and 130. The heat was so itense. i was also suprised to see the wear.

One more question I have about nitrogen. I know topup will only be required once in 3 months, I still don't know the science behind it but thats what I read.

But in case you are in need of a topup in a place where nitrogen is not available, then do you top up with regular air? anybody know?

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
One more question I have about nitrogen. I know topup will only be required once in 3 months, I still don't know the science behind it but thats what I read.

But in case you are in need of a topup in a place where nitrogen is not available, then do you top up with regular air? anybody know?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kmnZ4-EUbIk

stay away from nitrogen.

Hope this is a right thread to ask,

After a leakage due to nail from the road - What to do ?

1. Repair the Tyre at shop (From Tyre Wala) by Plug method ?

2. Patch Method from inside ?

- The said tyre is quite good condition and no noticeable wear or tear - only one nail causing slow air leakage.

Any experts / experienced owner can confirm if this statement is true :

Plug Method = Temporary Fix, Patch Method = Permanent Fix <--- True ??

Last edited:
- The said tyre is quite good condition and no noticeable wear or tear - only one nail causing slow air leakage.
1. Is this a "tubeless" tyre or an older tyre with seperate tube inside?

If its NOT a tubeless tyre just replace the tube.

If its a tubeless tyre also just buy a new tube of the right size and you may use the tyre with that but if the other tyres are tubeless just keep in mind that one is a tyre with a separate tube. It does make a difference. You can also use it as a spare tyre or use it only for city driving.

If its a tubeless tyre and it starts leaking air I believe ideally one is expected to throw it away but have also seen workshops advertising "tubeless tyre puncture repair".

Last edited:
^^^ It is not so old Tubeless Tyre without anything in it - The Tyre didn't clock many miles as there are less usage of the Car and this is the first puncture.

All 4 Tyre are Tubeless - If I installed a Tube I loose the benefit of Tubeless.

- All my life I used Tubed Tyre in a bike - I know the pain with tubed tyre - Can't take night Highways, Always plan to use those roads which got roadside puncture shop at night and stuck in traffic - and come nearing home before dark etc etc.

Or

Do I keep Driving with nail ON and Feel Air Every day until the tyre gave up ?

Example ; yestarday I drove almost 100km and today the air level is 25 psi - before yesterday journey I inflate the tyre 36 psi as recommended.

Last edited:
^^^ It is not so old Tubeless Tyre without anything in it - The Tyre didn't clock many miles as there are less usage of the Car and this is the first puncture.

All 4 Tyre are Tubeless - If I installed a Tube I loose the benefit of Tubeless.

- All my life I used Tubed Tyre in a bike - I know the pain with tubed tyre - Can't take night Highways, Always plan to use those roads which got roadside puncture shop at night and stuck in traffic - and come nearing home before dark etc etc.

Or

Do I keep Driving with nail ON and Feel Air Every day until the tyre gave up ?

Example ; yestarday I drove almost 100km and today the air level is 25 psi - before yesterday journey I inflate the tyre 36 psi as recommended.
If you are having loss of pressure, you have a slow leak. Get a puncture patch. If tyre is out of warranty, get a tube for it. Tgis doesn't convert it to a tube type tyre, just guves it the additional protection so that it doesnt blow out at speed. Only remember to put the tube in both side tyres. If you still have concern, use these tyres as rear tyres or keep the punctured obe as spare

Ameyam

If you are having loss of pressure, you have a slow leak. Get a puncture patch. If tyre is out of warranty, get a tube for it. Tgis doesn't convert it to a tube type tyre, just guves it the additional protection so that it doesnt blow out at speed. Only remember to put the tube in both side tyres. If you still have concern, use these tyres as rear tyres or keep the punctured obe as spare

Ameyam
Thanks Ameyam for your suggestion - Just to be clear -> Here 'Puncture Patch' mean the put patch from inside of the Tyre by removing the tyre from the Rim ? Right ?

Please let me know (noob question) -

1. As suggested about installing Tube - Say if another new nail or something go through the Tyre and penetrate Tube Wall the Tyre will be flat and out of Air the minute it hit the Tube Wall Right ? Please confirm this...

2. So both Tyre in the same Axle need to be Tubed - I understand this part - But if I do that - I need to Shift those Tyre (Tube Installed) at the back because there is Less Load ? Right ?

Please let me know....

--------------------------------------
So you had a long drive I presume[clap]. How was the performance of your Ritz except decline in tyre pressure level? [:)]
NO - This is my normal usage - When ever I'm able take out her from my congested place (as you know) she usually clocked 110 - 137 km in a Day. Speaking of decline of Tyre pressure - Feeling None - Only after 24 / 36 hours affected Tyre got Bulge at the bottom other three tight and straight.

Wish I can take her out to a Long Drive - such as PURI.

Last edited:
Thanks Ameyam for your suggestion - Just to be clear -> Here 'Puncture Patch' mean the put patch from inside of the Tyre by removing the tyre from the Rim ? Right ?

Please let me know (noob question) -

1. As suggested about installing Tube - Say if another new nail or something go through the Tyre and penetrate Tube Wall the Tyre will be flat and out of Air the minute it hit the Tube Wall Right ? Please confirm this...

2. So both Tyre in the same Axle need to be Tubed - I understand this part - But if I do that - I need to Shift those Tyre (Tube Installed) at the back because there is Less Load ? Right ?

Please let me know....

--------------------------------------

NO - This is my normal usage - When ever I'm able take out her from my congested place (as you know) she usually clocked 110 - 137 km in a Day. Speaking of decline of Tyre pressure - Feeling None - Only after 24 / 36 hours affected Tyre got Bulge at the bottom other three tight and straight.

Puncture patch is to path the tyre from inside by taking it off the rim.

In either case, if you put a tube inside, the chance of a external object puncturing both the carcass and the tube is rather remote.

In a front wheel drive car, the front tyres both accelerate as well as steer. So they face a lot of wear and tear, the rear tyres just roll, so face less wear. Therefore, shifting your iffy tyres to the rear will help.

HOWEVER, if your tyre has developed a bulge, its done for and you need a new set (both sides)

Ameyam

HOWEVER, if your tyre has developed a bulge, its done for and you need a new set (both sides)

Ameyam
Thanks Ameyam for your help - it's clear my all doubt - Thank You.

As I mentioned Bulge in the last post - I mean if the tyre not properly inflated for a long time there is bulge or Tap formation at the bottom due to less Air - That happen after clocking mentioned KMs and that 24 hours later. And the PSI low 10-15.

If the Car not go out this PSI reading comes in 2 weeks Standing time - Once inflated it become normal Straight and Tight - No bulge.

So I think Tyre is OK - need to fix the puncture.

Arijitb said:
-----------------------------------

That's a nice idea. But did you go Santiniketan? As far I know road is good. But each time you drove 110-137 Km that's very encouraging[clap]. Is that non stop or taking brief stop? If you are willing for Santiniketan I am ready to follow[:D]. Puri is more than 400 Km I presume, a very long journey.[roll]

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom