Tyre Selection: XM2 vs Earth1 vs GY ATM vs CC5 vs ER300 vs...

Hello all:

I will be taking delivery of new vento highline plus which comes in 195/55R16 tyres of apollo. I am planning to do a tyre upgrade as soon as I take delivery of the vechicle.

I have the following questions:
1: if I stick to the same since since upgrading tyre size will have an effect on warranty, then my options are Michelin XM2 and continental mc5 which one should I choose.. would like good comfort ride/ excellent grip and breaking.
2: if I decide to upsize to 205/55/R16 what are the benefits. Also will upsizing make the tyres touch any part of the vechicle with 5 people on board. If I decide to upsize will it improve comfort and handling drastically considering I will be voiding the warranty... does it have any downside on the vechicle and its suspension...lastly which tyres will you recommend for this Michelin or continental.

Tanks in advance...

kkn13

Suspended
Id suggest dont immediately upsize while in your warranty period, suspension more specifically

195 is an excellent tyre size and adequate for now

Ok then will stick to 195, in that case i would like to immediately change the stock tyres which are apollo, have had really bad experience with them.

My 2 options are Michelin XM2 and Continental MC5.

I would like to have good ride quality and excellent grip. which one should i go for?

kkn13

Suspended
tough to say, Ive only had Michelins, never had Continental and Apollo
Michelins are very silent and fantastic tyres but they were too soft for bad roads when I had them
I blame the roads more but I went for Goodyear after that(dont buy good year though), noisier tyres but very abuse friendly and pretty good grip for non-Michelin
I also put MRF on my Ritz after stock JK, again very abuse friendly but terrible grip and noise

Thread Starter #51
Hello all:

I will be taking delivery of new vento highline plus which comes in 195/55R16 tyres of apollo. I am planning to do a tyre upgrade as soon as I take delivery of the vechicle.

I have the following questions:
1: if I stick to the same since since upgrading tyre size will have an effect on warranty, then my options are Michelin XM2 and continental mc5 which one should I choose.. would like good comfort ride/ excellent grip and breaking.
2: if I decide to upsize to 205/55/R16 what are the benefits. Also will upsizing make the tyres touch any part of the vechicle with 5 people on board. If I decide to upsize will it improve comfort and handling drastically considering I will be voiding the warranty... does it have any downside on the vechicle and its suspension...lastly which tyres will you recommend for this Michelin or continental.

Tanks in advance...
Why do you want to replace or upsize the tyres? What बाद experience did you have of Apolos?

For ride quality +grip go for xm2.

For grip + economy (money), go for MC5

Last edited:
The stock tyres that came with my 2011 vento was apollo and in the first month i had 2 punctures, all 4 tyres barely lasted 25000 km with multiple punctures on every tyre and even though my 80 % driving was within city and not on bad or no roads, just the regular potholes. I changed all 4 tyres to BS(B250) and have since driven 40000 km with just 1 puncture till date, also felt a world of difference when changed from Apollo to BS in terms of grip and ride comfort. Now even the new vento hl+ is coming with Apollo and i dont want to undergo the same experience again, so decided to change as soon as i get my vehicle. After reading lot of reviews, seems Michelin is even better than BS when it comes to ride quality/comfort/grip, also read some good reviews about Continental. Hence decided to either choose between one of them either XM2 or MC5. Any inputs ???

Thread Starter #53
I have experience of all three.

Xm2 are anyday better than mc5 & Bridgestone,
Only downside is possibility of side wall bulge if you are not careful to avoid the pothole craters.

Budget brands like Federal,Nankang etc are also there (Hard rubber,better thread design ,low budget)-These lasts for 35-40k km .So those who are looking forward to sell the car in such duration can adopt these.

Only one issue with michelin is ,for maintaining their quality ,they have specific inside and outside markings,so can't switch the sides,so in case of rides having uneven thread wear issue ,one can't do switching positions from rim and only option is changing the tyre.

Apollo alnac 4g is gaining popularity ,how's it ?

Bridgestone too is made of hard rubber but its slightly of higher durability than Federal,nankang etc.

As mentioned above would like to stay away from apollo based on the previous experience mentioned above. M now more inclined towards Michelin XM2, the only other choice i thought was continental MC5. BS tyres do last quite long have been riding on then for the past 40000 km and i think they can still go another 10000 km. I am okay changing the tyre between 35/40000 km. Looking majorly for ride comfort and excellent dry/wet grip. In all probability will go with XM2.

I had initially thought of starting a new thread on my tyre upgrade, but thankfully found this one. Went through all the replies and suggestions too.

My Punto is due for its 2nd tyre change. I had replaced the stock JK Tyre 165/80 R14 with Apollo Accelere 195/60 R15 (upgraded the rims too, from 14" steel to 15" alloys) at around 42k Kms on the odo. It is now around 78k Kms and the shoulder on the front two of my Acceleres have nearly ripped off with the steel wires lay threadbare. I am guessing this was due to improper alignment and irregular WA/WB (my father uses this car). Temporarily I have swapped them with the rear two tires (which are more than in perfect shape and thread, easily 5K Kms more in them). While the Acceleres have been okay in the handling part, they are pathetic in wear and tear and I have had 5-6 punctures in the ~35K Kms that it has been shod on. The current spare tyre even has a bad sidewall cut which is patched. The road sound is also very high on these.

I am planning to change all 5 to new ones. The following is what I have come to (keeping the size same, 195/60 R15):
1. Bridgestone Turanza ER60
2. Yokohama Earth-1
3. Michelin XM2
4. Yokohama C.Drive

In relation to the above, which one do you folks suggest? The car is driven generally in the city, but many, many long trips (1000 Km+) have been a regular feature too. I drive quite hard on the highway and very carefully in the city. My primary need is for a tyre which can take a lot of beating (less punctures and bulges) and be low on wear and tear, be low on road noise (a little is acceptable) and have good drip/handling on dry as well as wet surfaces.
I personally like the BS Turanza as it have been proven over a long time. Does anyone know the difference between the Turanza ER60 and the Turanza AR20? Nonetheless, I would consider the other brands as well if they meet my requirements as stated above.

Any suggestions on this would be welcome.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #59
. It is now around 78k Kms and the shoulder on the front two of my Acceleres have nearly ripped off with the steel wires lay threadbare. I am guessing this was due to improper alignment and irregular WA/WB (my father uses this car). Temporarily I have swapped them with the rear two tires (which are more than in perfect shape and thread,
One of the reason for shoulders wearing faster than the mid part is hard cornering, do you do that frequently?

The car is driven generally in the city, but many, many long trips (1000 Km+) have been a regular feature too. I drive quite hard on the highway and very carefully in the city. My primary need is for a tyre which can take a lot of beating (less punctures and bulges) and be low on wear and tear, be low on road noise (a little is acceptable) and have good drip/handling on dry as well as wet surfaces.
AR 20, Yoko Earth 1 (both symmetrical) are better for your requirements however for hard cornering you need to go for asymmetrical tyres.
I personally like the BS Turanza as it have been proven over a long time. Does anyone know the difference between the Turanza ER60 and the Turanza AR20?
Here is link. AR 20 are advanced version of ER60.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/12651-new-tyres-tata-manza.html
Any suggestions on this would be welcome.
Xm2 are best only if you are careful on potholes to avoid sidewall bulge, ironically they are designed by Michelin to withstand the pothole craters.!!
About C drives I don't have experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs.

One of the reason for shoulders wearing faster than the mid part is hard cornering, do you do that frequently?
I would say so, as on long trips with full day driving, there are many places where the tarmac is amazing (Golden Quadrilateral roads) and it is easy to go into a subtle corner at >120 kmph.

AR 20, Yoko Earth 1 (both symmetrical) are better for your requirements however for hard cornering you need to go for asymmetrical tyres.
Aah, that's a good suggestion. Guess it will boil down to price, then.

Here is link. AR 20 are advanced version of ER60.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/12651-new-tyres-tata-manza.html

Xm2 are best only if you are careful on potholes to avoid sidewall bulge, ironically they are designed by Michelin to withstand the pothole craters.!!
About C drives I don't have experience.
I am sold on the Turanza (as you suggested AR20 over the ER60) and now will also check the Yoko E1, however, the Indian auto forums (including TAI) have heaped praises in the Michelin XM2 (and the XM 1+ before it), with some claiming they lasted 50K + Kms. For me as I said, if the tyre aint hardy, it aint for me. Yes noise and cornering are somewhat important, but not before durability, ride quality and grip.

Top Bottom