Tyre Tips and Maintenance

@ Sam - I tried to send you a pm last week but it seems your box is full.

Some tyre manufacturers recommend that you replace all 4 tyres at the same time and that they should all be of the same brand.
Is this correct or just self-serving sales talk?
I am planning to replace 2 back tyres with 155/70/r13 yokos.
If it goes well then switch the 155s to the front and put 165s at the back, your views?

Its good if you could replace all four tires at once. Having the same tread pattern is highly desirable - try running with a Nike on your left leg and a Reebok on your right one and you would understand what I am trying to say.

If you are not in the mood to change all four at once, change 2 rear tires as you have mentioned first and then change the front ones as and when the need/itch arises. Going for different sizes is not advisable at all - the Zen is a humdrum everyday car and not a racing machine.

p.s.: What happened to your Sierra hunt?

To add from my experience:-

Set the Wheel Alignment: Wheels are aligned when all of them face an exact same direction. Well-aligned wheels ensure a smooth ride with less wear impact on the tyres. On the other hand, wheels that are not aligned bear more friction causing a rapid wear. Not only this, but unaligned wheels can also compromise the safety of passengers and increase the fuel consumption to a significant level.

Replace the valves each time you fit the wheel Valves and valve caps are very small in size but very high in utility, as they can hold the pressure inside the tyre. They can also be used to extract out some air if the tyre is over-inflated. As valves are made of rubber, they deteriorate very quickly. So each time you fit the wheel, try to replace old valves with the new ones. This is certainly an inexpensive maintenance tip, but can increase the life of your tyres to a great extent.

Replace the tyre rather than repairing it: It is often asked that after how many repairs a tyre should be replaced. Well, this can only be answered by an expert after analyzing the condition of your tyre. It also depends on whether the tyre has undergone major-repairs or minor-repairs. We suggest replacing the tyre after a couple of major-repairs.

Improve your driving skills: The lifespan of your tyres is also majorly dependent on the way you drive. Applying forceful brakes frequently and pushing the accelerating pedal suddenly lead to rapid wearing of your tyres. Drive calmly and take time to accelerate and decelerate the car to put less pressure on the wheels.

A couple of years back, i have changed the air in my tyres to nitrogen. Mine is wagonr with stock tires- JK and done 40K. No issues for this and my frequency of checking the pressure reduced to once in two month. It is a tubeless tyre. So i recommend this

Hi everyone,
Yesterday I saw cut marks on my cars rear wire side tyre. Cur marks are on the side wall not deep, looks like someone make them intentionally using blade or some sharp object[sad]. 1 Week ago the car make return trip of 500 Kms via yamuna expressway, and thank good tyres don't give any problem[:)]. So the question is the tyres need replacement? or any repairing is available. They only run 18K and tread are absolutely fine.

Attachments

Mrigank, I think the cut is not deep at all. after through cleaning of the affected portion a rubber or silicone based glue should be applied. Then monitor that portion for a month and it it does not come out then you solved it.

I am searching for tyre 155/65 RS12 for nano. I always used MRF in 2 wheeler no idea for cars. Selected few tyre brands with same profile available in the market.

1.MRF - ZEC - 155/65 R12 (71 S)
MRF in normal/wet conditions. I find MRF OK but not effective in rains.Only manufacturing defect warranty
2.Ceat - Milaze - 155/65R12
Giving 2 years unconditional warranty of 50%.
3.Bridgestone - B 290 - 155/65 R12 (71 T)
Only manufacturing defect warranty
4.Apollo - Amazer 3G - 155/65 R12 (71 S)
5.Yokohama - A539 - 165/60 - 12 71 H
Only manufacturing defect warranty. I find difficult in placing stock rear tyre in Stephanie area, what would happen with this 165 profile? Any one replaced can please confirm.

Which tyre brand is better than MRF for regular use normal/wet conditions. I have completed near about 24k, road conditions, envy people make the tyre out of life. Recently rear left tyre got cut if near about 1/2" inch because of one unseen pothole in night. Don't know if rubber plugs can do the job, I fixed two rubber plug in the cut and kept tyre under observation, there is no loss in air but no idea if that survive the pressure of moving car. Also both tyres replacement is mandatory or single can be replaced? I already said have no experience of tyres when comes to cars. Thanks for every one help.

I am searching for tyre 155/65 RS12 for nano. I always used MRF in 2 wheeler no idea for cars. Selected few tyre brands with same profile available in the market.

1.MRF - ZEC - 155/65 R12 (71 S)
MRF in normal/wet conditions. I find MRF OK but not effective in rains.Only manufacturing defect warranty
2.Ceat - Milaze - 155/65R12
Giving 2 years unconditional warranty of 50%.
3.Bridgestone - B 290 - 155/65 R12 (71 T)
4.Apollo - Amazer 3G - 155/65 R12 (71 S)
5.Yokohama - A539 - 165/60 - 12 71 H
Only manufacturing defect warranty. I find difficult in placing stock rear tyre in Stephanie area, what would happen with this 165 profile? Any one replaced can please confirm.

Which tyre brand is better than MRF for regular use normal/wet conditions. I have completed near about 24k, road conditions, envy people make the tyre out of life. Recently rear left tyre got cut if near about 1/2" inch because of one unseen pothole in night. Don't know if rubber plugs can do the job, I fixed two rubber plug in the cut and kept tyre under observation, there is no loss in air but no idea if that survive the pressure of moving car. Also both tyres replacement is mandatory or single can be replaced? I already said have no experience of tyres when comes to cars. Thanks for every one help.
Replace the cut tyre from service. Bridgestone is the best sturdy and comfortable tyre in my opinion. Mrf zec is also good, but hardens faster with age. Yoko is no no for our conditions. I have even found Michelin's to be too soft for our roads.

long crack on tyre

Shown below are pictures of right hand rear tyre. It is 1.5 years and 16000kms old. I noticed today a long cut between the treads. Do you think its a manufacturing defect? This tyre has not bothered me till now and there have been no punctures on this at all. This cut covers almost the entire circumference of the tyre. I went to the mrf dealer where I bought this and he said that it was probably cut when its cover was being removed by a knife at the time. Is this tyre safe to use?

P_20150723_104751.jpg

P_20150723_110657.jpg

P_20150723_110703.jpg

Top Bottom